Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #1

Yellowstone Trip Planning

In the process of planning another Yellowstone trip in mid October. While doing some research (OCD), I found the following on Parkcamper.com and thought someone might need a good laugh for the day.

"Lamar River: This scenic river flows through the heart of the famous Lamar Valley. You will be fishing amongst a true picture of the last real west. Casting the bends and pools while hundreds of bison, antelope, elk and eagles fly overhead is a unique experience. The Lamar is a good attractor pattern fishery. Hoppers, spiders, ants, beetles and various terrestrials are good choices."

I hope we get to see them FLY!

Be aware, if you are planning a trip to Yellowstone, there are main road closures in October that cause 2 hour detours. Naturally, did not find this great piece of news until after making reservations at Madison Campground near the West Entrance.

STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #2

Just a recommendation: I had an RV problem and Big Sky in West Yellowstone were fantastic. We also rented a 15 passenger van for our group from them, and they have snow gear rentals and tours. Really nice people.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #3

I'm sure you know that the bison are capable of flying. Isn't that where buffalo wings come from?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I'm sure you know that the bison are capable of flying. Isn't that where buffalo wings come from?
Thanks! I always need a laugh.
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
The Lamar Valley is known as, "the Serengeti of Yellowstone." Wolves were reintroduced in Lamar Valley in 1995 and that is a great place to spot them still. You won't see much just by driving the road, it takes stopping and a bit of hiking to see some action. I don't go anywhere in YNP out of a parking lot without Bear Spray. Keep it on your belt, it doesn't do any good to have it in your pack. October is when bears are getting their last meals before winter sleep, they can be aggressive. The road between Cooke City and Gardiner is open year round, all other roads close Nov. 3.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
I don't go anywhere in YNP out of a parking lot without Bear Spray.
While this isn't a bad practice, if you check you will find that bear incidents in Yellowstone are really not common, in spite of the stupid things that visitors do. I have spent a great deal of time in bear country, both inside and near Yellowstone as well as a few other locations and by taking reasonable precautions and being careful to follow the rules of the park in bear active areas, I have never had a dangerous bear encounter. The spray is a good idea, as long as you realize that it is a defense of last resort and that avoiding the encounter is a far better safety measure. Never approach a bear and avoid being between a mother and cup at all costs! Most bear/visitor difficulties are caused by failure to take the advice readily available in the park.

I own some bear spray, but have never used it for a bear in many years living and summering in bear active areas. I replace mine every 5 years.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I too haven't had to use the spray, but I've been 20 yards from a grizzly while walking the boardwalks at Old Faithful about 6:30 AM. I was standing still, he was moving towards me, looking for food, not even seeing me. When he stopped, I finally jingled the change in my pocket to get his attention then put my arms out. He took off in the other direction. I've also had them cross my path hiking up Mt. Washburn and near Jenny Lake in GTNP. For 20 summers I stayed on a ranch in the Wind River valley and we had bears about once a week wondering around. I don't carry the spray to be reckless, but it is one of the best defensive weapons you can carry in bear country.

You can distinguish black bear scat from grizzly scat, the grizzly bear scat has bells in it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote