RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #1

XM Sirius Antenna for Motorhome

My current satellite radio antenna is a hockey puck on the dash of my motorhome. It does not work very well, losing the signal whenever we turn a corner or change direction of travel.

I have seen a roof mounted marine antenna (Shakespeare SRA-50 Sirius XM Sat Radio Antenna) on The Web that looks aerodynamic and robust. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with it on a motorhome.

If not, I'd like to hear some opinions on what the best antenna solution is for a satellite radio in a motorhome.

Thanks!

MDougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a roof mounted antenna like the one you are looking at and it works fine. Better than one laying on the dash which I also tried for awhile. Some have said they mounted the little magnetic puck in the cabinets under the front fiberglass and that worked well also.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

I have the low profile SRA 25 antenna on both my travel trailer and runabout. works great and easy to install. I mounted the one on my TT right above the cabinet that houses the radio, behind a false wall was a wire chase, all the speaker wires, fm am antenna and power wires ran thru that chase, so I just dropped the sirius antenna wire down the chase. I have an old, portable (Sportsman) sirius receiver I use in the TT.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my previous coach, 2005 Diplomat, I ran the satellite antenna wire up one of the "A" pillars and then above one of the upper cabinets. I was able to reach above the cabinet and set the magnetic puck right on a piece of metal framing. I took it for a drive and lost signal in a certain direction. I moved the puck over two inches and it worked great. No need to drill through he roof.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #5

I ran mine out the refrigerator vent and it's been sitting on top of that vent for many a mile. (Willie's Road House, all day long)
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #6

The previous owner of our coach had one of the low-profile antennas glued to the roof (there isn't a metal plate underneath) and sealed with dicor. I've not plugged our receiver into it yet, but channel 184 was coming in to the receiver he left in there so I'm assuming it works. The wire comes down the a-pillar under the dash and I ran it out the bottom of the rear-view monitor hole when installing a new monitor along with the aux cable that he had going to the stereo.

As a side not I installed a cellular booster and bought a metal cover plate from the electrical department @ Home Depot and epoxied that to the roof and drilled through the roof next to this antenna wire. I could probably get a Sirius antenna on the plate with the one for the cellular booster if needed.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #7

The following mostly applies to a Class C installation.
Reading extensively about mounting options before installing ours, we learned that a fiberglass roof does not impede the signal. First, mounted a metal plate behind a removable corner panel in the cabinet above the table....and attached the antenna puck to the plate. No need to drill through the roof. Attached the wiring along inconspicuous places....under the bunk, then carefully stuffed between the door molding and headliner, down the pillar, then under the dash. No one ever sees it. Took some time to install, but it has worked flawlessly.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I just installed one of these Tram truck antennas on my Entegra. The factory installed Shakespear antenna often lost signal. The manufacturer installed a second one with the same results. This new Tram antenna was cheap and gets a great signal. I threw away the mirror mounting and just used SS screws to anchor the L bracket at the back of my fiberglass cap and sealed everything. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/7732-Satellit...3T5FCQGNCA9BM4
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:49 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
My 1st adventure in the Bounder I ran the wire for my Hockey puck out the side window beside the drivers seat and let stick to the rear view mirror bolt cover and it road just great and had good signal the whole trip.
Coming back I set it on top and stuck it to the wingaurd base plate.
Road good there too.
Gonna be doing something different soon as a permanent fixture.
lrodTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #10

Installed a couple of months ago a Shakespeare SRA-50 Galaxy Sirius XM antenna https://goo.gl/1dsgBT on the cockpit of a 36' sailboat. Price around $50, small, solid, easy to setup, excellent reception. Boat cockpit is made of fiberglass, should be fine as well on a motorhome roof.

voyaginator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, motorhome