Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
I-10 around Lake Charles in Louisiana is bad, bad, bad. Make sure all your dental work is firmly in place before proceeding.
No doubt. Years ago I was towing about a 24' rental UHaul and a truck size pot hole snapped the 2" ball on the back of my truck. Luckily the chains held and I nursed to the side of the road. (Just out size Denham Springs). Brace yourself if traveling on 12. Safe travels.
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
[B]I've wondered for years if the folks responsible for the highways in Oklahoma are sensory-deprived. Those continuous ridges, bad enough in a car, are treacherous in a motorhome.

A couple of years ago, while suffering the insult of those many miles of the thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump . . . the microwave in our motorhome, complete with all the mounting brackets and screws, began to edge out from it's appointed space.

Now anytime we experience the same sort of continuous thump-thump-thump, no matter where we might be, one of will say, "Are we in Oklahoma?"
Yes I-40 though OK city was by far the worst I thought.

If you really want to know how smooth OR NOT a road is get a a Medium duty (class 6-7)Truck.
Since my RV is built on a Ford F-700 chassis I can tell you I agree 1000%

When I first got on this site, Some one told me, that some call MDT conversions a "Shake apart" ..........I now know why.
The First 2 Years mine was driven out west the suspension was as Ford built it. It has a 4000 lb rear spring rate (that means it take 4000 lbs to compress the rear springs 1 inch ) This vehicle weighs 13000 lbs.
My 4000lb Jeep has a 260 lb spring rate front and rear.

My RV has since been converted to Air ride suspension on the back. It is SOOO MUCH better than before.
On The Old suspension they Didn't even bother to include shocks. Not that it would have mattered.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I-65 through ALL of indiana is a disgrace. The govenor should have to drive it everyday to work,

I was moving some equip in northern Indiana last week on I-65. South of Lafayette there was a real bad section. After that section there were all kind of parts & pieces that had fallen off truck & cars. Unreal. Like chains, boomer, straps, wood skids. Our roads do need help.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
The Dempster Highway, from just outside Dawson City, Yukon Territory to Inuvik, NWT. 460 miles each way - improved dirt road to not so improved dirt road. Rough, slow, dusty - the main thing I learned is the next trip, I am leaving my rig in Whitehorse and renting SOMEONE ELSE'S to go there!
Old 05-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #47

anyone notice the coincidence that all our roads are falling apart and almost all our politicians are millionaires
Old 05-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #48

And our taxes keep climbing?? Not a good picture!!
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #49
Community Administrator

Political posts will be removed as it's against our rules. Let's stay on topic. Thanks, Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

I have often wondered about America's "crumbling infrastructure" and exactly WHY this isn't an excellent way to create new jobs and put people to work. Lots of jobs and lots of road repairs...win/win.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2 pennies...

Early in the thread someone nominated I-95 in SC. I'll second that. Just went from FL to Gaffeny and back. Let's play dodge the pot hole and alligators...

I'll also nominate route 48 between Danbury WI and I-95 in MN. Worst expansion joints I've ever seen.

On the well maintained but like a snake side ---Rt 129 from RT 64 in NC to Knoxville TN is the absolute worst road I've ever driven in a car. Would not even think about driving the coach.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #52

It was just released a month or so ago that the government is permitting the states to add tolls to the interstate highways. That should help with all the poor roads.
Brose38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Arizona, I -40 is a wreck and if that isn't bad enough the ADOT is now adding traffic circles on their secondary road intersections ! Their Logic as told to me when I called the ADOT to say what a stupid idea the circles are because they are causing wrecks !!
Ready for this ......what they told me was the wrecks are less dangerous because they are glancing impacts rather than getting T- Boned at an intersection.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
I can see that few responders have driven the Alcan or some of the roads in Alaska! The section of the Alcan between Destruction Bay and Beaver creek is not one that you want to travel often or fast. The other road is in Alaska between Tok and Glenn Allen. Hopefully the DOT in Alaska will be addressing this section, but do not count on it.

I agree
arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #55

Alpine Owners Club
As mentioned previously the Alaska Hwy between Destruction Bay and Beaver Creek is a frost heave mess. 90 miles of road that will take 5 hours or more to drive. I-5 southbound through Stockton CA is a filling rattler and I-40 in Arizona from Kingman to at least Flagstaff is an absolute mess. As for I-5 through Seattle, most of the road is now in good shape but traffic is the pits. I went through Salt lake City on I-15 three weeks ago. Went through about 10 in the morning and traffic was not too bad, roadway was in very good shape. In fact I-15 from MP 112 to the I-84/I-15 junction was the best interstate we've encountered.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The PA. Turnpike in construction zones. They make it so darn narrow.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote