Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
The PA. Turnpike in construction zones. They make it so darn narrow.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that takes notice of that high pucker factor highway. Narrow placement of orange barrels is bad enough but those temporary concrete barriers put me on edge. Notice the big black tire mark swirls on those barriers? 😬

> My motto: I like breathing. It gives me something to do ....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
I-95 North in South Carolina, South of I-26. We call SC the pothole state. This section of concrete roadway has been a problem for decades. The potholes are in a regularly spaced pattern on the right. In car, you can ride a little to the left in your lane and avoid most of them. But in an RV, you either have to straddle them using the emergency lane or stay in the hammer lane. Over the past few years, we've had 2 blowouts along this stretch of highway. Both the tire shops we've had to call have told me that it's good for their business.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I've wondered for years if the folks responsible for the highways in Oklahoma are sensory-deprived. Those continuous ridges, bad enough in a car, are treacherous in a motorhome.

A couple of years ago, while suffering the insult of those many miles of the thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump . . . the microwave in our motorhome, complete with all the mounting brackets and screws, began to edge out from it's appointed space.

Now anytime we experience the same sort of continuous thump-thump-thump, no matter where we might be, one of will say, "Are we in Oklahoma?"
If we are talking highway condition, I-40 west of Oklahoma City takes the blue ribbon. That stretch of highway will destroy an RV!

As far as congestion, Seattle, LA and Atlanta. I'll go a hundred miles out of my way to avoid these cities........
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Nationwide the condition or our roads is getting worse not better. We spend money to string steel cables down the median but don't have the money to fix the roads. I don't know about the rest of you but the cable barriers scare the crap out of me as a motorcyclist, it may stop a car from crossing the median but I can't see how it couldn't keep from cutting a motorcyclist into small pieces. On a local note, county roads that have been paved since the 60s - 70s are going back to gravel because the county can't afford to repave them and nobody will vote for a bond issue because they are already taxed to the limit. To add to the OT, I40 between Memphis and Little Rock is pretty bad.

Add to this I55 in Arkansas, thump thump does not even begin to describe it, more like bang, recoil, bang, recoil, etc. as each axle hits those blasted concrete joints. A great highway to make use of those ice cream making balls. At least there would be a tasty treat waiting for you
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brose38 View Post
It was just released a month or so ago that the government is permitting the states to add tolls to the interstate highways. That should help with all the poor roads.
I think that the states have their greedy eyes set on making the interstate highways toll roads. The excuse is that they don't have enough money to fix them so they let them go to pot so that we'll all gladly welcome the toll roads in order to get things fixed.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
I can see that few responders have driven the Alcan or some of the roads in Alaska! The section of the Alcan between Destruction Bay and Beaver creek is not one that you want to travel often or fast. The other road is in Alaska between Tok and Glenn Allen. Hopefully the DOT in Alaska will be addressing this section, but do not count on it.
Right on both counts. We drive the Alcan nearly every year in our RV and I concur to the fullest. I pull a big trailer full of snowmachines over the Tok Cutoff road several times per year too and it also is not good.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I think that the states have their greedy eyes set on making the interstate highways toll roads. The excuse is that they don't have enough money to fix them so they let them go to pot so that we'll all gladly welcome the toll roads in order to get things fixed.

They can also P up a rope !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #64
rjp

Alpine Owners Club
I-5 Portland is bad and I-5 Tacoma is worst and the real disaster is I-5 Seattle!
Old 05-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Yep, that's why I take as many of these roads as possible:
Nice photos. As to choice of highways, the quote that always comes to mind is, "Thanks to the interstate highway system, it is possible to drive all around the country without seeing anything."
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I-10 east or west from Texas to Mississippi including the section of I think I-20 that bypasses New Orleans over the swamp. Its a hodgepodge of new smooth highway mixed with old concrete washing board sections and make shift repairs. It will beat you and your ride to death. Just batten down and drive.
Any Farm-to-Market road in Texas is better than the best interstate highway in Louisiana.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Do you really think the tolls would go toward fixing roads? My fear is states would move the money to pay for shortfalls in areas having nothing to do with infrastructure. It's happened before. It would surely happen again.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #68

I got a kick out of this one: adopt a pothole and watch it grow.

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/0...atch-it-grow/#

The US interstates are not this bad yet, but likely could be in a few years the way things are going.

> My motto: I like breathing. It gives me something to do ....
Old 05-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
Do you really think the tolls would go toward fixing roads? My fear is states would move the money to pay for shortfalls in areas having nothing to do with infrastructure. It's happened before. It would surely happen again.
I agree. I'll try to keep this non-political so that the moderators don't come down on me, if you know what I mean. There are certain states that have absolutely ruined their finances with very little hope of recovery. Those states especially would have no qualms in stealing money from any source to perpetuate their ineptitude.

Nice two lane road far from an interstate:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1318.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	63982