Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #1

XANTREX PROsine 2.0 Question

Troops,

Our RV is part of our Hurricane Irene Disaster Prep Plan. I just checked generator (Onan diesel 5500) coolant and oil level and ran the genset to charge batteries. Unfortunately, the inverter/converter (PROsine 2.0) reported only "standby" and did not shift to "charge". I am researching the manual but thought one of you guys out there could give me a quick guide to trouble shoot before the Hurricane really kicks my butt. Appreciate any feedback while I study the manual...

I can make 110 vac, but my house bateries are not charging and are down to 10.3 vdc. No other changes, but was going to get after battery maintenance but was rained out, couldn't get off work in time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Can you throw another charger on the batteries in the interim? Any automotice charger will work fine, though it will take quite awhile to get them back to 100%.

The most likely explanation is that the Prosine is not getting 120v shore power to feed the charging function. It can't go into Charge mode without it. However, the same symptom could occur if the internal sense circuit fails to recognize that shore power is available.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Thanks Gary,

I saw your other post regarding inverters and was going to send you a note figuring you are the only inverter/converter subject matter expert I could access... The PROsine shows 115 vac input while the generator is running, so now am wondering if I need to "equalize" the batteries - or hit them with a charger as you suggest.

But my current theory is that I must pull the batteries and ensure I have a proper water level. I just bought the coach and have been working through "baselineing" maintenance, beginning with the engine (crankcase oil, oil, air and fuel filters) then the generator (oil, oil and air filters and coolant) and batteries were next - followed by transmission oil and filters.

A blasted hurricane got in the way of my schedule!

I can find nothing in the PROsine trouble shooting guide that relates. So is it possible that I have a low water issue or something with the batteries themselves that the inverter/converter senses that will not allow it to go to charge mode?

Once the hurricane passes, I can get out and hook-up an automotive battery charger and try to bum things back to life. But the eye is a little over 100 NM away and at 15 MPH will be here around 1900 - and high tide is 1945!

Thanks for your reponse and your time - MUCH appreciated!!!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #4

After 3 Xantrex 2.0 units failed on me I went to another type of unit. I do not think much of Xantrex.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #5

had this same problem last year. to make this short My unit has a large fuse tied to the batteries and I guess a power surge of some sort blew the fuse and the batteries would not charge unless i used another charger . I think the fuse was a 65 amp but my coach is not here for me to ck. The fuse was located in -line on the positive cable in the battery compartment (house Batteries) hope this helps!
Old 08-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

Thanks guys,

Hopefully by Sun night, I'll be able to get outside and continue trouble shooting. I'll start by looking for the pesky in-line fuze (Danke Swampdog). I'd have to rig and go in SCUBA now!!

One question though: If I had a blown in-line fuse, I would not be able to see a power level read-out on the PROsine panel, would I? Currently showing 10.3 vdc
Old 08-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is a 3MB PDF for owners manual if you don't have one.

Unlike the Freedom series that won't charge if batteries drop below 10.5V.
Prosine will charge a dead battery
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #8

Thanks Triker,

I downloaded the manual last night and reviewed the T/S section, which didn't help - but now your comment makes me believe even more that my problem is centered on the batteries and not the inverter, simply because nothing else adds up (at least to me and I'll be the first to admit that I am no EE!).

I need to pull the batteries and check the levels in the cells, and buy the remote tender kit so I can pump distilled water into the batteries since I have limited access from above.

Please send on any other ideas that come to mind and I appreciate you sending this.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you ask the prosine what the battery voltage was? It may be they were "Full up" as it were.

SUGGESTION (From Xantrex customer support back when it really was customer support)

Remove all power from the unit, Unplug from shore power and/or "Kill" the generator (or turn off the circuit breaker that feeds it) Disconnect the batteries, Turn it off at the inverter first (Center that big 3 position switch) Go have a cup of coffee.

Come back and restore power, turn on and see what happens.

No guarantees.. but it's free (Save for the cup of coffee) so you get at least what you paid for
Old 08-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #10

Thanks but PROsine told me 10.3 vdc...

It's been hot down here and I haven't had a chance to give the batteries some love. I have a feeling that's were my problems are originating.

Gary and Dr4Film suggested a good old bench testing of the batteries - which I'll do once Irene goes by.

Still, I'm curious and will have to I'll give your reset idea a shot before I yank the batteries...but we're drinking mimosas and not coffee during this blow.

Thanks for your post and I'll report back how your idea works. GREATLY appreciate you taking the time to reply!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had to reset mine a time or two... I liked it back when Xantrex Customer support was in the United States.. I heard they move it over seas but don't know if they moved back.. Watching NASA tv as I type.. (Internet podcasts, my other computer collects them slowly)
Old 08-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #12

https://picasaweb.google.com/1058157...75720188956946

I've yanked the batteries, put the VOM on them (all three were 10.3 vdc) and cleaned-up the battery box. All cells in all batteries were to proper level but two cells on one battery. My heapy-cheapy battery tester tells me the electrolyte is FUBAR. So tomorrow, I'll take the batteries to a local Interstate wholesaler who will load test for free and I'll see what I have.

Used the old baking soda and water treatement on the connection cables and used a wire wheel on a pnuematic die-grinder to really clean-up the cable ends. I then put di-electic grease on all the connections. Tomorrow I'll either re-install the original batteries or install new batteries depending on the load test results and then I'll see if my chager mode will charge batteries.

If any of you have any otehr ideas, I'd appreciate them. A big thanks to Gary and Richard for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IS the prosine accepting and passing 120vac? If so then the only other option we have for immed relief is a smart charger... Get a good size smart charger at your choice of automotive suppliers and hook it to the batteries.

Or get a progressive Dynamics 9200 series and hook it in.

NOTE: Check your "AC Breaker Size" as that too is something the Prosine looks at before charging batteries) ONe of the prosine menu options) I have been known to turn mine down to like 10 amps to prevent overlaod of a non-park host.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think a weak battery will prevent the Prosine from charging (unless it's a dead short), but it sounds like you do have a battery problem and you should get that out of the way first.

The Prosine is at least as "smart" as a PD 92xx. Probably smarter, since it has temperature compensation built in.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote