Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 07:16 AM   #15

Wrangler smelling and acting funny after towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
All normal, the smell is from road grime on the exhaust.

True!
18 years toading, 18 years post-tow stink. No worries
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
All normal, the smell is from road grime on the exhaust and it wont roll easy in 4low.
Agree haven't tried my 2016 Cherokee yet but my 06 liberty and 96 Cherokee acted as you described.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #17

Wrangler smelling and acting funny after towing.

Does your Wrangler have “Hill Hold”?
If it’s engaged it will apply brakes when you lift your foot from the gas pedal.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #18

Quote:
All normal, the smell is from road grime on the exhaust and it wont roll easy in 4low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Good point(s) and both are spot on!

Fish is this your first Wrangler, and have you used 4LO much at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
True!
18 years toading, 18 years post-tow stink. No worries
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
Agree haven't tried my 2016 Cherokee yet but my 06 liberty and 96 Cherokee acted as you described.
Nope, i don't think this is the case here. The OP stated that there is resistance in two wheel drive. I'm taking it that he put the 18,000 miles on the Jeep and that he's towed it before, so he probably has enough experience to know when something isn't quite right. I've towed my Jeep Cherokee and know that a burnt smell is not normal.

If the brakes aren't hot, then i'd say to check the driveline. Transfer case could have been put into service from the factory with too little atf in it. Who knows, it could be a piece of barb wire wrapped around one of the driveshafts.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I've towed my Jeep Cherokee and know that a burnt smell is not normal.
I never had a burn-off smell when I towed with my gasser, however I have had it with all three of the DP coaches I have owned since.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #20

I have similar smells after towing mine also. Usually smells like electrical stuff is hot but there is nothing going on and it always goes away after driving Jeep for a short distance. Mine is manual tranny, transfer case in neutral and transmission in second gear is the way I tow, same for the last TJ as well. I decided it is grime and dirt accumulating on exhaust and engine from being towed.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #21

This is my 3rd wrangler but first one I’ve as a toad.
I crawled under it this morning and found what looks like road tar and grime on exhaust pipe. Went for a ride and sure enough it burnt off and the smell meant away.
As for the not rolling well, after a 15 minute drive it was back to normal. I have no clue what was going on other than it just needed driving.
I’m going to watch it close the next couple of days to make sure nothing is wrong.
Thanks for all the replies.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Good point(s) and both are spot on!

Fish is this your first Wrangler, and have you used 4LO much at all?
Quote:
Agreed, this is normal. I notice the smell worse if I have been doing a lot of towing in the rain, it’s just road grime, the smell usually goes away after a short drive. The slowing down or not rolling is just part of the Jeeps transmission and systems....a sort of engine braking you could call it.
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpcb View Post
Today we got to our camping spot for the next few days and unhooked the Jeep. Then we decided to go for a ride. 5 minuets into the ride we started smelling what we thought was brakes. Pulled over and all wheels and breaks were cool. Started down the hill and found a spot to put in 4 wd to check the transfer case. This may be the problem. I found that in 4 low the Jeep don’t won’t to roll very well. On a hill rolling and going to neutral it will come to a stop like you were applying brakes. It does a little better in to wheel drive but don’t roll like it should.
Anyone seen this before?

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
The smell is normal. Road grime gets up on exhaust while towing. It will smell for some miles then will go away. Has happened on both of my jeeps when towing. As for the other issue - again normal IF YOU WERE IN 4 LOW AS STATED. Hill assist will do this. Also engine braking is very pronounced in 4 low. 4 low is no needed unless you are rock crawling or using your jeep on very steep inclines - that is why it does that to save brakes. It is all in the owners manual......

Hope this helps
Old 05-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
After towing, I always get a whiff of burning rubber smell. First time I was alarmed and checked everything under the sun, thinking I’m about to set my Honda CRV on Fire. Than I found out, it is normal thing. Rubber dust accumulation over the exhaust pipes after towing is just burning off. It goes away after a day or two.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
We are towing a 2014 Jeep GC. When driving the Jeep after towing noticed a temporary burning smell. Was advised, on iRV2, it’s the road grime,dust or whatever that builds up on the muffler and exhaust pipe burning off. Talked to others who tow, same experience.
Gsgarland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell, tow, towing