Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #1

Would Timbrens help me out?

I'm at 90% of GVWR with truck camper, water, gray tank, gear, people in my F350. Heard about Timbrens and wondered if I need them? Or are they for guys nearing 100% of of their GVWR?
slackercrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #2

NO. Unless you are having some adverse towing experiences I would not recommend any sort of helper springs. If you did want to add some sort of supplement go with air bags. You can at least tailor them to the load. With Timbrens you are stuck with one loading rating. And if you are not down on the Timbrens when towing the hammering as the suspension works will drive you crazy in a hurry.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with ride as is. Just had some porpoising issues on some freeways.

Was just wondering if I needed to fine tune anything. Stock truck suspension is nice and level fully loaded.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #4

Your issue sounds like shocks to me; I had a similar issue with our Dodge recently. Since it was at 130K on the mileage, I replaced all of the shocks with Monroe HD Gas Filled shocks; the rear shocks were the "coil over" type rated at 1200# for the pair. This smoothed out my ride considerably, and actually rides better with new shocks.

The truck does not bounce around or stiffen the suspension as some people would suggest. The coil springs simply control the rebound better, and add a slightly higher load capability. The shocks are preset at the factory for 60/40 rebound (ride) and that will not change, just the amount of control over the movement changes. Before with our truck and trailer loaded at our "best" hitch position, the front end of the truck would sit with slightly over two inches of front end rise. Now, front end rise measures only one inch.

A suspension accessory like Timbrens, while performing as it is designed, does not have the "variable load absorbing" control that coil springs allow, or even air bags. And of all three, shocks are the most cost effective on the wallet; while at the same time giving you the results you are looking for.

I agree with a previous poster.....unloaded, the Timbrens are a "beater" on your ride quality.
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #5

No, would not be shocks in my case. Brand new 2011 truck.

Porpoising was only an issue on a few freeways at certain high speeds.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #6

That is caused by the road. So far I have not found a cure for that. I believe the problem is the spacing between the truck and trailer axles. On some roads they are not in harmony and cause a lot of bouncing. Slow down and the problem usually goes away or at least is far better.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
NO. Unless you are having some adverse towing experiences I would not recommend any sort of helper springs. If you did want to add some sort of supplement go with air bags. You can at least tailor them to the load. With Timbrens you are stuck with one loading rating. And if you are not down on the Timbrens when towing the hammering as the suspension works will drive you crazy in a hurry.
I put timbrens on a dodge halfton and it was the worst waste of money ever. When I unhooked from the trailer it rode like a manure spreader. Like said above go airbags it may cost more but you will have better results.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Kmo

Timbrens

I put a set on my truck and love them, had air bags before and cause I have bigger mud tires on my truck had issues with the airbags leaking, till one rubbed the tire and destroyed it, did find that with the timbrenss not properly adjusted they can cause a rough ride, just make sure they are 1/2 " away from the stops when not loaded and you should be good. JMTC's hope it helps.
Kmo is offline   Reply With Quote