Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wireless temp sensor?

I bought a weather station cause I like to know the inside and outside temp...

I'd like it to accurately read outside temp, moving and stationary, genny running or not.

I searched a bit for locations to put the wireless outside temp sensor. Note this gizmo, while meant to be used outside, is not actually weatherproof.

Best I found was inside a rear view mirror, alas, not an option, no idea how to get them apart.

Next best is either inside the poropane compartment, or in one of the fantastic vent covers on the roof.

What say you?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #2

I zapped mine to the underside of one of the slides, always in the shade and readings seem accurate when parked. I don't try to read it when underway so can't say how it would be then. I don't think inside the mirrors would work as enclosed spaces can heat up in the sun.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I put one on the LP tank bracket, out of the sun but you get heat from the exhaust.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Mine is on the propane tank. Because it's a pusher, there's no exhaust to worry about. I also have a thermometer in the toad that is very accurate. The wireless sensor always reads a couple of degrees warmer so it's picking up heat somewhere.

I guess I'll keep searching . . .
Old 10-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I got a small battery powered inside/out that has a wired sender. I ran the wire through the rubber boot that is around the steering wheel and mounted the sender on a bracket behind the hood and well above any road splash. Now, all I have to do is keep the AAA battery fresh and wait to see if it works as advertized.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed a wired one so I would know what the temp is while driving. "Don't like black ice". Mine works with AAA batteries. I fed the wire through the rubber boot that is around the steering wheel shaft and the senser sticks to a surface behind the grill. Mine is well above the road surface and out of any open grill area. It works well in the parking lot! Now I just need to keep a fresh battery and wait for a road trip. I believe it cost me around $10 at a truck stop.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have two sending units. I put one in a battery tray, out of the sun and not it a closed compartment and the other in the water bay to monitor the temp in case of freezing.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #8

Ours is the wired type - the wireless ones I've tried were unreliable, dropped the signal too often. Our sending unit is installed behind the lower front splash panel just above the bumper - no issues with the elements, works great...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hooked mine to the propane tank, alas the generator heats that area however.
Under the rear cap, or just behind the front bumper (Best) though in my case (Gasser) the front bumper can see some engine heat when stationary.... I'm nto often stationary with engine running.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #10

I have two of them. One set I place in the refrigerator and the remote in the freezer. I can then tell the min/max temp which lets me know if the freezer thawed out and refroze. The other one, I put the remote in a ziplock gallon freezer bag and taped it to the inside of the propane compartment close to the bottom which is open to the road.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote