Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
This one has 3 units and they may be those low profile ones mentioned in another post. They look longer but shorter than ours.

We thought about moving but nothing was open that we wanted to move to.
I've read on this that the Coleman Mach 8 low profile units originally had a fan design that was extremely loud, later they changed the fan design to quiet them down due to complaints like yours.

Here is one thread on the subject: RVP/Airxcel/Coleman MACH 8 A/C Quiet Outside Fan Kit

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Mine operate all the time in "Fan auto mode"........only come on when AC is needed. Maybe a suggestion to them as there is really no need for the fans to run 24/7 that I have ever found.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Mine operate all the time in "Fan auto mode"........only come on when AC is needed. Maybe a suggestion to them as there is really no need for the fans to run 24/7 that I have ever found.
If they are the low profile Colemans which are very loud, they actually have two motors, one for moving the air inside and the other for moving air over the outside coils. It's the outside fan that's loud and I don't believe it runs unless the compressor is on, fan on mode would only run the inside fan which you wouldn't hear outside.

Non low profile units like mine just have one motor driving both fans so it can't just run one and would do what you suggest.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! I didn't realize any RV A/C's were loud enough to disturb the neighbors!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
No, I would not say a thing other than good morning, I would just deal with it and be happy that I was able to live the RV lifestyle.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I am just nosy enough and forward enough to go over start a conversation. How's it going? Nice unit? Is that three air conditioners?

I ask questions because I want to know the answers. What is that noise? Is it the air conditioner or the heat pump? Wonder why it does not shut off (as that must be wearing on the fans to run all of the time)? How do you set it so it runs constantly?

Anything to indicate I noticed something and am wondering if it is normal. It may be normal for them but is it normal operation of the unit.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I am just nosy enough and forward enough to go over start a conversation. How's it going? Nice unit? Is that three air conditioners?

I ask questions because I want to know the answers. What is that noise? Is it the air conditioner or the heat pump? Wonder why it does not shut off (as that must be wearing on the fans to run all of the time)? How do you set it so it runs constantly?

Anything to indicate I noticed something and am wondering if it is normal. It may be normal for them but is it normal operation of the unit.
If someday I pull in next to you Gordon, I am going to turn my fans on high...........and hope you come over to ask questions! Before I start the fans, the outside table will have 2 glasses, and a good selection of wine on the table...........the cork will come out of the bottle of your choice

Old 04-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Nice approach subtle, in the link I posted about the noisy Colemans the police got involved due to threats from a fellow camper
Old 04-30-2016, 04:54 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I can honestly say I'm glad I never heard ac units that loud. We always run ours on "auto" mode so it's on and off. I've never thought it to be really loud when we sit outside. Seems like something must be amiss with that unit!
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
If someday I pull in next to you Gordon, I am going to turn my fans on high...........and hope you come over to ask questions! Before I start the fans, the outside table will have 2 glasses, and a good selection of wine on the table...........the cork will come out of the bottle of your choice

And I will leave our windows open so I hear it very well. LOL.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ha, the first thing I thought of, when I read the first post was ...... Tiffin

A couple of months ago, I spent a night in a overflow lot at a park in Parker. I was back to back with a newer Allegro Bus. The morning was chilly, and we both had a heat pump running. Standing outside, I couldn't hear mine running from about 15' away, over the sound of his heat pump fan, about 50 odd feet away.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
We were parked next to such a rig in Montana last year. They ran it all night and all day, even though I personally thought the weather didn't require more than an open window at night. It was hard to sleep and impossible to enjoy the surroundings while they were there.

After the first night on the following morning I went to talk the the folks. They were the nicest people, who were traveling with a terminally ill adult daughter who needed the a/c for her comfort. Obviously there was little to say other than "I understand" and continue to suffer the noise for two more nights till they left.

I'm glad to know that the new designs have been corrected. I hope they have a retro kit to correct the old ones.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:48 PM   #27

For those who run into this again you might tell them there is a retrofit kit available from RVP that will also quiet their units down. It's about $30 per unit for the kit which includes a new fan blade, bracket and misc hardware
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #28

There is and I had one. The Coleman Mach 8 was aptly named because it sounded like a space shuttle re entering the earth's atmosphere. I didn't want to sit outside with the AC running. Felt really sorry for my neighbors, embarrassed really. But what do you do? Even if it were only in the 70s here in Florida my coach was so stuffy we couldn't stand it.

I know there is supposedly an upgrade kit for those ACs to not only quiet them, but to fix the blade cracking problem (who knows, maybe the OPs neighbors had cracked blades that were about to fail?). My upgrade was to get rid of my coach and get another one. (Not so much for the noisy AC, but for a bigger coach).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
WOW! I didn't realize any RV A/C's were loud enough to disturb the neighbors!