Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #1

Worst stretch of road driven, beware

What is the worst stretch of road that you have driven and why. Please share your story so others like me can learn.

For me it is always about 80 miles of I 15 through Provo, Orem, Sandy, West Jordan, Salt Lake and Ogden. I really doesn't matter what time i drive it, it is always busy except one time when I went through at 3 am.

The worst part by far is the Salt Lake area. The last three times i have driven it, there has been major traffic and accidents with the looky loos causing accidents on both sides of the freeway.

Just a month ago i had two rear enders happen in front of me too.

I just try to make sure i am rested, stay in my lane, relax and pay attention.

So what is your warning for me and others?

BE SAFE
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

I-65 from Louisville to Indianapolis. That road should be illegal. The truck traffic has beaten it to death. Potholes between the lanes and on the edges so that you can't dodge them. Pavement joints bad and shake your teeth out. Truck traffic is way too heavy. I traveled this section last summer and will never do it again until they resurface/repair the whole section.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I-65 from Louisville to Indianapolis. That road should be illegal. The truck traffic has beaten it to death. Potholes between the lanes and on the edges so that you can't dodge them. Pavement joints bad and shake your teeth out. Truck traffic is way too heavy. I traveled this section last summer and will never do it again until they resurface/repair the whole section.

I didn't even get to that point of sharing. I 15 is beat up too just as you mention above!
Old 05-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I-5 through Seattle is enough of a clogged artery to give a person a heart attack. I-5 in the Sacramento Stockton area is a fish ladder pretty much. They have been working on it since about 1960 and never seem to finish.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #5

I-5 through Seattle is on our list too. Don't be on it between 3:30 and 5 pm, shift change at Boeing. Going south we are pretty much stuck with it unless we want to cross over to 97. A couple of years ago we traveled from Palm Springs to Yuma, a stretch of highway near Westmoreland nearly shook my fillings loose. We have better logging roads.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #6

I-10 around Lake Charles in Louisiana is bad, bad, bad. Make sure all your dental work is firmly in place before proceeding.
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I've wondered for years if the folks responsible for the highways in Oklahoma are sensory-deprived. Those continuous ridges, bad enough in a car, are treacherous in a motorhome.

A couple of years ago, while suffering the insult of those many miles of the thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump . . . the microwave in our motorhome, complete with all the mounting brackets and screws, began to edge out from it's appointed space.

Now anytime we experience the same sort of continuous thump-thump-thump, no matter where we might be, one of will say, "Are we in Oklahoma?"
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #8

I'm in full agreement with aauummm...I-65 should be closed. I had a very large muffler come apart from falling-off those road joints every 20 feet!
Old 05-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #9

I-84 both East and West in Pa. from Scranton to the Delaware River bridge (approx. 40 miles) is just starting a MAJOR 6 yr. renovation. Experts state that the concrete is falling apart underneath the asphalt. Work has started near the Delaware River bridge and it is one lane each direction crossing over to each others lane. (East bound then West bound alternating back and forth, all one lane with Jersey Barrier's which make it a tight fit. Just go slow!! Travel safely.
pdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A 50 mile radius of Atlanta is unbelievable - any road any time in any vehicle. The roads are congested and yet people drive 75-80 in 65 mph zones and now they passed the get out of the way law so speeders would not get upset.

Dennis
Old 05-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post

Oh yeah for sure! It is the only interstate that I wish to get into a 5MPH traffic jamb so I can ease into and out of the chuckholes. And of course the method of repair is to toss in some loose black stuff and let the traffic pack it down. Lasts a few hours, and the only longer term difference is the chuckholes are darker in color.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Over the years we've come across various stretches of then treacherous road, most of which I can only hope have been repaired since our visit. The one I'd have to mention that is more recent to our travels is the South Carolina stretch of I95. I'm guessing the Bagdad expressway is in better shape.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The freeways in and around New York City rank right up there with the worst. Narrow, pot holes, sharp curbs and lots of knuckleheads on the road.
Another horrible road is Hwy 410 across the Cascades in WashingtonState. It goes over Chinook Pass and once you get into the National Park it becomes a disaster. Biggest problem is the heaves and dips which you really don't see very well until you're on them.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #14

I can see that few responders have driven the Alcan or some of the roads in Alaska! The section of the Alcan between Destruction Bay and Beaver creek is not one that you want to travel often or fast. The other road is in Alaska between Tok and Glenn Allen. Hopefully the DOT in Alaska will be addressing this section, but do not count on it.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote