Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #29

Foretravel Owners Club
I've driven most of the roads mentioned so far, but none are in the same league as I-5 through Los Angeles. Rougher than a dirt road, with the traffic lanes narrowed to 11 feet so they can fit another traffic lane on the freeway. They use the shoulder as half of the far right lane. That road shook us to pieces. Oh, did I mention that the traffic is very heavy unless it is rush when it becomes a parking lot.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

The worst road is the Top of the World Highway from the American border to Chicken, AK especially when it is raining.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmatt View Post
I've driven most of the roads mentioned so far, but none are in the same league as I-5 through Los Angeles. Rougher than a dirt road, with the traffic lanes narrowed to 11 feet so they can fit another traffic lane on the freeway. They use the shoulder as half of the far right lane. That road shook us to pieces. Oh, did I mention that the traffic is very heavy unless it is rush when it becomes a parking lot.
Now that's bad!! That's California for ya. I was driving I-10 in California between Chiriaco Summit and Desert Center and the roadsides looked like a 100 mile long dump. Garbage every inch of the way. Big garbage. I couldn't believe that I was in the USA.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidonato View Post
I-84 both East and West in Pa. from Scranton to the Delaware River bridge (approx. 40 miles) is just starting a MAJOR 6 yr. renovation. Experts state that the concrete is falling apart underneath the asphalt. Work has started near the Delaware River bridge and it is one lane each direction crossing over to each others lane. (East bound then West bound alternating back and forth, all one lane with Jersey Barrier's which make it a tight fit. Just go slow!! Travel safely.
X-2 went thru there last August my DW back has never been the same. Even with our great ride and slow focused driving it was a huge challenge. Happy to have had the long wheel base.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #33

Evergreen Owners Club
After reading all these posts, we may just camp under the rv cover. It's a pot hole free driveway to get there.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have to say that in all the roads I have traveled, Route I86 from Erie, Pa toward Binghamton, NY rattled us the worst. There are some sections so bad that my self leveling system needs to be recalibrated (I hope that's the only problem). We had rattles we did not ever hear before. My kidneys hurt by the time we stopped. What a lousy stretch of road.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It seem to me that the worst highways are made of Concrete. They all have the dreaded joints that beat you to death for mile after mile. If it's not the joints that get you it's the broken chunks that will wipe you out.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #36

Nationwide the condition or our roads is getting worse not better. We spend money to string steel cables down the median but don't have the money to fix the roads. I don't know about the rest of you but the cable barriers scare the crap out of me as a motorcyclist, it may stop a car from crossing the median but I can't see how it couldn't keep from cutting a motorcyclist into small pieces. On a local note, county roads that have been paved since the 60s - 70s are going back to gravel because the county can't afford to repave them and nobody will vote for a bond issue because they are already taxed to the limit. To add to the OT, I40 between Memphis and Little Rock is pretty bad.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #37

Worst stretch of road driven, beware

I know that I'm not alone when I say that a great deal of my forward looking attention is focused a short distance ahead and downward to watch for potholes. Then I have to quickly make a decision on which direction to maneuver to avoid dropping a wheel into a hole. It is damned dangerous to be forced to do the "dodge 'em" routine when other traffic is beside you. Going off the right can also be a life threatening event because some of the pavement edges are a drop off.

Gone are the days when you could expect new road construction to result in a good ride. Seems like construction standards have either been lowered or the standards are being ignored. Low bidder getting the contract is translating into "lowest quality" is acceptable.

Entire rebuilds (many miles) of concrete now seem to be up and down wavy slabs as soon as the road is reopened. I'm not a civil engineer, but still wise enough to notice that somebody must be signing off on sub-standard design and construction.

I fully agree with the above poster about that I-40 section. We try to plan around it, but the alternatives are not a bowl of cherries either.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I-95 south of Washington DC, particularly southbound. ALWAYS backed up.

Just an observation ... Everything that anyone has mentioned seems to involve an interstate highway. So we're all taking the opportunity to stay OFF interstates to better see the beauty America has to offer. We're doing that, right? Because, isn't *that* the kind of travel for which RVs are intended?

But, yes ... I'll be taking out my road atlas and highlighting all these roads with a red highlighter! Thanks, everyone, for sparing me some major aggravation.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
I-95 south of Washington DC, particularly southbound. ALWAYS backed up.

Just an observation ... Everything that anyone has mentioned seems to involve an interstate highway. So we're all taking the opportunity to stay OFF interstates to better see the beauty America has to offer. We're doing that, right? Because, isn't *that* the kind of travel for which RVs are intended?

But, yes ... I'll be taking out my road atlas and highlighting all these roads with a red highlighter! Thanks, everyone, for sparing me some major aggravation.
Yep, that's why I take as many of these roads as possible:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3900.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	63868   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3421.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	63869  

aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
I-10 around Lake Charles in Louisiana is bad, bad, bad. Make sure all your dental work is firmly in place before proceeding.
I-10 east or west from Texas to Mississippi including the section of I think I-20 that bypasses New Orleans over the swamp. Its a hodgepodge of new smooth highway mixed with old concrete washing board sections and make shift repairs. It will beat you and your ride to death. Just batten down and drive.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The bridge abutments on Hwy 10 in Texas and Louisiana. Approach at highway speeds and bam everything in the moho jumps an inch!
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
This concerns pretty much every interstate everywhere: we've been building interstates for over 60 years, why can we never make the road surface and the bridge the same level? Always BOOM up and then BOOM down (or vice-versa)....
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote