Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Like many, Yellowstone is my favorite park. Haven't been able to camp in the park because until this year I only had a soft side tent or pop up.

Agree with the suggestion to go to Red Lodge and over both Beartooth and Chief Joseph passes. Beartooth is about 12,000 ft and the view is beyond spectacular. Been over both on the motorcycle and it is a blast. These really are not good drives for big rigs and large MH, regardless of engine configuration.

Plan on spending several days inside the park and taking your time. Read the displays and learn about the formations and the wildlife.

Whatever happens, DO NOT feed Yogi. Especially if there is someone on a motorcycle in line behind you. Ask me how I know....

Enjoy the best if the USA.

John
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
I've seen 40-45 ft RVs and tour buses all over the park. I'd avoid Blacktail Plateau Drive (gravel) Chittenden Road, and a few others, but the rest of the roads are fine. At night I've encountered semis with 53' trailers supplying villages around the park. If you're not comfortable with grades, you might avoid Dunraven Pass, that's about the longest up/down in the park, but still doable. The road was redone a few years ago and has improved.

Park Map Viewer

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I live about two hours from the park and have been going there for many years. Just stay at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone and take your toad through the park, taking in different attractions each day. Don't forget to go south into Teton National Park that is adjoined to Yellowstone. I've stayed at Coulter Bay RV Park there but it's tight for a 40' rig. The museum in Cody, WY is awesome and takes all day to appreciate it's displays. Have a great trip, you won't be disappointed. Just as a tip and strictly MHO, I wouldn't take my rig over Dunraven, the Beartooth or most places in the Bighorn Mountains.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #18

Try to get to Grand Teton also, beautiful park. Took a float trip down the river that was stunning. Balled eagle circling overhead and settled into a tall tree just above us!
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sandy,

I was in Yellowstone last year in late May. I headed in thru the east entrance and ran thru a blinding snow storm on the highway outside the park. We had to wait until 8 pm to enter due to the risk of avalanches. The snow was 20 feet high in places!!! and the campgound we parked at had over a foot on the ground. Lower elevations were snow free, tho.

PLEASE, take seriously the warnings about the wild animals in the park. A man was killed last year by a grizzly bear, and the bear lost his life because of the man's stupidity. Read the info on the nps.gov website.

I would suggest you consider renting a car instead of trying to see everything from a large RV. I found that most of my attention was needed for driving my 25’ moho and I missed alot. I've planned a return trip next fall now that I have a toad.

It's a great place! Enjoy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #20

Thanks a lot yall

This place sounds amazing. Is it very high. Or, putting it another way. Is a big chicken, whose afraid of heights, gonna still enjoy the park and all it has to offer?

We have a toad. Its an 87? honda crx, and its totally cool. But we will be looking up at most of the animals. Hope we dont get stepped on.

NOW, HOW BOUT THAT MOTORCYCLE N THE GRIZZLY story!?

TEE HEE! this is a good nah GREAT! thread!

Sandy of Sandy n John
Mysticcherok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
There are roads that border on valleys, but guardrails or stone barriers help keep you from going where your don't want to. I once had a dear friend riding shotgun in a 15 pass. van through YNP get very nervous when she could look down into canyons. I found a scrap of 2x4 and put on the floor under her feet -- it was her 'brake' to push on when needed.

YNP was the world's first national park and it easy to see why. The first official explorers did not want to see it become like Niagara Falls, with it's tourist traps and commercialization, thus the birth of the NP. Seeing the mostly unspoiled wildness of the place gives one hope.

About your CRX, you'll be fine. I've had bison bump the mirrors of my van when they've passed me stopped in a BHM jam. (Big Hairy Mammal) BHM jams happen when someone spots wildlife and stops in the middle of the road. A part of park culture, they can often help you spot something you might have missed. Just remember none of the animals in the park are 'tame' (except horses and some people) and should be treated with respect and distance.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
We were in Yellowstone two summers ago. It was our first big trip and we couldn't have been happier. We camped at the Cody KOA. It was good and since we weren't towing at that point rented a car from Enterprise at the airport, which was very close. Yellowstone and the surrounding area was remarkable and all it is cracked up to be. I was glad that we had rented the car because pulling our 36' MH to look at the wildlife would have been difficult.

You're going to love it!!
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticcherok
Thanks a lot yall

This place sounds amazing. Is it very high. Or, putting it another way. Is a big chicken, whose afraid of heights, gonna still enjoy the park and all it has to offer?

We have a toad. Its an 87? honda crx, and its totally cool. But we will be looking up at most of the animals. Hope we dont get stepped on.

NOW, HOW BOUT THAT MOTORCYCLE N THE GRIZZLY story!?

TEE HEE! this is a good nah GREAT! thread!

Sandy of Sandy n John
Story is that I was transiting the park for the first time on my Kawi Z1, summer vacation from Spokane to San Antonio. Got stopped behind a line of cars. People were feeding the bears thru little slits at the top of the windows. Run out of food and the bests go to the next car in line.

Two cars in front of me ran out of nibbles and Yogi and Bobo were eyeing me appreciatively. Did you know that a '75 Kawasaki can do 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds?

Scary.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
We spent almost 2 weeks in the area. At the time(2 years ago) we couldn't get into a park of the West side, so we stayed in Wapiti in the Yellowstone Valley(Yellowstone Valley RV, actually). Not what we wanted, but after a while we were glad it happen that way...the drive into the park is beautiful and Cody was close enough to spend some time there as well. Also, you can't visit Yellowstone without driving(in your toad)the Beartooth(Pass, 10,947ft.) Hwy. and Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy...spectacular drives. A visit to the town of Red Lodge(NE of the park) is interesting. They have a lot of old car shows going on in the summer and there's great home made ice cream everywhere.

Bob
Bob, would you not attempt Beartooth driving the RV? I have seen some video of RVs on the Beartooth Highway, and I'd like to do that unless others advise against it. Are there steep dropoffs right beside the road? Thanks.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #25

If we wanted to rent a car, does anyone know where the closest place would be? Ideally, I'd like not to have to pick it up (and return it to) Denver or something!

Steve
Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
If we wanted to rent a car, does anyone know where the closest place would be? Ideally, I'd like not to have to pick it up (and return it to) Denver or something!

Steve
We stayed in West Yellowstone. There are car rental firms there.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #27
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
Bob, would you not attempt Beartooth driving the RV? I have seen some video of RVs on the Beartooth Highway, and I'd like to do that unless others advise against it. Are there steep dropoffs right beside the road? Thanks.
If you want as nice and relaxed drive, do it in a car. The switchbacks on the Red Lodge side are fun in a car. Don't forget the Chief Joseph Highway.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Car rentals are available in Cody, W. Yellowstone, Jackson Airport, and Gardener, MT, so all sides of the park. The Beartooth Highway is spectacular, but it up to you and your comfort level. I've done it in a VW bug and driving an old 67 passenger school bus. Here's a link to the highway, decide for yourself:

Welcome to the Beartooth Highway in Montana & Wyoming

Bob & Donna