Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
Story is that I was transiting the park for the first time on my Kawi Z1, summer vacation from Spokane to San Antonio. Got stopped behind a line of cars. People were feeding the bears thru little slits at the top of the windows. Run out of food and the bests go to the next car in line.

Two cars in front of me ran out of nibbles and Yogi and Bobo were eyeing me appreciatively. Did you know that a '75 Kawasaki can do 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds?

Scary.
Im slappin my knee. THAT is a hoot of a visual!
Thanks! Sandy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Yellowstone's Edge is the campground in Emigrant, although their mailing address is Livingston, 20 miles to the North. Y/E is on hwy 89, the road through aptly named Paradise Valley. It's ~30 miles to the park's North Gate (the famous one). It's a wonderful campground on 3000 ft of the Yellowstone River. Super knowledgeable owners (native Montanans) , and there is a car rental company that will deliver and pick-up at the campground. And usually about 10 flavors of local handmade ice cream in the camp store. Good Sam discounts apply (FMCA too I think).

Rear Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
I and the DW will be at Grizzley R.V. Park on the 19th and 20th of May. We are taking the Yellow Bus Tour for the lower loop on the 19th and have reserved a compact car for the 20th for $49.00. Very reasonable and they pick you up for the tour at the R.V. Park...Looking forward to the visit. Have fun on your trip.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #32

we visited with a caravan & our 40' people dropped out did their own thing for the time we were at YS. We are 33 but measure 35 & had tough time getting in site. Hook-ups were surrounded by concrete pillers & our slide out wouldn't initially clear. Did a little lift & grunt.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #33

Spoke to a motorcycle rider who was part of a family staying next to us. Asked him if he got caught by the bison blocking the road. He said he's never had a scarier moment than just sitting on his bike as the bison wander through the stopped traffic.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've been there but it was in '97. Stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA, will NEVER recommend it to anyone. But it may have changed by now too.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
Bob, would you not attempt Beartooth driving the RV? I have seen some video of RVs on the Beartooth Highway, and I'd like to do that unless others advise against it. Are there steep dropoffs right beside the road? Thanks.
Sorry for the lag time.. SRT is correct, although we saw lots of truck/campers and rented class 'C's, the Beartooth is best served up in a toad. The road is a 'must see' and most of the time I was thinking how glad I was not to be in the RV. I would say it's doable, but I personally would not task the RV's brake system to that extent...it is pretty extreme for a class 'A'. There is waaaay too much to see on those roads without worrying about controlling a big hunk of house and if busy, the pull offs may be tight...and there is lots of those you won't want to miss. I've been on many roads that we probably should not have been on, but the Beartooth and CJ hwys. have steeper grades of longer duration that I'm uncomfortable with. What a place...I've got goosebumps just thinking of it. I want to go back! Enjoy your trip. Bob

Oh, yes. There are some drop offs...usually with guard rails...some not. The dear wife was 'concerned'. I just told her "As long as we stay on the road, we'll be fine". Seriously, it's more 'wondrous' than scary.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Sorry for the lag time.. SRT is correct, although we saw lots of truck/campers and rented class 'C's, the Beartooth is best served up in a toad. The road is a 'must see' and most of the time I was thinking how glad I was not to be in the RV. I would say it's doable, but I personally would not task the RV's brake system to that extent...it is pretty extreme for a class 'A'. There is waaaay too much to see on those roads without worrying about controlling a big hunk of house and if busy, the pull offs may be tight...and there is lots of those you won't want to miss. I've been on many roads that we probably should not have been on, but the Beartooth and CJ hwys. have steeper grades of longer duration that I'm uncomfortable with. What a place...I've got goosebumps just thinking of it. I want to go back! Enjoy your trip. Bob

Oh, yes. There are some drop offs...usually with guard rails...some not. The dear wife was 'concerned'. I just told her "As long as we stay on the road, we'll be fine". Seriously, it's more 'wondrous' than scary.
Thanks for the info. I want to drive the Beartooth, but I'm not fool enough to tackle it with experienced people telling me not to! I'll either take a toad, or rent a car for the drive.
gfs1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #37

repair quote format

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
Thanks for the info. I want to drive the Beartooth, but I'm not fool enough to tackle it with experienced people telling me not to! I'll either take a toad, or rent a car for the drive.

There ya go. I think that's the way to see the Beartooth. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #38

Its my favorite park. Most experiences that amuse me are from there. There was one early morning where a very large moose was munching on some spinich looking thing by a large pond. This guy in a Porche pulls up in a hurry and gets out of his car with a Nikon camera and starts to see if he can get a better shot and begins walking down to this huge moose.The moose decided that he wanted no part of that guy and ran after him head down. This stupid guy makes a beeline for the center of the pond. There he is waste deep, the camera underwater and the mose just grazing at the edge. Every time this guy tried to move to get out the moose would keep him from getting out. This went on for some time. I finally called the hiway patrol. They ran off the moose and the guy ended up in the hospital for hypothermia.
Amother time we had a whole herd of buffalo surround us as the came off a hill, across the road, and through a stream in the hayden valley. When they get next to my Dodge 3500 4wheel drive truck twith my wife and kids inside, my then 5 year old son, climbs into the footwell of the truck crying that they are too big. Honestly they are huge with heads 3 feet tall and magnificent. What a sight... what a place. Take your time and remember the speed limit is 45MPH.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #39

There seems to be a LOT of interest. Maybe we should send a query to rally peeps, regarding a rally set in Yellowstone. THAT would be wonderful, Ill bet the attendance would be high, jmo Sandy of Sandy n John

Ill be leaving any motorbikes at home, thank you very much. Back in "the day" Maybe, but that was then and this is now,LOL! Now Im just a big ole Puss!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #40

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I'll second the suggestion of saving some time for a day to at least drive through the Tetons; if you have more time there are great hikes & boat rides. Watch a sunrise at Mormon Row - very impressive!

I actually prefer the Tetons to Yellowstone - much less crowded, beautiful lakes & the mountains are commanding.

Shot from the road:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASD_3077.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	20180  
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticcherok
There seems to be a LOT of interest. Maybe we should send a query to rally peeps, regarding a rally set in Yellowstone. THAT would be wonderful, Ill bet the attendance would be high, jmo Sandy of Sandy n John

Ill be leaving any motorbikes at home, thank you very much. Back in "the day" Maybe, but that was then and this is now,LOL! Now Im just a big ole Puss!
DWAnd I last did Yellowstone on the back of a Kawi Nomad that was about four years ago. I'd do it again today. On the back of a bike you really experience the park like no other way.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltrdr
Spoke to a motorcycle rider who was part of a family staying next to us. Asked him if he got caught by the bison blocking the road. He said he's never had a scarier moment than just sitting on his bike as the bison wander through the stopped traffic.
Yeh, you make sure that you don't rap the throttle.

Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote