Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

Wondering how many days will a tank of propane lasts heating a coach in winter ?

I have a year 2000 Hurricane. I was wondering how long will a full tank of propane last if I use it to heat a coach during camping in around 40 degree outside weather. I do not need an exact answer, just a best guess biased upon experience. I do not know how big my propane tank is, and I guess I would run the heat to keep the coach about 75 degrees in 40 degree outside temps. Just if someone can give me a best guess biased upon their own actual experiences. Has anyone used the thermostat heat during CONTINUAL temps in the 40 degree range, say during the winter months dry camping, where you need to run the heat all day and all night in winter temps. Thanks
Markrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

How much LP does it hold?
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were in a volunteer campground in New Mexico for the winter. Temps were below freezing every night, down to 7 degrees a few times. We were running two electric heaters and still went through a 100 pound propane cylinder every 12 to 14 days. Fortunately it was paid for by the National Wildlife Refuge. One of the benefits of volunteering.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #4

I believe the capacity is 88 pounds of LP gas ..... not sure if that sound correct.
Markrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not exactly sure of our tank size, but we have spent some time where the temp would be in the 20's at night and low to mid-30's during the day. Maximum of around two weeks for us.
townsendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just checked, we have a 150 lb. LP tank in our rig. Again, around two weeks when the temps are near or below freezing. We have a 41 ft with 4 slide outs and two furnaces. Hope this helps.
townsendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Our 80lb tank lasts about 3 weeks running the furnace during cold (near or at freezing) nights and not much hot water use. This is in a 32-foot, reasonably insulated coach with no slides, so the interior volume ti heat is fairly compact. Days were sunny and in at least in the 50's, so it wasn't needed in the day. Daytime heating and more hot water use would consume it faster; it wouldn't take much to push it down to 2 weeks or so with more use. The furnace is far and away the most propane-hungry appliance.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 26gal usable (100lb) tank in my 34' with a 3x16' slide. Seems to me at 20-30 degrees at night, 50s in day, it would last about 9 days before I got nervous.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #9

Even if you have a 150 lb tank, they get to be a PIA if you have to break camp and seek a propane dealer. Once I found a dealer that required that he do a $200 inspection on the motor home before he would fill it. The motor home was 2 years old at the time. He did not get my business so I went to the next town. The electric heaters sure took a load off the propane furnaces, but I still had to fill every two weeks in Louisianna in January.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #10

Definitely get an electric blanket.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A down comforter works great at night - little or no heat needed - thus extending fuel a lot longer.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
75º seems a bit high, but to each his own. Using an electric heater or two if hooked to shore power would be my choice, especially if it's unmetered. In addition you might be using propane for cooking and heating water, so it's hard to predict how long your tank will last. Keep shades down and buy some foil faced bubble wrap insulation and cut to fit your windows. Also as others have suggested, turn down heat at night and use comforter or electric blanket.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I would normally have suggested an electric blanket as well a few years ago but then I did some research and found that an electric heating pad uses less electric. Well I know for me and for others with bad backs that using the heating pad also seems to have the benefit of also alleviating some of the pain in the back so less aches in the morning. Less electric and less pain? Yep we switched to the electric heating pad.
If you are hooked to shore power I would add in an electric heater of some sort. We put in a fireplace and use the heating pad for a little extra at night during the cold temps.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #14

Wow, I never realized how much propane people used, nor do I understand it.

I Boondock, and high usage for me, in below freezing weather is nearing a gallon a day, but then I do not heat during sleep time. I'm in a 35 foot, all metal RV but block off the rear bedroom when heating.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, propane, tank, winter