Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
Those people that mentioned if an additive was needed the car and oil companies would tell you about it....WRONG...
The car companies want to sell cars and trucks.. Anything that prolongs their projected life takes money out of their pockets.. Same with the oil companies, why put an additive in the fuel that would increase the milage? They want you to buy more fuel not less! Anything that increases the lubricity generally will increase mileage. Anything that cleans injectors-spray pattern- and the fuel system will increase mileage because you get better combustion in the cylinders.
You got to remember that our society has changed to a disposable, use it and throw it away mentality.

I could not disagree more. I have first hand knowledge (with Ford at least) of specific programs to increase MPG and get scrapped because it did not work. While we are in a disposable world, reliability has to be priority or else sales would be down because of that lack of reliability. Manufactures spend millions of dollars in R&D to prolong service life, MPG, and pass the ever changing emissions regulations.

If you were involved in any mechanical work you would know many many many people use gasoline for cleaning internal parts during disassembly. So a properly designed injector will never need cleaning outside the normal use of good quality gasoline. I also see proof every day through injector test and longterm fuel trims that the injectors are spraying the same pattern at 150K mile as when they were new.

The problem is, the additive companies try to convince you that you need their product. It works pretty good with many customers. Fortunately the majority does not get caught up in the myth's.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #30

Guess how many miles are on this engine that never used any additive other than gasoline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131108_111852995_HDR.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	51172  
Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #31

In the 70s the Big 3 took alkyl zinc out of motor oil in collusion with the oil industry. Alkyl zinc was the main antiwear adative. But it fouled the catalytic converters that had a 5 year warranty. Alkyl zinc was left in diesel formulated oil. Do not trust the Big 3, they are in business for the buck. You can buy chevron with techtron gas but will pay .08 cents a gallon more for it. Back to the topic. I use Archoil adative in my oil and diesel. Archoil oil addative will stop stiction in the 6.0 Ford instantly. That is good enough for me. Since using the fuel addative my highway milage empty has gone from 18 to 19.5 empty. Loaded 17,500 lb has gone from 12.5 to 13. that is a 12,000 mile average.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #32

I will second the Zinc not in oil any more.I build three to four motors a year and for break in I buy Joe Gibbs break in oil for that reason. It has Zinc in it for the break in period. Not cheap but worth it for sure.

My 2 cents!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
I will second the Zinc not in oil any more.I build three to four motors a year and for break in I buy Joe Gibbs break in oil for that reason. It has Zinc in it for the break in period. Not cheap but worth it for sure.

My 2 cents!

That break in stuff is needed for flat tappet cam shafts that require it. Since the 90's most engines came with roller cams or valve trains that don't require it. That additive was removed from the oil mixture due to the FED requiring it to be removed due to emissions.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
That break in stuff is needed for flat tappet cam shafts that require it. Since the 90's most engines came with roller cams or valve trains that don't require it. That additive was removed from the oil mixture due to the FED requiring it to be removed due to emissions.

You are correct. Not trying to plead my case here but: A Nascar motor has a roller cam and roller lifters and they use the break in oil too, that is how I got it. Also I have talked many times with Larry Morgan (Pro stock Racer) and he also uses the break oil. Oh well, that's the best thing about America, we can choose to agree or disagree.

Back to the Op's question about XP3. I think it is XPD
I posted awhile ago that I used XPD in my coach. I tried to do the best I could to get a accurate mpg, but some here said I did it wrong (Oh well, that's the best thing about America, we can choose to agree or disagree)?

For the past month and a half I have been using it in my 2007 Duramax truck just to see if it does anything for it?

After using over 12 tanks of fuel I have averaged right at 19.1 mpg. Before using the treatment I was at 17.3 mpg. You can do the math on this.

Mixing ratio at this time is 1/2 oz per gallon because of the cold weather. As I type this it is 12 degrees here in Southern Idaho.

I bought the XPD in a five gallon pail at a cost of .08 per 1/2 oz. They gave me a good deal because I purchased two pails and shipping was free.

This coming spring I will do another check with my coach for a 2000 mile trip and as instructed by another poster to "fill it up till you can see the fuel"!

