Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #15

I am a first time RVer. I just put on 6 new tires. My spare has never been used, but is 14 years old and is a different brand and load rating. It is stored underneath the propane tank in open bottom storage.

Since I really don't gain any space, my thoughts is to carry it, and temporary use it if needed. I wouldn't place it in front unless I was a few miles from a tire dealer.

What is your thought of this plan?? Advice??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
99% of all Class A's have no spare. If you have a good road service plan you don't need one. Yes, if you need a new tire you will pay top dollar. Worth it not to have to waste storage space and drag around dead weight for years.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #17

I have one on my class A (under the rear bumper) with good insurance. Do i need to remove it or just leave it there?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #18

Mac,

You just posted about one of the least agreed-upon topics for RV's. Some of the entertainment value of this great forum is reading about people trying to convince others that their solution is the only correct answer. Others:

Diesel pusher vs. Gas engine motorhome

Diesel pick-up truck vs. gas pick-up

Motorhome vs. 5th wheel trailer

Class A vs. Class C

Trailer the TOAD vs. tow bar

Tow bar vs. flat tow

Propane absorption vs. residential refrigerator

Bigger is always better

Did I leave any out? (sorry for the thread highjack). On the original topic, I do carry a spare tire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freen03 View Post
We have a new 43 foot class A and I have thought about getting a good used spare tire not mounted of the same size just in case of a tire problem and i cannot find a correct size for a new one if needed. I know it will take up storage space but I was interested in what others are doing.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
After being gouged a couple times in my trucking days I carry a spare. You can be at their mercy.
^^^ This X2 ^^^

Still out there owning and running a big rig. Carry spare tires mounted to wheels and means of changing myself for the big truck, 5th wheel TT, 3500 tow rig, Jeeps, and everything else I have that rolls down the road.
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #20

You forgot Walmart vs. campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Mac,

You just posted about one of the least agreed-upon topics for RV's. Some of the entertainment value of this great forum is reading about people trying to convince others that their solution is the only correct answer. Others:

Diesel pusher vs. Gas engine motorhome

Diesel pick-up truck vs. gas pick-up

Motorhome vs. 5th wheel trailer

Class A vs. Class C

Trailer the TOAD vs. tow bar

Tow bar vs. flat tow

Propane absorption vs. residential refrigerator

Bigger is always better

Did I leave any out? (sorry for the thread highjack). On the original topic, I do carry a spare tire...
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere View Post
I have one on my class A (under the rear bumper) with good insurance. Do i need to remove it or just leave it there?
I certainly see no reason to remove it since you have a built in storage spot for it. Most of us who don't carry one made that decision to avoid having to give up storage space.

You do need to ask yourself how you want to "maintain" the spare however. I wouldn't want to use it (maybe even for a relatively short distance) if it were a really old tire which hadn't been run for years.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Good day to all. We carry a spare on our falcon2 hitch that's been extended to carry bikes. Since I can't ride them anymore ,the bike rack tilts down with locking pins and is raised up and locked after tire has been mounted! Our tires are odd sizes which makes it sometimes hard to find! We run Goodyear g662x22.5. They came on our gulfstream scenic cruiser with the K-2 chassis. We have only needed it once and that was good enough for us. Blew a right ft. Passin a semi on I-20 outside of Columbia SC. Called our good sam folks and requested a tire remount , they stated at that time the closest place to locate a tire was Macon Ga. We told them we carry a spare and only needed the roadside serv . 40 min. Later we were back on the rd. to Va. So yes it saves u time and money, and for my wife a little piece of mind!!!! If wife's happy , were all happy!!!! Happy camping to all! We're back home in Wa, for a short breather and back on the rd. again!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #23

Here is a solution to the Class A spare tire question.

Simpson Tire Mount - Carry a spare without a care.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Here is a solution to the Class A spare tire question.

Simpson Tire Mount - Carry a spare without a care.
That is a solution, not for me though. It costs as much as a new rim and tire you must buy to carry. I'll just pay the cost to have ERS bring me a new one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #25

I believe that the tires on any motor vehicle have the highest probability of failure relative to all other subsystems on even the most perfectly maintained vehicle. There are many external factors that can cause a tire to fail. Because of this I have always carried a spare tire on every car, truck, trailer and motorhome I ever had. Yes I have ERS and it is my preferred option for a MH flat (I can change a car tire faster than getting ERS to send help so I do those myself) but I am fully equipped to change my MH tire myself should the need arise out in the middle of nowhere. I even did a dry-run in my driveway to be sure I could do it.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #26

This question comes up all the time, and honestly, there's just no right answer.
We all know the risks, it's just a matter of being comfortable with those risks.

I never carry a spare....EXCEPT, when we went to Newfoundland for a month.
Didn't know what I'd run into up there, so the RISK outweighed the space I'd give up.

Other than that, who knows? You could drive 100,000 miles, as many have, without running into a problem, or you can drive 1,000 miles, and have 2 flats.

Roll of the dice...

You can somewhat mitigate the risk if you're in a tire buying cycle by switching to a common size. Mich likes to outfit rigs with a weird size that's not always readily available. When I re-sneakered, I bought SumiTomo truck tires, in a size that's available across a wide range of brands and dealers. Much easier to get a common size through a tire service, than sit on the side of the road for a day waiting for them to find a match.

If I ever get around to it, I'm going to cut up some bed frames (excellent angle iron stock, and CHEAP!), and make a "cage" between the frame rails under the rear of the rig, and slide the tire in there.

Jim
Old 05-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We had a blow out on a Saturday afternoon, not carrying a spare. First Good Sam said we had to buy a tire from their "in network" meaning a Goodyear, tire. We have no problem with Goodyear but the coach had 6 Michelin on it.

After a lot of fooling around they couldn't find an "in network" dealer near us and said we would need to buy the tire from the RSA they would send. Swell, that is what I wanted in the first place. Turns out no one nearby (that was open) had an exact match for us so to get home we bought a recap Michelin.

Home safe we replaced the four rear only since the front were replaced two weeks before and kept the recap. It fits nicely in the through basement storage, tucked into the middle, not an easy place to get stuff out of. We wrap it in a tarp and fill the middle with things we take but won't use much if at all.

Long story, short. We never planned to have a spare for the same reasons stated in this thread but not wanting to run a recap but owning one kind of forced our hand. Might have been able to sell it but it is a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing it is there.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry a spare tire, that is because the MH came with one. I also have all the tools to change it, my luck is I will get a flat and it will take road side assistance hours to get to me, and my rid has funny size tires. All 7 of my tires are 6 months old and if I get a flat, road side assistance will come change it if the wait is not too long. I can do it if needed but prefer not too.