Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #57

Texas Boomers Club
What exactly does this have to do with purchasing or not purchasing a Smart car that's been involved in a collision??

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
What exactly does this have to do with purchasing or not purchasing a Smart car that's been involved in a collision??

Rusty
Did you see my post #54? The OP bought a 2012 Smart Car about two weeks ago and I don't believe she made a comment since her original post.

And to answer your question- nothing!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofa
I owned a Smart before I got my current Fiat 500, while not a storm chaser, the power is ok, it will travel at 120km all day and not be at the floor. On the accident issue I too would go to the dealer and ask what they repaired it also depends on what kind of hit on the side or directly on the front. Drive the car on the highway at speed and see how it tracks. They are a good little car. OH BTW, shift the car manually and you will enjoy the transmission better, in auto mode....not so much.
Three years and 43000 miles I haven't been so lucky with any car. Also hit a deer last fall, and crashed front panel, both lights both running lights and grill all replaced with same color yellow panels and the dealer did a great job. Still looking for another deer to miss me next time
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy
I was driving down the Interstate by Madison WI. one day and I was going 65 and a Smart car passed me like I was parked. I didn't think they went that fast, it was bright yellow and looked like a jelly bean with wheels. My friend said if that thing starts to roll it will look like a bowling ball. That's all I know about Smart cars but they don't impress me as being safe at that speed. Maybe I just don't have a big enough pair to drive one.
My wife drive a maxima, and I drive my smart. Some times we switch it up. But I will tell you we have a 20 miles high speed run 65-75 sometimes 80. Each morning and we drive together until our Highways to work split off and we part ways. That Nissan is on nice ride but the smart holds the road great and I can drink my coffee at 75. I will say that if your highway is a smooth repaired road the ride is great. But watch out for those SPEED BUMPS on poor interstate roads. That little 1800 lb car does not like that.
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just talked to someone yesterday that had a car repaired. This was after an accident that did not seem too bad; however, there was hidden frame damage. A dealer took it in for trade and did not know about the frame damage until they had it up on a rack and under close inspection found it. Now they are saying the car will be totaled. All of this was just what many thought was minor damage. Minor damage that total'd the vehicle.

You should pass on this...
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To see the comparative safety between a smart car and a typical SUV, both having a large tree land on the roof, you can decide which car might be safer:

smart car catches a tree:

SUV catches a tree:

The smart car is the ONLY car available today that can support 5 times its weight on the roof, with little to no deformation - according to tests done by the IIHS...
Old 11-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #63

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn
To see the comparative safety between a smart car and a typical SUV, both having a large tree land on the roof, you can decide which car might be safer:

SUV catches a tree:

The smart car is the ONLY car available today that can support 5 times its weight on the roof, with little to no deformation - according to tests done by the IIHS...
No offense but what is the likelihood of the accident you get into going to come from above? Maybe at an airport or pilot school, I'll stick with my CRV
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The SMART is right next to the tree - no momentum...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #65

The SUV looks like a Mitsubishi - The worst quality of any Japanese manufacturer.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulations on your purchase. Hope you get many trouble free years of use.
I have an '06 diesel and love it. I'm 5' 11" and have to move the seat forward to reach the wheel and pedals. As far as being safe, most of us are driving a big plastic box down the highway. Be careful what you run into with that thing. Just because it's heavy, doesn't make it safe.
To those who haven't tried one out do yourself a favour. You might be surprised.
And to get back on topic. I wouldn't be afraid of one that's been hit and repaired right as long as it wasn't bad enough to be branded.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #67

not this one
Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
not this one
that's not a smart car - some of the hints:

* the rear wheel has 5 lugs - a smart has 3 lugs
* a smart does not have any sheet metal to be crushed like the photo - it's got plastic panels that would shatter
* there's a lot more body material than you'd find in a smart

Most people who've analysed this photo agree it's probably a Ford Escape...
Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn

SUV catches a tree:

I was at a smart car dealership and they had this cut away display car. I was very impressed with the protection around the passenger compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3538197229.png
Views:	114
Size:	833.4 KB
ID:	15395  
scot.bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
But then, THIS happens...

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote