Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Working in different states, DL & address questions

I have a Texas Drivers License. We no longer have a home anchored to the ground, so no "physical address". What address should my drivers license reflect?

We are considering going to Kentucky for a year. Would we need to get Kentucky drivers license to work there?

Anything else I don't know about or should be aware of?

Thanks!

James
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't make any difference as long as you can meet the requirements of the state that issues it. Any states license is as valid as any other, regardless of where in the USA you go. Or Canada, for that matter.

Where things get sticky is if you work in a state, even part time, or enroll kids in school, or some similar thing. Many states have laws that stipulate you must register vehicles and obtain a DL in that state under those circumstances. But if you are moving on again in a few months, what to do? Most just ignore it, but if you stay too long in one place you will eventually run afoul of the license and tag thing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #3

You really need to research the residency laws of Kentucky. If you are in KY for a year I would think you would qualify as a resident of KY. Most states look upon you as a resident when you exceed the 183rd day in their state.

We have gone through a number of residency audits and they are not fun. States need and want money and if they THINK you are a resident then the burden of proof is on you as the taxpayer so make sure you know the laws of the state you will be in.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

Here is a link to KY residency requirements.

103 KAR 17:010. Residence.

As wnytaxman stated it is important to adhere to each states laws or you will find yourself owing taxes and penalties.

Each state can be different so if you are working in a state you need to research residency for that state.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
I have a Texas Drivers License. We no longer have a home anchored to the ground, so no "physical address". What address should my drivers license reflect?

We are considering going to Kentucky for a year. Would we need to get Kentucky drivers license to work there?

Anything else I don't know about or should be aware of?

Thanks!

James

In general, if you are working in a state your employer will withhold taxes for that state. If you are going to reside in a state you will be expected to take up residency (DL, registration and insurance). If you have residency in your primary state and expect to return there within a year you should not have a serious problem with the DL/registration issues.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

I was hoping it would not be complicated, but it appears to be. I would hate to transfer everything over from Texas to Kentucky for only a year. I may have no choice. I surely appreciate the input and the link. Thanks!!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
I was hoping it would not be complicated, but it appears to be. I would hate to transfer everything over from Texas to Kentucky for only a year. I may have no choice. I surely appreciate the input and the link. Thanks!!

You are going to pay KY taxes. I would hold off making residency changes until I knew where I was going to land for the long term.

Heck, buy a lot in Tennessee, make that your residence and "BAM!" You have a home address in a state without income taxes, low auto/trailer taxes and pretty low property taxes.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #8

I live in Nv and worked in Ca. The only thing i did was dual register my pickup which covered me for both states. I didnt change my DL and was stopped while driving a company truck and never questioned why i had a Nv DL.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote