Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Wow! This is Nice........

Butler Pennsylvania was a chilly 26 degrees Friday morning when I left to go to work. Traffic accidents everywhere due to the fog rising off the rivers freezing on the bridges and making black ice. Ugh....November starting to get ugly.

Friday after I got home from work, the family piled in to the motorhome and we headed south. Made it to Columbia SC and stayed the night. Temperature wasn't much better, as it was still chilly. The next morning though....wow! Heading south, just after we crossed in to Florida, the generator got fired up and the air conditioning turned on.

Sitting at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground now enjoying the beautiful Florida weather.....

I could make a habit out of hanging out here

Got to go.....the kids and Epcot are calling
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:24 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-K View Post
Butler Pennsylvania was a chilly 26 degrees Friday morning when I left to go to work. Traffic accidents everywhere due to the fog rising off the rivers freezing on the bridges and making black ice. Ugh....November starting to get ugly.

Friday after I got home from work, the family piled in to the motorhome and we headed south. Made it to Columbia SC and stayed the night. Temperature wasn't much better, as it was still chilly. The next morning though....wow! Heading south, just after we crossed in to Florida, the generator got fired up and the air conditioning turned on.

Sitting at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground now enjoying the beautiful Florida weather.....

Spend lots of money while you're in Florida, tourism revenue is in the toilet...

You can go to St. Augustine, Disney/MGM, Universal Studios, Sea World, Marineland, Busch Gardens/Adventure Island, and a host of other smaller places and festivals.
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Florida is nice this time of year (Between November and February). I'm from Florida, and this is the nicest time of the year.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We decided to come down this time of year specifically because we had heard that the Disney theme parks wouldn't be real crowded and that has proven to be true. I'm not sure if it is the time of year, or that the Florida tourism is in the tank though as mentioned.

It could be the latter as on the loop in Fort Wilderness that we're on, about half the sites are empty. Oh, FWIW, the new enlarged sites at FW are much better than the ones I remembers from the last trip about 5 years ago.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #5

What loop are you on? I have reservations for February and am wondering which are the new enlarged sites.

Thanks...
Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Joe, enjoy your time down there. Hoepfully the storm will not dump too much rain on your vacation. Enjoy the warmth while you can!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #7

Joe enjoy the warmth as long as you can. Hope to be in Florida in a few days. Here in Warner Robins,Georgia right now not enjoying all the rain.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:

Been there, done that - a couple of times, and tried to get it done again this year since we just bought the "oldie-but-goodie" '88 Winnebago.... BUT, the inability to do enough shorter trips to shake out all unseen potential issue - as well as fixing the ones that WERE apparent, kept us home.

We love Florida this time of year - all the neat tourist/snowbird attractions, including the HUGE "Turkey Run" hotrod and custom car show in Daytona on Thanksgiving Day, really are neat!

I envy you - maybe we will make it again NEXT year!

Have fun!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe, welcome back to Florida. Isn't it just terrible what us native Floridians have to put up with, all the time. Winterizing the coach to me is turning on the rear heater the couple of nights a year in might get below freezing for more than hour. And to think, I was born into this mess. Enjoy your stay!!!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc2guy View Post
What loop are you on? I have reservations for February and am wondering which are the new enlarged sites.

Thanks...
We are on site 1007 the 1000 loop. Plenty of room on the enlarged sites. As soon as I have more than a couple minutes of being at the rig, I'll post a picture of our site.

I could do without the need to Winterize. The Florida residents have it nice
I actually needed to plan my trip home around the weather and the need to make sure I stop at a campground on the way home to empty the tanks. I try to make sure when I get home after the last trip of the year to have the tanks flushed out and ready to Winterize. Hopefully it won't be freezing the day we get home, but I'll have to put in the pink stuff sooon.......Arghhhhhh.....the end to another camping season is coming soon.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #11

Us poor folks that live in Florida have to put up with the terrable winters; turn air on when it goes up to 75; turn the heat on when it gets down to 69. isn't it just awfull to have such bad weather.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #12

Well - for at least a small dash if reality, while we HAVE been there in the November- January time frames, I've ALSO been there in July!

You know - when the Florida natives get their Olympic runner training dashing from their air conditioned homes, to their air conditioned cars - and then from the air conditioned car to the air conditioned store or workplace...

AH, but THAT'S when that nice MH comes in handy, and the "Sweatbirds" can head North!

You guys sure have a neat state in what most of us call "Winter" tho', and I sure hope we get to enjoy it and all it's tourist attractions at least one more time!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #13

Floridians head for the mountians in June; July August and September; humidity so thick you could cut it with a knife;
I love it her; been all over, wouldn't live anywhere else.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As promised, a picture of one of Fort Wildernesses new sites. You can notice the width of the original pad as well as the added on concrete slab. Our rig is 44' long and we have about 10 feet behind the camper and at least 15 or so up front. I didn't bother bringing our toad with us, but there is certainly room to park a toad or golf cart at the sites.

Oh, by the way.....a high temperature of 62 degrees today and going down to around 55 tonight. What happened to that warm weather I was talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1611r.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1800