Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #1

Would you say anything?

We're at our favorite campground and have been since Wednesday. When we backed into our site and shut down, the roar of the AC units on the very nice high end coach next to us was loud. Really loud. They have not shut off. They run 24/7 and the noise is eating into our brains.

The couple seems nice. We've talked to the guy a bit and he even came over to our site and we yelled back and forth over the roar. The coach is a new to them coach and they're with the people on the other side of them so go over there to sit outside and hang out. They aren't even in their site to listen to it and it's probably louder on our side anyway.

I thought maybe the wife had allergies but she's outside at the other site most of the time too. It's not been that hot and I know people have different tolerances for heat and humidity but it was still roaring at 6:30 AM in 55° temps.

This thing can be heard all over the campground. It's constant. Never S.T.O.P.S. We're the closest to it so I'm sure it bothers us the most. I can hear it even with the door and windows closed. At first, I thought something was wrong with our fridge then realized it was the A/C from the other coach. It's not been enjoyable to sit outside at all at anytime so we've spent a good amount of time inside when we'd normally be outside.

Do they not hear it? Maybe they think it's normal? Why wouldn't they notice the big roar coming from their coach and from no where else?

I wanted to ask the guy if his A/C was always that loud but Gary didn't want me to. Thank goodness they're leaving today. Of course, it's supposed to rain a good part of today and we're leaving tomorrow!

I realize this is mostly a rant but on the other hand, I am curious if anyone of you would say anything to the guy?
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #2

I would go to the office and ask them for a solution. You just can't continue to be miserable.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you actually think there is something wrong with there unit that is making it louder than normal and might not be noticed by the new owners you might bring it up.

If it is bothersome because you chose to not use your unit due to the weather or need and wished they wasn't using theirs then I would say nothing except maybe alert the park manager for his opinion on the noise.

We work as host in a state park and have seen people react in all manors over the least little comment. Unfortunately many of us go to full hook up parks hoping to get that wilderness experience. The reality is crowds in campers of all shapes and sizes bunched together. When we travel we accept the fact things don't always go our way, that's life, and if it's too bad, our coach has wheels so we move on.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with Huntnski about going to the park office and asking. If they were not leaving today, I might have brought it up with them.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:34 AM   #5

If you have been talking to them I would have asked in a nice way if they are having any problems with the A/C units. If no problem I would have moved to another location and enjoyed the rest of my time at the location. If place was full there are always other places. No way I would let the stress eat at me. Life is to short.
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
..............many of us go to full hook up parks hoping to get that wilderness experience. The reality is crowds in campers of all shapes and sizes bunched together. When we travel we accept the fact things don't always go our way, that's life, and if it's too bad, our coach has wheels so we move on.
..........I had to giggle when I read this very well put statement!

We are fairly new to the RVing world and was a little stunned when looking at some camp grounds.

I have more "wilderness" in my back yard and growing up in Brooklyn, NY I had more privacy than some camp grounds.

With this said.........I still love going "camping" at these camp grounds. We go to a lot of Indiana State Parks and believe it or not, they are not that "tight" as I have seen in some private CGs. Our friends join us and we meet some really fantastic people.

I am not ready to boon dock yet in the wilderness/back country. In my 30 years in the Army I did enough "boon docking" sort to speak............dug enough "cat-holes", drank out of too many "lister-bags", ate enough "previously-prepared-food" (C Rats/MREs), and took one to many "baths & shaves" out of a helmet.

Back to the original question.....I would talk to the CG manager. Since the coach is new to the people - perhaps they do not know any better and think it is normal.........??

Good luck........

g
Old 04-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #7

Our last coach had the low profile Mach 8 ACs on it and it sounded like a roaring jet engine. On our first outing during the winter I had the heat pump on and the guy in the 5th wheel next to me came over and asked why I had the AC on. I didn't realize at the time how loud it was (he didn't actually say it was loud, just he was wondering why we'd be using AC at that time of the year). Turned out he was a great guy and was there with a bunch of other people and we ended up spending the weekend sharing food and drinks with them.

