Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Worried Newbie

Leaving Feb 16th to pick up our 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder in Calif & driving it back to Maryland.
The Calif dealer said they don't give temporary tags for out of state buyers..."we can use our Bill of Sale if stopped by the police
Have you every heard of this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #2

NOPE. Contact your local DMV and either get a license plate based on the vehicles VIN and bill of sale or get a temp to place on the vehicle while driving back home. When we picked up our MH years ago in CA I got a bill of sale from the dealer and got plates from DMV. Flew to CA picked it up and installed the plates and drove home. Never gave it another thought.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #3

Cool

Actually, I have heard of that, some states allow it, but you want to make sure you have some form of Proof of Insurance along with the correct bill of sale and associated documents.
As far as I know I have never met a policeman who stopped an RV for not having the temp tag on it....
Old 02-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Consider contacting California DMV. They may have a paper tag you can buy that is good for 30 days. I hope you got a good deal on the coach. The dealer that refuses to help you in this matter would not get my business. At a minimum they should guide you through the process. The best would be if they completed the process for you (there would be a fee). All that being said, in California, the tag stays with the vehicle. So if you are buying pre-owned there should be a tag on the vehicle.

On Edit: If it is not too late, I'd let the dealer know closing the sale is dependent on them providing you the process on how to get the coach tagged for the trip back home.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

We you get home with your coach how about post how much fuel it took.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
When I bought my coach in NV, the dealer provided me with the bill of sale and dire away slip. I had 15 days to return to Alaska and get my AK plates. Was a little worried about going through customs at the border but no problems.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #7

A few years back when I was still driving over the road when I picked up a new flat bed trailer in IA to be deliveried in VA all the mfg did was attach a paper plate with their name and date and words "IN TRANSIT". I passed thru several DOT scales without problem tho I had a legal Transporters plate which I could have attached
Old 02-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Consider contacting California DMV. They may have a paper tag you can buy that is good for 30 days. I hope you got a good deal on the coach. The dealer that refuses to help you in this matter would not get my business. At a minimum they should guide you through the process. The best would be if they completed the process for you (there would be a fee). All that being said, in California, the tag stays with the vehicle. So if you are buying pre-owned there should be a tag on the vehicle.

On Edit: If it is not too late, I'd let the dealer know closing the sale is dependent on them providing you the process on how to get the coach tagged for the trip back home.
I think I'd have a talk with that dealer, If he did in fact refuse to help you. Unless it was a great deal, he'd own that coach.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I went thru this last summer. I went thru my state's DMV to get a transport "ticket" that I had to tape inside one of the roadside windows. It can be a strange process. Check out both CA's and your home state's procedures and then choose the one that is the easiest. Had I gone with the purchaser's state's process, I would have had to go to the DMV there and stand in line. My state's process was 100 percent online.

I also think it's weak sauce for the dealer to handle this as he is.

The good news is Beaver is a heckuva coach and within a couple of months of bringing it home, the ordeal of getting it there will be all but forgotten.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #10

no temp plates...

Actually, I've not only heard of it, it's quite common. On many "out of state" sales, there is no temporary plate. And in those cases, the dealer has no way to issue temporary plates. (Had you bought from an individual, how would you have secured any plates?)

If stopped for no plates (highly unlikely), you need only to be able to prove ownership (thus the bill of sale) and insurance (have your insurance proof also).

By the way, some might not be aware, that if you trade motorhomes, you do not automatically have insurance coverage on your new one (as with an auto), with many insurance companies.

Also, be aware that you have a limited number of days to get the vehicle registered, in your home state.

Tags