Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-20-2015, 05:37 AM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well if you still have a tractor or two lying about, Get a 5er to put where you normally put trailers and.... (Heck some of those tractors rival my class A for interior comfort).

When you do your calculations consider this: What are you spending on the Sticks & Bricks.. ok, kiss that cost goodby.. now how much does that leave you.

I register in Michigan actually live there much of the time,, I paid thousands in property taxes on the S&B, which had an appraised value roughly equal to this class A,,, I pay less than 400 a year in taxes now, That covers (most years) most of my parking fees and gas in one shot.

I paid for water, sewer, Electric, Natural gas (about 50/month average) I now buy Propane 2 or 3 times a year (60 bucks) that is all folks.

(Water, Sewer and electric included in parking fees).

It really is a less expensive way to live if you do it right.

I save quite a bit on parking (normally) by using membership camping,

With just one membership you can get parking down to around 200/month or less,, Just now, thanks to a mechanical issue, I pay more, but that's cause there is no membership park where I broke down.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:50 AM   #16
I will throw in my 2 cents. I am assuming your truck is a half ton? I pulled a 7,000 lb tt short distance with a 96 chevy half ton truck. That sucked. IF you get a MH you can sell the truck.

93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My deal

I bought a 1982 Pace Arrow going on 5 years ago for $4500.00. I spent maybe $2000.00 and most of that was things I wanted done or changed.
I have no worries to take it on the drop of a hat anywhere. She also toes our toad with no problems. I did go with a higher end Car Caddy a year later. Cost almost as much as the PA They are out there.
Best-O-Luck to ya,
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #18
Still Worried and Confused

I dont know how to go into my op so just making a new one. To answer some of the questions you had, I will try to give more info.

The Z71 we have is paid for. It has been garage kept oil changes, etc. I know we would have to have it looked at for hoses, brakes etc. I also know with the 129000 miles, it would need to be a smaller TT maybe 24 or 25ft.

To the poster that commented on our commitments, no we would not be running from anything. We are letting our son and family take over payments on our home, and dont want to live with him and his family. Love them, but want peace for all of us. Lol

The MH or TT questions still stands. We are trying to be smart about things and research. We are going to go and just look at TT and MH this weekend, to see what will work for us.

How much insurance difference is between the MH and TT? Is a TT more trouble to disconnect and set up?

Like I said, we dont and wont have alot of money, so we are trying to weigh the options, and come up with something we can do. We will be staying, for the most part, at least 2 weeks at a time, where all our money wont go on fuel.

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions, they have helped alot.
98723A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
As Adam from Mythbusters would say, "Well, there's your problem." Most people who chuck it all and hit the road use the equity in their S&B to give them the necessary funds at least to start.

Any chance your son could kick in a little? I know if my parents had given me a house, I'd want to.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 35' - White Tiger
Cape Cod
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #20
Jim J has an excellent idea about Work Kamping. Also for 2 X-truckers a 24-25 foot TT would be spacious until you get acclimated to the life style of camping. Registration in Mi. for a mtr. hme. is expensive EVERY year and you only pay for plates once for a TT. Ins. U must shop around. I would think mtr. hme. would be more. And the only commitment I would make is to myself in making this work. You come first, and we all here know you guys can do it. Good Luck.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by 98723A View Post
I dont know how to go into my op so just making a new one...The Z71 we have is paid for...(towing with) it would need to be a smaller TT maybe 24 or 25ft....

How much insurance difference is between the MH and TT? Is a TT more trouble to disconnect and set up?...

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions, they have helped alot.
On iRV2, each post is open to the author for editing for 1 hour. After that a new post is best

Now, back on topic...cutting to the bottom line. - Cost.
The TT would be your least expensive option. There are many-many TT's in the mid-20' range. The Z71 would probably be near or at it's weight limits with much over 25'. Those RV's built best for full-timing and the "4 Season" rigs and will be even heavier.

Hook-up/Drop-off is not a big deal for a TT. We did it for years (2 pop-tops & 2 TT's). The motorhome is easier, of course. For the Z71, you might find you want a weight distribution hitch to keep the trucks rear from sagging (and they can reduce sway too). WD hitches can be found on Craigslist for little money.

Insurance is a wild card - based on the individual owner and location. It will surely be MUCH less than insurance on a motorized RV. Some companies will not offer a policy if using the RV to live-in full-time...and in contrast, some companies will cover the TT with the Truck's policy (assuming no title lien on the TT).