That was the only time I ever heard anything close to a complaint. Other than from my myself. We'd be at the beach and the AC in the summer and that thing would be roaring way louder than anyone else's near us. We didn't get rid of the coach for that reason, but I sure don't miss those noisy ACs.

Keep in mind some people (like us) like it cool in the coach. Even in the moderate weather it can be hard to get enough air circulating inside to keep a coach cool. I'd try to casually mention to those folks something about the noise, but I'm not sure they can do much about it. You may be resigned to asking to move your site.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #8

Quote:
If you actually think there is something wrong with there unit that is making it louder than normal and might not be noticed by the new owners you might bring it up.
We just don't know! It is way louder than any unit we've been around before but may be normal for this model.

Quote:
If it is bothersome because you chose to not use your unit due to the weather or need and wished they wasn't using theirs then I would say nothing except maybe alert the park manager for his opinion on the noise.
We are probably the odd ones most of the time because we don't use our A/C as much as most seem to do. We've been next to other RVs that run theirs constantly though but none have been as loud as this one.

Quote:
We work as host in a state park and have seen people react in all manors over the least little comment. Unfortunately many of us go to full hook up parks hoping to get that wilderness experience. The reality is crowds in campers of all shapes and sizes bunched together. When we travel we accept the fact things don't always go our way, that's life, and if it's too bad, our coach has wheels so we move on.
One definitely needs to have a high tolerance threshold when camping! This is a very nice COE campground with large well spaced sites and is heavily used. We've got this high end Class A on one side and a tent on the other here. (nothing wrong with either...just opposite ends of the spectrum)

We both thought the A/C would shut down that first day we listened to it. The 2nd day I decided there must be a health reason that it was running. The 3rd day, it seemed a little late to say anything and the guy is obviously proud of the coach (as he should be) and today they are supposed to leave.

Had we known it would continue to run and be as loud as it is, we may have brought it up on the 1st day but what could they have done about it other than shut it down but maybe there was a reason it needed to run: The fridge doesn't work and they are storing meat!

The volunteer hosts that are usually here could not make it this year. The man suffered a heart attack and unfortunately passed away recently so the CG is still looking for someone to fill that position. The park attendant does a great job but has enough to deal with trying to cover everything. We just didn't want to bother him with something like this. That's what happens when you get to know the hosts & attendants!

As I'm finishing this post, they shut the air off and are pulling in the slides and and and they cranked up that big diesel! WAAHOO! It's cool, cloudy and raining but I'm getting my blankie and dragging my chair under the awning and going to enjoy the quiet.

We'll just check the "could have been better" column for this trip.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #9
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I am curious what make of coach is it? I have been in some campgrounds and found that the larger coaches with 3 a/c units made by Winnebago Industries are EXTREMELY loud. I would have to move to a site far away from the coach if it was on all day and night if they would not shut it down now and then.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
I am curious what make of coach is it? I have been in some campgrounds and found that the larger coaches with 3 a/c units made by Winnebago Industries are EXTREMELY loud. I would have to move to a site far away from the coach if it was on all day and night if they would not shut it down now and then.
This one has 3 units and they may be those low profile ones mentioned in another post. They look longer but shorter than ours.

We thought about moving but nothing was open that we wanted to move to.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is all part of the adventure of rv'ing. I used to get upset but then realized that is why they put wheels on these things.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
....Unfortunately many of us go to full hook up parks hoping to get that wilderness experience. The reality is crowds in campers of all shapes and sizes bunched together. When we travel we accept the fact things don't always go our way, that's life, and if it's too bad, our coach has wheels so we move on.
Great perspective on these sorts of issues!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
dms

I'll bet it's a Tiffin. We had a 2014 Phaeton and had the same problem. Couldn't hear yourself think and got lots of complaints. Units ran continuously because of sparse insulation.

Now have a 2016 Newmar and you literally cannot hear the units. Problem solved.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
I'll bet it's a Tiffin. We had a 2014 Phaeton and had the same problem. Couldn't hear yourself think and got lots of complaints. Units ran continuously because of sparse insulation.

Now have a 2016 Newmar and you literally cannot hear the units. Problem solved.

Too funny! It is.

It could not have been as loud inside as out or they could not have stayed in it.