Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I would not.. A Smart is not like any other car.. The front quarter IS part of the structure... I would pass..

Tell just 'where' it can be hit in the 'front quarter panel' and not be hosed??

Besides, Smarts arent that 'smart'. There are better cars that get better mileage..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
An accident is not an automatic disqualifier---Mekanic describes the reasons well---but I still wonder about the value of a Smart car (or any car) and if making an offer on one that has not had an accident would make sense---to see what the market would bear.

Or for that matter if you have not offer less for the one you are looking at---could it hurt anything? You can always pay what ever you want and feel is good for you.

I don't imagine this accident model is going to jump off the shelf so you may have a few days to test the market---if you have done that to your satisfaction then an inspection by a qualified body repair person, a well thought out test drive and an invoice from the repair would suffice as; as good as it gets---if it passes then---it could very well be a good deal for you. Would I? Probably not---but maybe you would---isn't that the crux of the question?

As a practical mater this thread will probably split 50/50 pro and con.

Cars, (anything) is worth what someone is willing to pay. Negotiate.

Good luck on what ever you decide.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I would not.. A Smart is not like any other car.. The front quarter IS part of the structure... I would pass..

Tell just 'where' it can be hit in the 'front quarter panel' and not be hosed??
Agree. Although I'm sure the dealership disassembled the CV joints and trans axle/transmission to check for any bearing, bearing race, or bearing boss cracks caused by the impact loads transmitted from that 2 ton sledge hammer that hit it. Just say'n... Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Agree. Although I'm sure the dealership disassembled the CV joints and trans axle/transmission to check for any bearing, bearing race, or bearing boss cracks caused by the impact loads transmitted from that 2 ton sledge hammer that hit it.
The Smart car is rear engine/rear wheel drive.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Rusty
Beat me to it!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #20

I have a 2008 Smart and I only paid $12,800 NEW. You should be able to pick up a good no hit for $9500. Hell, I'll sell you mine and it's only got 6,000 on it and never been in the rain. Not really, I'll get a nasty from the Mods again.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #21

Also, you need to check if it was just damaged panels, no structure. They are like a 4 wheeler. all the colored panels are plastic.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Rusty
Excuse me while I wipe the egg off. That puts a whole different light on the subject. I was told by a guy that said he 'used' to own one that they were FWD...geez. Sorry.

At any rate, the point I was trying to make was that sometimes there is often 'hidden damage' that even the pros are not aware of. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #23

Take the VIN to any Mercedes dealer. If it was indeed repaired by an MB dealer they can tell you what repairs have been done and what parts installed. It's all in the computer every time an MB dealer works on a car. At least with the real MB's, they are tracked that way.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #24

NO..accident or not...Not for me...I'd feel safer on a motorcycle
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Buy a Smart car, and you must as well put your Man Card in a blender, hit the "puree" button and then sprinkle the remaining cut up pieces over the campfire.

But seriously, it all depends on the accident. If it was minor, I'd consider it. However, if it was involved in a major hit, I'd pass. That car is WAY too small, and I'm sure there'd be some structural issues that someone would've missed, imo.

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Its a matter of physics,,
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks everyone for your help. I passed on the 2009 Smart and have purchased a new 2012 Smart Pure from a dealer in Plano, TX. My brother lives near there and he will help me get the tow equipment installed.

The 2012 models have a 4 year warranty and I'm only paying about $1,100 more than most of the used Smarts offered by dealers. For those of you who expressed concerns about safety -- check them out. They are much safer than you would think.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From reading all of the above, I think 6 chose spray and 6 chose stick. Decision made moot with the purchase of a new one. Enjoy and let us know how it serves and how you like it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote