Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=hes4all;1795839]

As for letting the pumps stop on their own. On another post a guy did a mileage check and kept filling till fuel shot out. Was told not to do that because there was too much foam. He was told to stop filling when the pump stopped on its own.

How could one possibly come up with an accurate MPG check by letting the fuel pumps click off automatically. The shut off is influenced by several things, temperature, pressure, amount of foam present etc, and doesn't shut off automatically at the same point on each filling. Only accurate way is to manually fill till you see liquid fuel in the filler neck. Putting in the last few gallons slowly, manually will get the liquid past the foam.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
You are correct for the 1 gallon. I bought 5 gallons because they gave me a really good price and shipping so it actually worked out to .08 per gallon. And if I didn't like it I would just sell it to my neighbor who loves it.

At least you checked them out. Did you read the study?

As for the to many varibles, that will always come up from someone. Kind of why I didn't want to share this. No offense taken, just tried to do everything the same to see for myself if it worked.

As for letting the pumps stop on their own. On another post a guy did a mileage check and kept filling till fuel shot out. Was told not to do that because there was too much foam. He was told to stop filling when the pump stopped on its own.

Will do it again in the spring and see. As for me, would like to see it again too. One thing I can tell you is the Lucas product has never ever done anything for me when it comes to MPG's.

Thanks
Yes I've read the test results and associated data. That's why I buy biodiesel when available, somewhere in MO along I 70 is a truck stop/station that sells 100% biodiesel, I haven't stopped there yet because every time I pass I miss the exit. Optilube SPD is #2 on the list but can't find it in stores, so I use FPPF occasionally, not for any mileage claim, but for lubricity.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #17

I couldn't find the Optilube in stores here either. And I live about 200 miles from them. You do mean XPD?
Old 11-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #18

An additive that I know works is an oil additive call "Restore". My `70 Toyota Land Cruiser was so worn out, the pistons were trying to swap holes. It coats the scratches in the cylinder and allows for more compression. I usually added it every oil change or whenever I noticed a loss of power. Comes in 4, 6, and 8 cylinder sizes. As always YMMV.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
An additive that I know works is an oil additive call "Restore". My `70 Toyota Land Cruiser was so worn out, the pistons were trying to swap holes. It coats the scratches in the cylinder and allows for more compression. I usually added it every oil change or whenever I noticed a loss of power. Comes in 4, 6, and 8 cylinder sizes. As always YMMV.
That is not a fuel additive, right? That is the discussion.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #20

Was it not beneficial?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #21

iRV2 No Limits Club
Not the same fuel additive listed but other info on fuel - Gas additives:

Review of Gas Treatment & Fuel Additive Products - Alcohol Content

You may / may not find it beneficial.

Dunner you are right about Restore.
I started using it 20 years ago.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #22

Nick, it is a fuel additive (both diesel and gas) that claims to increase mpg, reduce carbon emissions and engine wear ??? More info is available at www.fueltour.com .

Ron
Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythedog View Post
Nick, it is a fuel additive (both diesel and gas) that claims to increase mpg, reduce carbon emissions and engine wear ??? More info is available at www.fueltour.com .

Ron

Is it me or does this look like one of those pyramid schemes?
Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythedog View Post
Ron
Ron, Lots of comments but doesn't look like anyone here has actually tried it so you are nominated to be the guinea pig. About the only thing you could measure is changes in fuel economy. Good luck with that on a motorhome (motorhome = 20 -30,000 lb rolling brick wall).

I'm with James on this one:

Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #25

I have not seen anything here that really shakes my tree.

When there is a true, proven solution, I will hear about it somehow.

I will let y'all be the R&D.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #26

I have a 1987 country coach with the 3208 cat. I had the fuel pump rebuilt recently. I asked the techs at the shop that do the rebuilds about fuel additives. They said that the quality of diesel fuel today doesn't have the lubrication that the old fuel had. They sold additives there. But told me that a lot are the same or close. They said that lucas, Diesel clean and staydine all lubricate the internal pump parts. I recently used lucas in mine and noticed reduced black smoke. I haven't checked the mpg yet. I drove big rigs for 27 years and always used something at least once in a while. I used transmission fluid to clean injectors in the past. I'm sure the EPA doesn't approve of that anymore. Just my thoughts. God bless. David.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #27

I used to use Stanadyne, but didn't like that they filled them to the brim. Cut the foil seal and you had the stench on you for hours, if not days.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #28

Those people that mentioned if an additive was needed the car and oil companies would tell you about it....WRONG...
The car companies want to sell cars and trucks.. Anything that prolongs their projected life takes money out of their pockets.. Same with the oil companies, why put an additive in the fuel that would increase the milage? They want you to buy more fuel not less! Anything that increases the lubricity generally will increase mileage. Anything that cleans injectors-spray pattern- and the fuel system will increase mileage because you get better combustion in the cylinders.
You got to remember that our society has changed to a disposable, use it and throw it away mentality.

rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel