Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yellow Plastic

We have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer and some of the plastic on the outside has yellowed a lot. Just wondering if some of you folks here have the same conditions. The worst is the outside cover for the Refer. My guess would be that it started life the same color as the coach.
Any of you folks currently have or have had this problem, and if so what did you do, or can anything be done? Love the Coach, just returned last month from a 3000 mi trip from SoCal to MO. and back. Both DW and I had a great time, no problems at all.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Piledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same problem with the exterior mirror covers on my rig. They had yellowed badly due to lack of UV protection in the plastic.
So I painted them using Krylon Fusion, a spray paint specially formulated for plastics. Available at any decent hardware/paint store. This was two years ago and they still look great.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Had some yellowing plastic when we got our unit last year. Bought some white spray paint and voila no more yellow.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #4

Super Clean. Comes in one gallon purple jugs. Under $10 @ Walmart Auto section. Smaller spray bottles available too. It is/was made by Castrol.

Works GREAT on the yellowed plastic. Also, fantastic as a tire cleaner.

Easiest way to wipe off the ugly on the outside of the water hose too

Could not believe how easy and how fast it works!!!!

On the yellowed plastic, spray on pure, keeping a wet edge and watch the discoloration run off. Rinse well with clean water. May need a second spray or a quick wipe with a dampened sponge. It's that easy.

Tires may require a quick pass with a small scrub brush if really discolored. Look like new without that tacky "wet look".

Keep off paint and especially shiny aluminum wheels.

Works on many other dirty jobs but is tough on skin too. Avoid breathing the mist or it will certainly lead to coughing.
ISM500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #5

Awesome from the Dollar Store will take the yellow off if you don't want to spray paint the plastic. DON'T let it run down the side of the rv, it will take the wax off and hurt the fiberglass finish. Try it diluted first, if that doesn't work try it full strength. I tape paper towels with that blue paint tape underneath when I clean our front door frame.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I had the same problem with the exterior mirror covers on my rig. They had yellowed badly due to lack of UV protection in the plastic.
So I painted them using Krylon Fusion, a spray paint specially formulated for plastics. Available at any decent hardware/paint store. This was two years ago and they still look great.
Caused by UV sun exposure, and is not a surface discoloration, no amount of cleaning will return back to the original color. You may get it clean, but not the white that it was. Fusion made by Krylon as stated, is made for adhering to plastic and once done will last for years. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #7

If its already 'yellowed' there is nothing that will bring it back to its original color...nothing. 3 choices...leave it be, paint it, or replace it. Some products might lighten the color but thats it.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #8

Acetone will easily remove the yellow and restore the plastic to its original white color. Be sure to wear gloves and apply it in a well ventilated area.
CharlieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Acetone will easily remove the yellow and restore the plastic to its original white color. Be sure to wear gloves and apply it in a well ventilated area.
Acetone is pretty well known for it's ability to melt plastic. I'd try this plan someplace where's it's not going to be too ugly if it fails.

I've tried the Castrol plan too. The results have been mixed, and when seemingly successful, only temporary - even when you get a coat of RMP on it right away.

Have now gone with the painting plan. Have been using Dupli Color Perfect Match, in Ford Wimbledon White, which is nearly an exact match to our older off white coach. Seems like they've reformulated this stuff. Much easier to use than what it used to be. Found in most any discount auto supply.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Acetone or lacquer thinner works - I've used it too. But it does literally melt the surface of the plastic and takes some care to get a nice finish. I recommend practicing in an unobtrusive place, or better yet, on a piece of scrap plastic.

The basic technique is to dampen a piece of clean, lint-free cloth with acetone and wipe with smooth, continuous strokes. Don't pause in the movement or move in a circle or you will get blobs or swirls in the surface.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #11

Removing the yellow stains with Super Clean

Gee, sure glad I have been following this thread. It's a bit disturbing to learn that a product that worked for so many years has just now been discredited but always willing to learn. Must have been a dream. No matter - have sold that RV which was part of the illusion. Can only hope the new owner is a subscriber here so he too can correct his errant ways.

Just glad I never encountered this thread before I started using Super Clean.
ISM500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Paint with "Krylon Fusion for Plastic". Fantastic results and it lasts! Can get it at Home Depot, Walmart, etc.

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #13

Whitewall tire cleaner will remove the yellow, and it leaves a pitted(often called sun-rot) white surface. Been there_just once. Now I paint the UV discolored plastic.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #14

As mentioned, Krylon Fusion is the way to go.