I am just sharing my experience with it. Yours may vary?
Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #35

Quote:
You are correct. Not trying to plead my case here but: A Nascar motor has a roller cam and roller lifters and they use the break in oil too, that is how I got it. Also I have talked many times with Larry Morgan (Pro stock Racer) and he also uses the break oil. Oh well, that's the best thing about America, we can choose to agree or disagree.

Back to the Op's question about XP3. I think it is XPD
I posted awhile ago that I used XPD in my coach. I tried to do the best I could to get a accurate mpg, but some here said I did it wrong (Oh well, that's the best thing about America, we can choose to agree or disagree)?

For the past month and a half I have been using it in my 2007 Duramax truck just to see if it does anything for it?

After using over 12 tanks of fuel I have averaged right at 19.1 mpg. Before using the treatment I was at 17.3 mpg. You can do the math on this.

Mixing ratio at this time is 1/2 oz per gallon because of the cold weather. As I type this it is 12 degrees here in Southern Idaho.

I bought the XPD in a five gallon pail at a cost of .08 per 1/2 oz. They gave me a good deal because I purchased two pails and shipping was free.

This coming spring I will do another check with my coach for a 2000 mile trip and as instructed by another poster to "fill it up till you can see the fuel"!

I am just sharing my experience with it. Yours may vary?
I would agree with some diesel additives. Gasoline additives are pretty much snake oil to get your money. However diesel fuel can be improved with the proper additives. This is out of the owners manual for a Ford Superduty:
Diesel fuel conditioner
Additives that will improve fuel cetane numbers may be used to
verify/enhance fuel quality. Use Motorcraft
or an equivalent cetane
booster & performance improver as listed in the
Maintenance product
specifications and capacities
section in this chapter. The customer
warranty may be void from using additives that do not meet or exceed
Ford specifications.
Do not use alcohol based additives to correct fuel gelling. This may
result in damage to the fuel injectors/system. Use Motorcraft
or an
equivalent anti-gel & performance improver as listed in the
Maintenance
product specifications and capacities
section in this chapter. The
customer warranty may be void from using additives that do not meet or
exceed Ford specifications.

Note:
These ultra-low sulfur formulations are designed to meet the
emissions standards for the 6.7L engine and is backward compatible as
well (i.e., can be used in Ford 7.3L, 6.9L, 6.4L and 6.0L diesel engines in

Ford vehicles).

I believe it is the Cetane booster that is what helps the MPG for a diesel.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #36

Well we do agree that in deisels there can be a inprovement. And I also agree we you that for a gas motor it is "Snake oil"!

I do believe that the XPD does increase the Cetane level 5-7 points.

Even Cummins make this statement on thier web site; "Cummins Filtration offers an array of fuel additive products to enhance the fuel system performance and support new emission standards. Changing regulations that have lead to the use of biodiesel blends and ULSD fuels have created unique maintenance needs across the globe. The addition of high quality fuel additives is now an important element in every good diesel engine maintenance program".

The cylinder head that you showed looks like a small block Chevy but I could be wrong because I am just looking at the intake. What helps a gas motor the must in correct tuning. The newer motors with injection sure help them burn cleaner for sure.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Well we do agree that in deisels there can be a inprovement. And I also agree we you that for a gas motor it is "Snake oil"!

I do believe that the XPD does increase the Cetane level 5-7 points.

Even Cummins make this statement on thier web site; "Cummins Filtration offers an array of fuel additive products to enhance the fuel system performance and support new emission standards. Changing regulations that have lead to the use of biodiesel blends and ULSD fuels have created unique maintenance needs across the globe. The addition of high quality fuel additives is now an important element in every good diesel engine maintenance program".

The cylinder head that you showed looks like a small block Chevy but I could be wrong because I am just looking at the intake. What helps a gas motor the must in correct tuning. The newer motors with injection sure help them burn cleaner for sure.

The engine is a 3.5L Ford V6. It is a 4 valve per cylinder design.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #38

Pretty dumb on my part. Didn't even see the second intake valve.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #39

Quote:
Pretty dumb on my part. Didn't even see the second intake valve.

LOL.

Tags
fuel