Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wonderful problem to have! Help us with our decision!

We are going to be snowbirds for the first time in January and February! We are thrilled to be so fortunate. Our dilemma is choosing where to go. We want to travel and probably won't spend more than a few days in one spot. We probably won't travel more than 200 mi in one day. our starting point is S. Indiana. This forum has been so great, wondering if any of you would share your past favorite winter travel plans? Thank you so much!
Cathy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #2

Yup, nice problem! Google "best southern us road trips" and you will find lots of ideas. As you hit each state (I would start in the west or the east to keep from back tracking), google "best (state) road trip." Each state likely has cool places that are not common knowledge and you want to find those.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
We are going to be snowbirds for the first time in January and February! We are thrilled to be so fortunate. Our dilemma is choosing where to go. We want to travel and probably won't spend more than a few days in one spot. We probably won't travel more than 200 mi in one day. our starting point is S. Indiana. This forum has been so great, wondering if any of you would share your past favorite winter travel plans? Thank you so much!
Cathy
IlliniCathy, Wishing you safe and happy trails this winter. We too are looking to travel again in January and February. Having recently completed our 5000 mile maiden trip through the northwest August - October, my wife and I plan to travel further south from our home in north Louisiana, either towards Florida or towards Arizona. We are still trying to decide which.

One unexpected problem we had this last trip was finding public and private campgrounds to 'nest' at. It wasn't difficult to find one or two night spots, but finding weekly stays was very burdensome. It seems that there was not enough CGs for the number of RVers traveling. This is one the more disappointing facts that I learned about RV traveling. And, lack of facilities is what I am concerned about for January and February. I don't want to constantly be going from one CG to another every two days. Also, CGs seem to jack up their prices accordingly.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post

Cathy

If your goal is to get to reliably warm weather then you will have to go to south Florida. This means south of Tampa and south of the Calusahatchee is best. This will require some serious searching at this late date to find availability.

If your goal is to get out of the snow belt and serious cold then you have many more options & lots more availability. You will still need cool weather clothing but you can leave the heavy stuff at home. Last year, we attended the Tampa Super Show & then started west around the Gulf coast as far as South Padre Island and the Rio Grande valley. Lots of availability. We typically called a couple of days in advance to make sure we could get in.

You could travel directly down the Great River Road route to the New Orleans area & then west or you could go directly to the Rio Grande valley & bounce around.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #5

From your name, I would assume that you are in Illinois. It probably doesn't make sense to go both east and west in the same year. We have also found that when spending an entire season on the road, two or three days in each place is not enough. You also haven't told us what type of camping you like to do. Are you into fancy RV resorts, boondocking, or something in between.

We usually start with a week to 10 days in Everglades National Park. followed by a week to 10 days in Big Cypress National Preserve. For both of those places, reservations (at least a few days in advance) are helpful, but not absolutely essential.

Then we slowly start heading north. Along the way. we stop at one or two of Florida's wonderful state parks. Again. reservations will help. You can usually call their reservation system and find a few parks that have openings the next day.

We will spend a week or so in the Ocala National Forest. We have never made advanced reservations there.

Continuing north, we spend at least a week in the Apalachicola National Forest, again, without advanced reservations. While there, we will spend at least two days visiting the St. Marks National Wildlife Preserve. There are loads of other sites in that RE that we love to visit.

There are several wonderful beachfront state parks in the panhandle. Our favorites are St. Joseph Peninsula and St. George Island. Both are very popular, and will require reservations well in advance.

Another nice beach site worth a week is the Gulf Islands National Seashore. If you are not tied to specific dates, you can usually get reservations just a few days in advance.

That should be enough to fill your winter. Have fun.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Google Quartzite AZ there are lots of open space for boon docking. Plus lots of stuff to see Jan,Feb,& March.
Also Google "DesertUSA Newsletter" for more free idea's
We were able too get a spot @ a campground/resort back around the 1st of Nov. for all 3 months, We will have a toad to see the sites plus our bicycle's for some exercising.
Is it time to leave yet

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
We are thinking of Az for a winter trip from Virginia. I will only have about twelve days total for the round trip. Is this a bit more than I should try? Lot of miles not much time... I may have to reconsider.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
We are thinking of Az for a winter trip from Virginia. I will only have about twelve days total for the round trip. Is this a bit more than I should try? Lot of miles not much time... I may have to reconsider.

What is the goal of your trip? You are looking at a 4500 mile round trip in twelve days. The I40 corridor can have significant bad winter weather.

Or you can be down in the Florida panhandle or Gulf coast in two days & have some time to enjoy mild weather.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
What is the goal of your trip? You are looking at a 4500 mile round trip in twelve days. The I40 corridor can have significant bad winter weather.

Or you can be down in the Florida panhandle or Gulf coast in two days & have some time to enjoy mild weather.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Not really sure where we are going. Az was a thought. Panhandle of Florida sounds nice. I think that may be a better choice. Thanks my friend. As a retired OTR trucker I sometimes don't think about the distance traveled in a day and have to be reminded by the DW that it is too far to go. I think I'll start looking for CGs for a trip to the panhandle! Thanks again
Old 11-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Great ideas everyone! Keep them coming, probably lots of people like us thinking about winter travel. I am so excited. This will be our first ever big trip! And our first time ever being away from the winter weather!
Cathy
Old 11-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #11

IlliniCathy: I'd suggest heading straight south to the Alabama Gulf Coast. Gulf State Park is a winner in Gulf Shores, Alabama. There are also many RV parks in the area. You'd have a nice day trip to Pensacola, FL from there or even take your towed vehicle on the short ferry trip from nearby Fort Morgan to Dauphin Island and then drive for a day to see some things around Mobile. There's lots to do around the Gulf Shores, Alabama area including a lovely white beach. Jan/Feb can still be cool at night but the days warm up - usually. It's not going to be ocean swimming weather.

From there you can get back on I-10 and head east or west, as you wish. We're partial to Arizona.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
We are going to travel Route 66 from beginning to end. It starts up your way somewhere and goes south then west. It is an iconic route that has lots of character and LOTS of places to stop and things to see. We are really looking forward to it.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #13

IlliniCathy: I can relate to your excitement about this trip. We were in the same situation last year and had an awesome experience. Wherever you go, and whatever you do, have a great time. We traveled around Florida and stayed anywhere from 4 days to 1 week at each location. At each location we felt like we could have stayed longer but because it was our first trip, we wanted to just bounce around FL ans see what was there. Check out St. Augustine if you are anywhere in the vicinity. There is so much history there. We stayed at Anastasia State Park and enjoyed it. In fact, Florida has really a lot of nice state parks. You can also check out the COE Parks. They're very reasonably priced with the senior pass. We particularly enjoyed WP Franklin Park. They are not always easy to get reservations but it's worth a try. With any luck, we'll be repeating the trip next winter. Have a great time!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUU View Post
We are going to travel Route 66 from beginning to end. It starts up your way somewhere and goes south then west. It is an iconic route that has lots of character and LOTS of places to stop and things to see. We are really looking forward to it.
This is what I wanted to do when I bought my 64 convert. Then I bought his MH and now want to do the same but in the MH... Hoping next summer. Enjoy and tell us about it,
Thanks,
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote