Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #15
Many people have different experiences with various carriers. My personal experience with Progressive was extremely poor. They have good rates but hate to pay legitimate claims. Probably how they advertise low prices. A lot of money in and very little out. We had Liberty Mutual for over thirty years with coverage on home, boat, and vehicles. Made several claims on each and the service was exemplary. We switched to the Hartford with AARP and got a much better rate that Liberty Mutual was not willing to match. We saved a total of around $850.00 on the package with the Hartford Group. Fast forward two years to last summer. Liberty Mutual called and wanted us back for a customer. The Hartford had raised our rate because I was hit by another driver which they admitted was not my fault but still counted against me and for one claim that happened in my own yard when I misjudged the distance from my plow to my camper. Liberty Mutual acknowledge the accidents and still came in around another $600.00 less than the Hartford. After dealing with two other companies, unless something significant changes, I will be with Liberty Mutual for a long, long time.

Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Folks, always, always make your agent put you out to bid every year. You don't have to be loyal, because the companies will not be loyal to you.

stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #17
Agree with CampDaven. Have found it beneficial to check pricing at least every 3 years or so. Rates can change even by zip code.

Just keeping everyone honest. Recently went from GMAC, to Hartford (AARP). Was with them for about 10 days when they sent me a note that they don't insure rental homes.

They knew it was a rental when they quoted the policy and sent me copies. Fortunately current insurance at the time hadn't expired yet, soooo, made some calls, cancelled Hartford, and went with Nationwide.

Good coverage for all my needs (autos, homes, RV, and umbrella) and price was very good.
Remember, we are all good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #18
Farm and City Insurance Services
Forest City IA
I switched from GS MH insurance to Allied Insurance with that independent brokerage firm, for $300/ 6 mo. less. I got an email from Winnebago about MH coverage, and this firm.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Like others have stated do your due diligence. The savings will be worth your effort.
Every year I call three or four of the major companies that you can read about on this thread. Once I get their quotes I call my independent agent and give him the quotes I have researched. In each of the last 6 years he has been able to get me a lower rate. When doing your research have your coverage sheet available so you can ask for a quote on the same coverages and deductibles from each company.
PM me if you want contact info on my Independent Agent.
Robert & Leslie
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
Cummins 8.3 ISC 350HP
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #20
Just to add on my Geico auto rates jumped $160/month. No issues with our record. It was increased due to all of the high claims in Kansas City/Missouri area. I'd be keeping an eye on those too.

I have Progressive on my Camper, going to give them a chance on my autos too.
ctbruce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
We have gone from Progressive to Gieco now with Farm Brueau.
John Price
2016 Denali 289RK w/a Hensley Arrow Hitch
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummings
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:15 AM   #22
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, less than 30 seconds on the phone and I was speaking to a REAL LIVE PERSON! Try THAT with Progressive or GMAC!
I have always talked to a live person with Progressive.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:22 AM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Hartford AARP cut my Good Sam (GMAC) rate in half.

Makes two of us.
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #24
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Correction: AARP Hartford cut Progressive by almost half........and I had a large claim 18 months earlier.
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:25 AM   #25
Fleetwood Owners Club

Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Yep, same thing here, GMAC doubled our insurance, I switched to Hartford thru AARP, waiting to see if they jack our rates in two months at renewal time!
Good Sam has been National General Insurance for a year or so now. Not GMAC anymore.

I just got my National General renewal for April 4th due date. It is the same $$$ as Oct. 2015 and April 2015. But it is $3 more then Oct. 2014.

It covers both my MH & toad.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Appreciate all the responses...
but the kicker to the absurdity of their bait and switch rate jump and the bullcorn reasoning they gave me (we rerated due to... blah, blah) is that I had all my vehicles on the policy and the only one that went up was the rv

going to find out how much of a refund I get when I switch.
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #27
Hartford through AARP. All of my auto insurance there. In '09, my TT caught fire sitting at home and burned to a crisp. Hartford handled everything, paid my claim quickly, and even got me half of my deductible back from the company that made the frig that caused the fire. I had just put four new tires on it and they reimbursed me for the tires too.
In 2015, they paid claims for hail damage on three of my vehicles including one totaled. I pay less than $1800.00 a year for full coverage ($500.00 deductible) on three vehicles and liability on a fourth. Includes the tow and road service on my motor home. Is that a good rate? I don't know. Haven't done any comparisons in years. I just know that they take care of me without any problems and I always get a live English speaking person on the phone.
I am curious. What do the rest of you pay for your insurance? Mine breaks down:
$630.00 + 586.00 + 160.00 + 410.00.
The final destination is not my goal. My goal is the trip itself.
2005 Damon Challenger, towing an '01 Silverado 1500HD.
rider1046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #28
I think after reading of all of the suggested companies you can now assume that there is not one that will give you the best rate year after year.

Also, no one can tell you who has the best rate. It is solely dependent on your circumstances - how old you are, driving record, where you live, what you're driving, credit score, what kind of coverage you're seeking, will it be for full-timing - all your belongings need to be covered, etc. Everyone will be different.

Shop around at least every two years. That's the best you can do.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote