Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Woman living in RV parked on Deerfield Beach, and it is legal

https://www.wpbf.com/article/woman-l...legal/30141559

https://kubrick.htvapps.com/htv-prod...g?resize=660:*
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #2

She owns the property, and there is no zoning law prohibiting her from parking her RV on her property.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like she owns the property and there is nothing illegal about it. Hopefully the city will wake up and by the property or maybe a couple of the condo complexes can buy it.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe no law now but you can bet there will be one coming in the future.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #5

7 grand a year taxes on a piece of vacant land. No wonder she wants to live on it. You cant build on it. If you cant even park your rv there, what good is it.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #6

I love it! If someone wants to change it, buy it!
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

I wonder how she empties her holding tanks?

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #8

Wonder if she been through the hurricanes or did she move in recently? The RV doesn't appear to be level... wouldn't work for me!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I understand the point she is trying to make and agree with her (at least from what the article provides). I would have parked something much more wretched on the beach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

If Deerfield doesn't have a zoning reg prohibiting that, it's probably an oversight that will get corrected soon. Most counties and municipalities only allow people to stay in an RV overnight if it is in a designated RV park. Even where I live far outside any city in north central Florida, I've been turned in twice for allowing people to sleep in my RV overnight. Always by some busybody, not a neighbor. The zoning guys even apologize, but they have no choice but to enforce the regs once there is a complaint.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #11

Deerfield Beach City ordinance:

It shall be unlawful for any owner of a recreational vehicle, bus, boat or trailer to park any recreational vehicle, boat, bus or trailer on residentially zoned property within the city except as provided for in sections 66-119—66-123 and except for such a vehicle or boat which is actually in transit and parked overnight in the parking area of a licensed hotel or motel and owned by a person who is a registered guest at such motel or hotel. The special magistrate shall have the jurisdiction and authority to hear and decide alleged violations of the provisions of this subsection (b). Alleged violations shall be processed in accordance with the provisions of article VI of chapter 2 of this Code.

It's probably also forbidden by Broward County Code but I didn't look it up.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #12

Without the "except as provided for in sections 66-119—66-123" it sounds like you can't park the little trailer you use to transport your lawnmower in your own back yard. Could be but I have a doubt. I'd have to see the exception sections too to make any sort of call at all.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Deerfield Beach City ordinance:

It shall be unlawful for any owner of a recreational vehicle, bus, boat or trailer to park any recreational vehicle, boat, bus or trailer on residentially zoned property within the city except as provided for in sections 66-119—66-123 and except for such a vehicle or boat which is actually in transit and parked overnight in the parking area of a licensed hotel or motel and owned by a person who is a registered guest at such motel or hotel. The special magistrate shall have the jurisdiction and authority to hear and decide alleged violations of the provisions of this subsection (b). Alleged violations shall be processed in accordance with the provisions of article VI of chapter 2 of this Code.

It's probably also forbidden by Broward County Code but I didn't look it up.
I gotta' believe that if the code section you quoted was all it took she would have been removed long ago. I suspect you haven't found all the applicable regulations but I bet the city lawyers and the woman's lawyer have a pretty good idea what all the applicable laws say and it's probably a lot more than your quoted section.

I've always thought a taxing entity should be required to purchase a piece of property for whatever appraisal value they use to tax the property if the owner chooses to sell at that price. That would stop most of the over inflated property tax appraisals that cities come up with to raise tax revenues.

If she is actually paying $7,000 in taxes I imagine the tax appraiser has the property appraised near $1,000,000. If it's really worth that you'd think the city would be glad to buy it from her for half that.

Actually, I did a little more research and found that the location of the motorhome is on a piece of privately owned property zoned as zoning classification "S". Defined as beach and recreational. Since it is not zoned as residential space then section 66 does not apply.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #14

I suspect that her lot, located between the water and some point inland, is not zoned residential and therefore not subject to the zoning restrictions quoted, above. What the zoning is on that parcel has not been made clear but it's certain that her attorney knows that she has no zoning violation.

In the background, you can see the condos and homes, but they clearly are not within the same area, close to the water, as the RV owner. Those lots are zoned residential and subject to enforcement. Hers appears to be otherwise. The article alludes to "public use" of her land and ones alongside, for "years," and refers to her desire to see the land used by the public as well.

The stumbling block appears to be the price. It is not over $1 million as suggested. The article states, according her attorney, the city is unwilling to "pay the $500,000 price tag." The city can certainly move to eminent domain procedures, but those require payment of a "fair price" for the property, and given the location, her asking price may not be out of line. I wouldn't be surprised if the city has already thought through the eminent domain tactic but opted against as they may find themselves with a court decided amount that exceeds her asking price.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park