Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! True lifetime roof!

Welcome to RV Armor - Home
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
5er

I checked out the RV-Armor website with video. I also went to Excel's website. Excel has certainly been working hard at making leak proof roofs. They offered the fiberglass roof on their Limited edition fivers, and EDPM on the Winslow and toyhauler models. Then, the last two years, they also offered as an option using a special RV formulated truck bed liner. I believe it was the Rhino Eco-Coat roof coating. This option was so popular that Excel was getting behind schedule in cranking out rv's. Now they have partnered with RV-Armor, and I notice they don't offer the truck bed liner anymore (at least not in their 2015 brochure/catalog and not on their website that I can see). I wonder how patchable the RV-Armor is when it loses a battle with a low hanging tree limb? Looks like a great product! I wish the other RV manufacturers would offer this as an option.
5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er View Post
I checked out the RV-Armor website with video. I also went to Excel's website. Excel has certainly been working hard at making leak proof roofs. They offered the fiberglass roof on their Limited edition fivers, and EDPM on the Winslow and toyhauler models. Then, the last two years, they also offered as an option using a special RV formulated truck bed liner. I believe it was the Rhino Eco-Coat roof coating. This option was so popular that Excel was getting behind schedule in cranking out rv's. Now they have partnered with RV-Armor, and I notice they don't offer the truck bed liner anymore (at least not in their 2015 brochure/catalog and not on their website that I can see). I wonder how patchable the RV-Armor is when it loses a battle with a low hanging tree limb? Looks like a great product! I wish the other RV manufacturers would offer this as an option.
I didn't watch the video. Maybe the surface can't be torn by limbs!
Old 12-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #4

I got in contact with them since I'm leaning toward having my roof done in the spring. They quoted me a price of $120 per linear foot. I believe one of their great selling points is that they will come to wherever you are to do the work. They also said repairs are easily done by respraying the affected area. I'm also looking at LineX because you can get it in colors and the price is comparable. I've even thought of getting the front done if it can be color matched, which they say they can do. I beleive it would be a great way to protect the front of the coach. I'm assuming the LineX would be pretty tough since I've had it in pickup beds in the past. All I have to do now is decide which one.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #5

Looks just like another roof coating to me.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
$120 a foot sounds good.
I wonder how long this product holds up. I imagine it would very difficult to take off and replace. Also weight might be of concern? Sorry, just thinking, guess I'll go watch the video now which probably answers my questions.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
$120 a foot sounds good.
Quote:
I wonder how long this product holds up.
I imagine it would very difficult to take off and replace. Also weight might be of concern? Sorry, just thinking, guess I'll go watch the video now which probably answers my questions.

Remember, they said "lifetime warranty"
Old 12-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Duh Good point.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I got in contact with them since I'm leaning toward having my roof done in the spring. They quoted me a price of $120 per linear foot. I believe one of their great selling points is that they will come to wherever you are to do the work. They also said repairs are easily done by respraying the affected area. I'm also looking at LineX because you can get it in colors and the price is comparable. I've even thought of getting the front done if it can be color matched, which they say they can do. I beleive it would be a great way to protect the front of the coach. I'm assuming the LineX would be pretty tough since I've had it in pickup beds in the past. All I have to do now is decide which one.
I would never use LineX again. The guy who did mine promised a lifetime warranty against fade and peeling. Well both occurred, yet he went out of business.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptgregger View Post
I would never use LineX again. The guy who did mine promised a lifetime warranty against fade and peeling. Well both occurred, yet he went out of business.
I understand the product LineX uses for RV roofs is not the same as for a bedliner. I never had a problem with my pickups in the past. I was told it also comes with a lifetime warranty which is good at ANY LineX dealer. I'm not trying to sell LineX to anyone, it's just info I got in my research.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
$120 a foot sounds good.
I wonder how long this product holds up. I imagine it would very difficult to take off and replace. Also weight might be of concern? Sorry, just thinking, guess I'll go watch the video now which probably answers my questions.
Unfortunately, the video doesn't mention anything about weight.
5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Website is impressive. They talk a lot about the warranty but I could not find any information about the warranty specifically a copy of it.

I am always skeptical when folks talk about lifetime warranty. Generally comes with exclusions or costly maintenance (inspections) to maintain.

They say no exclusions, fully transferable so definitely deserves a closer look.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Most RV roof leaks come from seams and protrusions (plumbing vents, a/c, antennas, etc.). The joints "work" from road vibration and temperature extremes, which is why they are sealed with a flexible caulk (lap sealant) . I get that RV Armor covers the seams and such and "seal" them, but it seems to me they are still subject to mechanical stresses and will crack open in time. In fact, you can see on the website that they apply "flashing armor" around all openings and seams before putting on the top coat. Pretty much what you do with caulk yourself.

I think the true value of this may be that they [allegedly] do a superior job of installation, probably far better than the typical RV shop guy slathering on some top coat material, and in a hurry to get onto the next job. They charge enough and take enough time to do the job right, and roofing is all they do.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof