Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-25-2011, 03:41 AM   #1
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Would you buy a Smart Car that had been in an accident

I need some opinions on this, please. I found a 2009 Smart Passion for sale by an individual that has 14K miles, is clean inside and out and drives well. It was in an accident -- hit at the passenger side front wheel. All the damage was repaired by a Mercedes dealership. The asking price is $9500 and a similar 2008 is listed locally for $12,995. I plan to tow it so I won't be putting many miles on it. I plan to have it checked by professionals, but would like some advise from folks who understand toads.

Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:00 AM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Because it is so small the structural integrity of the central cabin is important for crashworthyness, if it is just the front quarter panel I would not be concerned.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
i once read that no car that has had any major damage should be toad
check the frame alignment very close,good luck and safe travals
just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the other listed Smart Car for 12,995. has not been in an accident then have you tried offering them 9,500 for it to see what they say? Is the market so firm you cannot deal?
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
Alignment, water leaks and electrical issues could be an issue. . .
tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
hit at the passenger side front wheel. All the damage was repaired by a Mercedes dealership.
Either get a copy of the repair estimate from the current owner or ask the body shop what they did. It could have been a $500 hit or a $5000 hit. If it was minor thats one thing....but.
Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Because of its extremely small size, to achieve adequate passenger safety I would suspect that the Smart car utilizes more sacrificial "crush zones" than a normal car to dissipate collision forces. If the crush zone(s) on that corner has/have been compromised, I wouldn't want any part of the vehicle, even if they've pulled the unibody back to spec on a frame machine.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
3500 bux off for a car that has been wrecked? pass.
1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Saw a Smart driving on interstate 95 through Philly yesterday, it was being passed by a semi, I think I'd would rather take my chances on a motorcycle. Really, it looked like the semi could drive over it and just think it was a speed bump.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
I owned a Smart before I got my current Fiat 500, while not a storm chaser, the power is ok, it will travel at 120km all day and not be at the floor. On the accident issue I too would go to the dealer and ask what they repaired it also depends on what kind of hit on the side or directly on the front. Drive the car on the highway at speed and see how it tracks. They are a good little car. OH BTW, shift the car manually and you will enjoy the transmission better, in auto mode....not so much.
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC "Irish Jig"
2014 Chev Cruze (Towed)
mofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
As long as it was repaired professionally and you have it checked over before you buy it I think you'll be just fine. I've bought salvaged cars before that were brought back from the dead and once repaired competently they were dependable transportation. No guarantees of course, but that's why the difference in price.
Bob Adams
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400hp Allison Xantrex RS2000 Onan Aqua Hot CRV
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
Ford Super Duty Owner
price of the repair is not a good indiacation of severity of the accidentor crash.
My charger that i traded off last week had a $4000. esitmate for a "accidnet"
what got replaced was the urathane bumper cover and then the hood and roof got repainted.
A power line was hanging from a pole and got caught on my car and dragged across the nose hood and roof. It was NOTHING that i would consider a accident.
in the 80 a I worked for a friend and we rebuilt totaled cars. Yes we even cut them in half and put halfs back together.

on the smart:
pay close attention to how it drives. if it pulls to one side and even if it doesn't check the front tire pressure.
It might have a "used car alginment" (50 psi on one tire and 18psi in the other) it can mask a bad alginment.
Take a tape measure and measure the wheelbase on both sides. (they should be within 1/4 inch)
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
American Coach Owners Club
Who can tell you what that hit did to the internals of the trans-axle, cv joints and if the unibody was slightly bent that may give you some serious problems down the road. What, if any, problems or effects would a misaligned or bent structural parts have in a future accident...will the crush zones respond as designed??? Whose questions would always be in the back of my mind. Worth the 3500 bucks? Personally, I'd never touch a vehicle I KNEW was in an accident to start off with. Bob
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Ford Super Duty Owner
All vehicles are made from many, many parts. If one replaces all the damged and bent parts, that vehicle is as good as a new one just like it. It could even be better if the person takes more attention to detail than the assy line worker who has 50-80 seconds to install his part.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote