Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Wow! Family with 12 kids roams US full-time in RV

Definately would always have something going on.

American Story: Family with 12 kids roams US full-time in RV - TODAY News
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
and the real reason is ??????
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie
and the real reason is ??????
Apparently because they can.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
They must like their 12 kids a lot better than I liked my two.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I sure would not want to be camped next to that crew. Think what extra charges they run into at KOA.....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just trying to get their own reality show...
More worthless programming!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Aside from all the other logistical considerations, how in the world would a person (or couple) home-school 12 kids of (assumed) widely varying ages simultaneously?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
The DW and I had this discussion last night... wouldn't want to be camped next to them; if they dry camp, must have to drive to the dumping station at least once daily; what kind of education will all these kids really receive; and must really be looking for a reality show and a fast buck. JMHO
Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
They have turned down shows. The dad has a computer job he can do from anywhere and the oldest daughter has her own design company.

Sheessh read before making assumptions
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Judge not lest ye be judged?

There are still some free spirited people in the world willing to tackle it at full throttle. While I can't imagine the tight quarters being my cup of tea, I have a grudging admiration for this family.

Can anyone doubt the value of family bonding this brings to the table? How often have we seen "nuclear families" with the core intact? How many folks complain about public schools and here is a family that has figured out how to educate their children both in books and the world outside of 4 school walls.

How many of us are still hung up with a sticks-n-brick mentality even though we move about the country professing freedom from that which would anchor us to a plot of land? I'm just not understanding some of the critical comments.

Would I want them camped near me? HECK YES! Sure, I wouldn't want that year round but I think this is a family I would love to see in action. It would be entertaining and maybe even inspiring. I thought part of the mobile life was to get out and meet people. I'm not hacking on those that want to find total solitude. While I find times I want that for short periods of time I find that I want to meet people that same as me and different from me also. Sometimes it will work out and others times not.

Not everyone has a desire to be the next Kardasian, Honey BO BO, or what ever reality based life. I dare say that if there was the best making for the best reality program never contracted for production, this could be a candidate.

Nope...I'm jealous in so many ways. The shear courage to do something that will be criticized by many who have only experienced the programmed life most of us learned through "Father Knows Best", "The Brady Bunch" and other TV programs of similar ilk. I am jealous that it took me 58 years to look outside of "the box" and only now beginning to see a life that defies my expectations.

Don't get me wrong. I have my concerns for them as much as I have concerns about any large family unit. Still, they must be doing something right because 14 people can not be a successful family unit unless they have all learned some valuable lessons on working together for the common good.

How can that be so bad? Our own history is marked by stories of families trekking across this country with less support and much less knowledge of what lies out there. I for one wish them fair winds and following seas.

Finally to them and all of you -

May you always have walls for the winds,
a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire,
laughter to cheer you, those you love near you,
and all your heart might desire.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

Well stated!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don - I'll drink to that! Cheers.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #13

And I thought we were crowded with the 2 of us.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like they're definitely getting alot of publicity after their Today Show episode. They made the front page of Yahoo news too.

I find their story fascinating, but also find it interesting that they never talk about the sleeping arrangements in their RV (at least I couldn't find any mention of it). With 12 kids I'm thinking many of them sleep on the floor? I'd love to see how they do it. Still I admire their tenacity and their courage to follow their dreams.

This makes me think of The Paskowitz Family back in the late 60's. They travelled with 9 children in a 24-foot camper. This was one of the 1st big family RV documentaries that I saw. Fascinating story and interesting to see how the kids turned out later in life (it was very mixed). You can see their story in a youtube video here:

Nina