My Grand-dad retired from the Navy in the late 60's, bought a Shasta TT and drove all over America for years towing it behind an El Camino! It can be done and can be very affordable.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #22
Well, with what you've said, I would suggest a nice TT. Something you can pull with your present truck.

Then, play the waiting game. You will come across many RV's, of all types while traveling. With a bit of luck, you will be in the right place at the right time and come across a really good deal. Places that attract a lot of "Snowbirds", or "Winter Texans" is a god place to look. Many folk make the decision that "this is our last year", and instead of towing or moving their rig North, they tend to sell at a bargain where it is.

I would also suggest that you consider staying at any given park for at least a month. Many parks have a very good monthly rate, compared to their weekly rate.

Consider South Texas (Rockport) for a Winter. There are parks that you can get for as little as $200.00 a month. These parks usually don't offer a lot in the way of pools, gyms, and so on, but have social activities, and of course, you can always find other things to do outside the park.

Once again, don't rush into things, check everything, and do your homework. And make a point of looking in every cabinet, cupboard, and drawer, checking for leaks, water damage, and dry rot. Once you get the hang of things, you will learn to live well at what ever you budget requires. AND, if where ever you are ain't working for you, pick up your toys and go somewhere else.

You are gonna have a great time, with a few adventures just to make it interesting.

Good Luck

Ken Gasbarri
Be Of Good Cheer!!!
DraginRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #23
You may wish to retain home and rent to family.

Will or contract to cover end of life issues.

Having home make for escape if needed.

If no equity then may not matter.

Suggest visiting a bank or other source of reliable financial advise as simple planning can make huge difference as well as budgeting for general expenses and expectations.

It is what they do fo a living...
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #24
Welcome , this is a good place to be to learn things, there's people here that have the big 400 thousand plus motorhomes to the ones that have a tent. Lots of expertise , then there's me and my wife, don't have a lot of income but a bit of a nest egg, couldn't find a motorhome that we liked , and we looked in the 25-30 range, not our style most had some sort of repairs needed. So I converted a school bus full size , what a blast , go anywhere tough as nails, takes time and you can spend as much money as you want.
gbstewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #25
My advice is to not get in a hurry. There are people getting out of RVing daily. Many want to sell their truck and trailer together. Take your time and good luck.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #26
Keep eyes open as good deals are there.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #27
I won't read too far into you financial situation because it not my business and you didn't give a lot of info about it.

Your truck is not enough truck to pull a trailer that you would live in full time. Its older with high miles which is not ideal but not a deal breaker. If the same Silverado was a dually or 2500 you would be golden. You need a 3/4 ton or better truck to handle a longer heavier TT or 5ver.

The second thing is can you finance? If so there are really decent 8-12 year old Motorhomes out there that can be had for the same price as a used truck and trailer. Also you could use the $15,000 on a truck and finance a trailer, that would be the simplest way if you are not hung up on a MH like my wife is. I know because we have done the research but are holding off for something new.

You would either need to get more truck which will open up many doors as to which trailers you can pull. Or go for a 10 or so year old MH and tow your current truck as a toad if it is within weight ratings.
2016 Jayflight 32 BHDS Fiberglass sides. Golf cart
06' Chevy CC Dually 6.0. 20k hitch NO w/d bars. 16" wheels & LT TIRES
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #28
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I would agree especially at private campgrounds, must don't give a discount unless it is a months stay. Some will give you a deal like pay for 6 days and get the 7th free. Especially in the summer (up north) or winter (down south) your not going to find many discounts in the peak seasons.

Paying $30 / $40 a night ($900 / $1200 a month), without a discount will really add up. You could do as many do and volunteer at state or federal parks for a free site. (Camp Hosts). Some are 2 week commitments others are a month or season long.

There are some nice trailer floorplans in the sub 31' range that are not really for families, but are well suited for couples. The one floorplan I'm thinking of is like this one from Winnebago 27RBDS All the RV makers have some form of this floorplan offered over the last 5 years. They all have a huge bathroom, large pantry and good sized living room with the two slides. Weight wise you are looking at 6000 to 6500lb dry. Yes, it is about 30' to 31', but I don't see why your truck can't handle it, unless it had the small V-8..I'm going to assume with the Z-71 package it has the larger V-8.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote