Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

workcamping on disability

Ok, I know this subject has been covered before but I could not find much information that really fits our situation. Our future plans included traveling the country at least 6 months at a time and working while traveling. I'm 57 and have been self employed my whole life in the flooring, tile, construction type trade and have been successful. Our problem started several months ago when we were days from departure on an extended trip.
I went down in the back which required major surgery which left me disability bound. I have since been accepted into ssdi. My question is
now under my current physical limitations, what is the outlook for finding possible workcamping situations. I do have a wonderful wife that has many abilities and I am still able to do many things but am limited. Most workcamping situations I am told require showing compensations to workers even if only for site. I obviously have to be careful about showing much income. Any other couples out there with a similar problem
and if so how did you overcome? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This little hickup in our plans has not changed our determination to get on the road. We are excited as ever but have to
change the "plan" we had worked on for months and need ideas of what we might be able to do comfortably. One other note....we are not afraid of work and responsibility and always like a challenge. Thanks again and look forward to hearing from our fellow travelers!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #2

you've got a problem. that being said, check out the kampwork posts. find one you like on your rving route. check in and get to know the staff. let them get to know you and your wife and see you enjoying youself in the campground. after a while in conversation ask about working there. some people with disabilities are better workers then those that have no disabilities other than stupid. after you get a few jobs then you'll have referals. good luck.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There probably won't be any difficulty find workamping jobs within your current capabilities. Many require little in the way of physical labor. The compensation issue is between you and the SSI people, not the campground. If you do not receive a 1099 or W2 for the value of the campsite that is the usual "pay", I would say you have no problem. Just make sure before accepting a position that you understand the nature of the compensation and whether taxable income will be reported.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Unless you require the income you can look at work-for-a-site type of posts rather than pure workamping (which are paid and can be more physical). These are what I'd call volunteer positions esp. at the state parks, national parks, BLM etc. Many of these can be done with a disability or more limited mobility and usually only require ~20 hours/week. For example this past year we volunteered as lighthouse hosts on the OR coast. The position required standing & talking, but otherwise was not difficult. My hubby hurt his back quite badly and was still able to do the job. There were other volunteer jobs at our same state park which were low-impact (for example evening program coordinator)

You won't get an income in these positions, but you'll get a free full hookup site.

Contact the state parks and talk to them.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife and I workcamp, and I am on ssdi.

There is litlle I can do so, the "agreement" between the parks and ourselvs is in my wifes name only. I do what little I can do to help out.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Camp "host" type positions rarely require much, if any physical labor. They are often volunteer positions in state federal parks.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would suggest to put the compusation in the wife's name and leave you out.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Like WheelingIt above, we also spent the summer volunteering in the Oregon State Park System. At one point we were all at the same state park. There are some jobs that are more physical than others. We were Yurt Hosts and Campsite Maintenance Hosts at one point which requires some amount of physical labor. On the other hand we were also Camp Greeting Hosts for a month which only required that you make your self available to the public to answer questions and provide information. In the evening you take a walk or a park supplied golf cart to make sure the restrooms were well supplied. The two most physical things we did, as Greeting Hosts, were to sell firewood and raise & lower the flags.

We were also Interpretive Hosts at another lighthouse further up the coast. There were some light housekeeping duties involved there, but beyond that, there was really no physical labor.

There are plenty of volunteer positions out there in some pretty neat places. When you apply ask a lot of questions. In the park where WheelingIt and I were there were a couple of volunteers who suffered from disabilities. You will find that most park staff are more than willing to work with you.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So, let me get this straight. If you are on disability the government won't let you work for compensation? Why is that?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
For 2012 I believe one can make up to $1010 a month without any reduction in benefits.

If you work full time, you could be deemed no longer disabled and your benefits could stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
So, let me get this straight. If you are on disability the government won't let you work for compensation? Why is that?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So if you are on disability, and can still make 1000 a month, why the need to hide income?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #12

disiability

Thanks for the replys. I was not sure how much I can legally make without loseing my disability compisition. I do know that I am required
to report any and all extra I do make and I cannot be fulltime. I will do much more investigating. Thanks all for your input. This is all new to me
so I don't want to start off doing it wrong.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Call Social Security.

That's where my information above came from.

They were very helpful and cooperative.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being your on SSDI you should have gotten a packet from them explaining a back to work procedure if an fact you wanted to try and work. There are limits and you best be under them if the compensation is reported or your benefits will be cut or lowered. You can also obtain this information online.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote