Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #1

Question Worried about camping near salt water?

We are buying a Montana 5th wheel and want to camp very close to the beach so we can walk to the sand and sea.
However, after chatting with several others on other forums, we have become concerned about the salt-sea mist, salt-sea air/wind and salt-sea fog.
Others have told us the above items are VERY corrosive to all metal parts, whether painted or not, including our tow vehicle, the lower frame of the fifth-wheel, our bicycles, etc, etc. It is even supposed to be rough on the fabrics in the trailer and tow vehicle.
They say the metal items will begin to corrode and pit within two weeks and continue to get progressively worse UNLESS washed regularly. (Few campgrounds allow washing vehciles and campers and I can't picture washing the undercarriage of the RV every week anyway.)
We figure we may have to camp well away from the beach to avoid the salt, since we don't want to corrode/rust $125,000 worth of truck and RV (on which we can barely afford the payments in the first place.)
So, 2 questions:
1) What experiences have you had with corrosion/rust, parking very close to beaches for a month or longer at a time?
2) What information do you have about "how far from the beach would we have to camp to avoid the above salt-carrying items?" (1 mile, 10 miles, 30 miles, etc?)
Thanks very much for any experiences you have had which may help with this concern.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a motor home and all the coach's I have owned have been parked on beach's and I have always lived within 3 miles from coast. What ever salt air or fog within this area its never cause me a problem with materials on the coach.
The biggest problem is traveling on salty roads during winter months now thats a problem. No matter how well you think you washed the bottom of chassis the salt will beat you every time it gets into every thing.
One thing is lube all your moving parts like jacks, door locks and latches.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
A friend of mine live at the beach for two years, the salt spray did have an affect on both of the coaches that he owned during that time. The first MH was an'85 and the second MH was new at that time '99. He now owns a 2004 Country Coach, it only goes to the beach on limited basis. He was camped/living at Dockweiler RV Park in the L.A., CA area. There was no RV or car washing allowed. He had a front row spot (closest to the water), back then $700 a month, you couldn't go wrong. I used to visit him all of the time as I only lived twenty minutes away(surface streets). I had an old 1976 RV it would have been perfect for that environment, let it rot away, buy another. On EBAY right now, is a mid eighties class C that sent a lot of it's life in the beach area of San Diego, cab portion not too good.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #4

What they said X3. Just as an example we camp at Assateague State Park. After that week at the "shore" it is necessary to oil all the bicycle chains, and thoroughly wash all surfaces of everything inside and out. The extra salt is carried everywhere, over, under, around and through. But we like it!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #5

Our stick house is across the street from houses on marina saltwater frontage, about a mile from the beach on Burrows Bay (Anacortes, WA). Our soon to arrive, new to us (it's an 02) RV will live there too, when we're not out using it.

The only significant problem with the house has been the brass entry door hardware. Within 4 years it look really shabby. We've been looking for solid stainless steel for a while, but haven't found any.

I'm sure we'll have minor problems with the RV, but that's what living in a seaside town brings, Get used to it. I can't see a few weeks a years at salt-water beachfront campgrounds would cause a serious problem.

Frank Damp
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Bring it on down here to the gulf coast. There's enough oil in the water to coat anything you've got and keep it from rusting.

I know, sick humor, but we have to do something to stay sane.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I agree that falling asleep to the sounds of breaking waves on the beach or breakwater is appealing but if that's what you want rent a boat. The salt will take its toll on your electrical system, the cooling unit on your refrigerator and your chassis. The door mechanism will start to seize and hinges will start to squeak. Last but certainly not least will be the depreciation you'll take on your unit at trade in.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
Bring it on down here to the gulf coast. There's enough oil in the water to coat anything you've got and keep it from rusting.

I know, sick humor, but we have to do something to stay sane.
That's funny
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote