Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #1

Would Autopark keep you from buying a rv?

Looking at rv's in the 90's range on workhorse chassis. ( thats what seems to fit in my price range and I don't want a ford) I have been reading up on the Autopark mess. How often do these really fail and would it keep you from buying a rv? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a coach with autopark. Kept up with the maintaince and carried a couple easy to change and common to fail pressure switches. It would not keep me from buying such a coach.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Wrench View Post
Looking at rv's in the 90's range on workhorse chassis. ( thats what seems to fit in my price range and I don't want a ford) I have been reading up on the Autopark mess. How often do these really fail and would it keep you from buying a rv? Thanks
On the other hand, back up a couple of years and you won't have that problem child. I have a 1988 - no Autopark. I think it went into production 1989 or 1990.

Also, somewhere out there in Internetland a guy came up with a retrofit to eliminate autopark. There is a lot of info out there, you just have to slog through it.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Auto Park equipped MH. I carry along an extra switch commonly know as the "rotten green switch" and just as importantly the wrenches necessary to change the switch.
An advertiser on here (Ultra RV) has switches available which are said to prevent further failures.
There is a lot of information available on this forum explaining the operation, maintenance and repair of the Auto park. I'd suggest you get as knowledgeable as possible so you can feel comfortable with the system.
Lynn
Old 08-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #5

Not only would Autopark put me off, so would the "bandy legged" suspension layout on the older Chevy chassis, where the front track width matches the inner duallies, not the outer ones.

Not sure what year that was changed.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

Not only would Autopark put me off, so would the "bandy legged" suspension layout on the older Chevy chassis, where the front track width matches the inner duallies, not the outer ones.

Not sure what year that was changed.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #7

Ok I didn't know how unpredictable the system is?
Old 08-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #8

Hi Rusty Wrench,

Workhorse didn't buy the GM motorhome chassis business until the end of the 90's. The shorter wheelbase chassis didn't have autopark since the weight was low enough for the "park" pawl in the transmission to pass the federal incline "hold" test. The longer, heavier, chassis would not pass the test so the pawl was removed and the autopark system was used.

That said, if you are the slightest bit mechanically inclined, and take the time to understand the autopark system, there should be no problem. If you just like to drive until something goes wrong, then are a "checkbook mechanic" and take it to a dealer for every single problem or hiccup, maybe a motorhome with autopark isn't the best choice. However, with a name like "Rusty wrench", It seems like you are in the first category... There's nothing wrong with being a checkbook mechanic, but it can be expensive being oblivious to everything but just driving.

Quote:
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Hi Rusty Wrench,

Workhorse didn't buy the GM motorhome chassis business until the end of the 90's. The shorter wheelbase chassis didn't have autopark since the weight was low enough for the "park" pawl in the transmission to pass the federal incline "hold" test. The longer, heavier, chassis would not pass the test so the pawl was removed and the autopark system was used.

That said, if you are the slightest bit mechanically inclined, and take the time to understand the autopark system, there should be no problem. If you just like to drive until something goes wrong, then are a "checkbook mechanic" and take it to a dealer for every single problem or hiccup, maybe a motorhome with autopark isn't the best choice. However, with a name like "Rusty wrench", It seems like you are in the first category... There's nothing wrong with being a checkbook mechanic, but it can be expensive being oblivious to everything but just driving.
This article seems to dispute some of what you have stated. oldusedbear is recognized as one of the leading experts on auto-park.

Troubleshooting AutoPark parking brake RGS (Rotten Green Switch) and pump motor | rvAutoPark.com | Chevy P32 Workhorse Chassis, J71 Version I, II, & III Auto Park Brake System troubleshooting, repair & Motor Home support web site
Old 08-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #10

Ooops. I know all about OldUsedbear, and should have mentioned him and provided the link to his website. What I meant to say, is that a person who is mechanically inclined, is willing to learn about systems, and can do some basic work, should not be discouraged from buying a motorhome with autopark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajell View Post
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Check this thread out.

Okay ... I SOLVED THE AUTO PARK BRAKE PROBLEM!

Lynn