Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Be careful what you ask of your wife. We recently stayed a few days in the N Georgia mountains near Dillard and Highlands NC at the River Vista RV Resort. When pulling into the site I wanted to have as much room on the 'front' side of the MH as possible, so I crowded the left side. When I was hooking up after leveling, I realized I was too close and the rear slide would hit the power pedistal. Here, I must confess, I was partly to blame. Being lazy I did not unplug the power cord, I just pulled a few more feet from the reel. Then asked my wife, Miss Carol, to move the coach over about a foot as I directed her from the outside. She hit the retract and the levelers came up fine. She cranks up, releases the parking brake and the coach takes off backwards like it was off to a race. Cable was peeling off the reel and it was screaming like a wounded pig. After 10-15 feet she got it stopped. I had visions of the power reel being snatched out of the compartment, the coach running across the street and striking another vehicle or the rec center.
It scared me so bad I had to sit down. She was upset, saying there was something wrong with the MH, that she had her foot on the brake and it just took off.
Well, I did what I should have done to begin with. I put up the power cord and got in the driver's seat myself, cranked the engine and released the brake. It sat there and idled like it was supposed to. Ms C finally realized her foot was on the throttle rather than the brake. She has driven the previous coach out on the road and moved it around the yard at home. She has done the same, backing and moving this one etc, but never on the road.
In her defense, she has MS and very little use of her left arm and leg, but still she should have been able to tell the brake from the accelerator. Again, not picking on her, just trying to mitigate my own boneheaded action.
Little things get to be huge in mere moments. Do things in sequence as they should be done. Scared a few years out of me for sure!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Be careful what you ask of your wife. We recently stayed a few days in the N Georgia mountains near Dillard and Highlands NC at the River Vista RV Resort. When pulling into the site I wanted to have as much room on the 'front' side of the MH as possible, so I crowded the left side. When I was hooking up after leveling, I realized I was too close and the rear slide would hit the power pedistal. Here, I must confess, I was partly to blame. Being lazy I did not unplug the power cord, I just pulled a few more feet from the reel. Then asked my wife, Miss Carol, to move the coach over about a foot as I directed her from the outside. She hit the retract and the levelers came up fine. She cranks up, releases the parking brake and the coach takes off backwards like it was off to a race. Cable was peeling off the reel and it was screaming like a wounded pig. After 10-15 feet she got it stopped. I had visions of the power reel being snatched out of the compartment, the coach running across the street and striking another vehicle or the rec center.
It scared me so bad I had to sit down. She was upset, saying there was something wrong with the MH, that she had her foot on the brake and it just took off.
Well, I did what I should have done to begin with. I put up the power cord and got in the driver's seat myself, cranked the engine and released the brake. It sat there and idled like it was supposed to. Ms C finally realized her foot was on the throttle rather than the brake. She has driven the previous coach out on the road and moved it around the yard at home. She has done the same, backing and moving this one etc, but never on the road.
In her defense, she has MS and very little use of her left arm and leg, but still she should have been able to tell the brake from the accelerator. Again, not picking on her, just trying to mitigate my own boneheaded action.
Little things get to be huge in mere moments. Do things in sequence as they should be done. Scared a few years out of me for sure!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hi Doc,

The most important thing is that no one was hurt and nothing was damaged. Glad it turned out good. Hope to see y'all at the Pig Roast in Mt Airy.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Doc,
Glad everything was Ok, I have done things like that. I ask the Ms if I could tell about just one of them She said NO not at this time maybe later.
Jim
jimandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
We are planning on the Mt Airy get-together and hope it all comes together.
You know, I never thought about asking her about publishing the boner! My point was there are proper ways to do things and I tried to take a shortcut. Bit me right on my rather ample backside to!! Now Ms C may take a bite when she reads this.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Because I drive my 5 speed toad more than I drive my rig, when I first get into the rig and start driving, I hit the PARKING BRAKE because I am still in 5 speed drive mode. I have literally put a sign on the steering wheel that says "NO CLUTCH" to remind myself that it's an automatic. I cannot tell you the number of times that I have had to pull over, immediately after setting off, to pull release the parking brake. I'm going to put a tennis ball or something on the handle so I can find it easier - I'm still having to get out and look underneath the steering wheel for it! Note - I have a Class A CDL and drove big rigs for three months . . . but they were NOT automatics. So getting used to driving this automatic rig is a learning experience EVERY DAY. LOL!!