Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #1

Yamaha 2000 inverter generator conversion

Has anyone converted their gas powered Honda or Yamaha 2000 inverter generator over to run on propane? I am looking at a kit that costs about $250 that will convert e Yamaha over but still allow it to run on gas if needed.

Just wondering if this will work as advertised? I am not trying to run the 13500 btu ac just the other normal electrics.
Ricker991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I converted 2 wheeled generators to propane. Easy to do & immediate starts.
Not sure how do Onan/Honda/Yamaha.

Used these kits

https://centuryfuelproducts.com/gene...SAAEgKRG_D_BwE

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #3

I modified a couple of Yamaha 2000,s a few years ago. Used a tri fuel option. Pretty easy to do and worked fine
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I modified a couple of Yamaha 2000,s a few years ago. Used a tri fuel option. Pretty easy to do and worked fine.
For those that are interested in the Tri-fuel option (gasoline, propane or natural gas) go to www (dot) uscarburetion (dot) com and check it out... just remember that the capability of your generator drops from 15% to 20% when you go to natural gas.

Look at any factory dual fuel genny spec sheet and compare Propane to natural gas - all of them show that NG has about 80% to 85% of the rated power compared to propane.

I have friends with both Honda and yamaha 2000-2200 generators. The one with the Yamaha bought it as it has a simple carburetor drain that the Honda doesn't - he uses the genny only during power outages and for Boy Scout camping trips and for the annual Baker to Vegas foot race. With the easy-drain feature there is no gumming up of the carburetor...

A while back we experimented with his Yamaha and a 1000/1500 watt heater... note that the Yamaha is rated for 2000W peak and 1600W continuous. With gasoline the genny had no problems at the 1500 watt "high" setting. On propane you could tell it was close to max load but it ran just fine. On natural gas it just could not handle the 1500 watt load. It ran fine on the "warm" setting (1000 watts) but really struggled at 1500 watts...

So the Yamaha 2000 (and therefore the similar sized Honda, Champion, etc) will have a limit on NG of roughly 1200 watts... which matches my experimental results.

Mike
Old 10-26-2019, 05:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker991 View Post
Has anyone converted their gas powered Honda or Yamaha 2000 inverter generator over to run on propane? I am looking at a kit that costs about $250 that will convert e Yamaha over but still allow it to run on gas if needed.

Just wondering if this will work as advertised? I am not trying to run the 13500 btu ac just the other normal electrics.
Although the conversion sounds like a great idea?
Propane is more expensive than gasoline. My Onan will run 8 to 9 hours on a single 40 lb bottle.
That's about 9.5 gallons of propane.
Compared to the Honda 2000 ?
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #6

Although the conversion sounds like a great idea?
Propane is more expensive than gasoline. My Onan will run 8 to 9 hours on a single 40 lb bottle.
That's about 9.5 gallons of propane.
Compared to the Honda 2000 ?

----------------------------------------------------------
Exactly my thought, I have a dual fueled Champion 3500 and it will burn a 20# propane cylinder in less than 24 hours, more like 16 hours if I recall correctly. It's been awhile since I experimented with it. Around here that's something like $14-15 of propane a day, plus it's a PITA to get the cylinder refilled. 5 gal of gas will last something like 30 hours.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #7

I bought our Honda EU3000i in 2013 and had it converted to propane. This servers us well as we only use the gen for power outages which only ave 2-4 hours/year. I never have to worry about old gas and we always have propane available with the 2 bottles on the RV.
This is the conversion co. we used and I shipped the generator to them via UPS, they did a professional job.
https://genconnexdirect.net/genconnex_contacts.htm
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #8

I gave up on gas generators 2 years ago. Had 2 Yamahas worked well for the purpose but got tired of the maintenance, carburetor issues, storing gas in the truck, (2 5 galllon cans) then having to stabilize the gas, felt the need to deal with security problems with chains and locks cause they are so light, moving them to safe area to run then the security of them became a problem. Never crossed my mind to secure them but last trip with them was the last straw when both full gas cans were stolen out of the back of the truck while dining.
Went to propane 4500 watt Dual fuel Westinghouse. Have 3 20lb propane tanks in back of truck then 2 more 30lb tanks in the camper if I want to use them to run it and it is heavy enough Tarzan would have trouble picking it up under the nose of the 5er.
No more issues it stays in the truck under the bed cover out of the weather when running, just to simple
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #9

The main reason I want to see about the conversion is to stop carrying gas in the truck. I don't need the generator other than to charge the batteries and run a few appliances from time to time ( like my wife's hairdryer).

I would have liked to have an inverter but that is not an option for our 24 foot Jayco travel trailer. Some of our favorite camping spots do not lend themselves to solar panels, which we have.

If we can do the conversion I can also run the generator off the trailer front propane tanks. Since we don't full time propane supply is not a problem.

We have a champion duel fuel generator but it seems to be getting a little heavier each year. The weight difference between the champion and the Yamaha is a big motivating factor in the conversion as well.
Ricker991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter