Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #15

In the past, I've seen quite a few Yoko's used by the 18 wheelers - I wouldn't hesitate to use them.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #16

As long as hard doesn't bother you...

I put two new RY103's on the front of our Rexhall Aerbus this past year. They run smooth and seem to handle weather fine. Only complaint is they do ride harder than my previous Goodyears. Need to replace the 4 rear tires this year and not sure if I want the Yokohamas on the rear too or to stick with Goodyears. I got 60,000 miles in 8 years on the old Goodyears. I do like the higher capacity of the Yokohamas.
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #17

yokohoma tires

I just drove home from the tire shop Tuesday with two new 275/70R22.5 Yokohoma tires. I had been shopping around and michelins were hard to find and over $100. a tire more, and I just could bring my self to buy Goodyears because of the rivering problem they have. And Firestone, I wouldn't think of buying them. These Yoko's look like nice tires.
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m glad this thread has been resurrected.

I recently installed new Yoko’s on my ‘05 Providence. Prior to the Yoko’s, I had Goodyears. The GY’s on my front axle exhibited a terrible wear pattern (aka "rivering") and would have worn out prior to expiring, had I not rotated them.

We just completed our first short trip with the new Yoko’s. Our travel consisted of driving from Upland to Temecula California. The majority of the trip was via Interstate 15, which can get windy. The interstate surface is mostly grooved concrete. We drove to our destination while towing our Toyota Tacoma.

I had a difficult time controlling the MH. The wind pushed me around very easily and I had to constantly over-correct my steering. It was a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. Thinking something was wrong with the toad, I pulled over and checked out my towing hardware as well as the tires. Everything checked out ok. We continued on down the road, fighting the steering wheel until we hit asphalt. The MH straightened out then and was much easier to handle.

On the return trip home, I disconnected the toad and had the DW drive it. Once I hit the concrete surface, I began experiencing the same pushing problem, although less pronounced. The winds were about the same as the original drive.

I have never had this happen before with this coach, even when driving in higher winds. I had the coach aligned about 1200 miles ago and installed a steer-safe shortly thereafter. The only thing that has changed since I used it last are the new Yokohama’s.

I had the coach weighed and have the tires inflated per Yokohama's tire inflation chart. I am running 100psi on the front axle and 95psi on the rear.

Have any of you folks that have switched to Yokohama’s experienced similar issues on Southern California freeways? I’m not 100% sure the problem is the tires, but as I said, it is the only variable that has changed.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Craig,

I just finished a 10k mile trip with the Yoko's south from Ohio to Florida for the winter and west to Cali including 15 from Vegas to So Cal, then back east via 80 and 90. I spent more than a few days wrestling the wheel in high cross winds. A few days out west were gusty 30+ mph days.

I had been cursing my original equipment shocks (Monroe) after reading threads here and blaming them, however now you have me thinking. Maybe these aren't good steer tires.
tbfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbfirm View Post
Craig,

I just finished a 10k mile trip with the Yoko's south from Ohio to Florida for the winter and west to Cali including 15 from Vegas to So Cal, then back east via 80 and 90. I spent more than a few days wrestling the wheel in high cross winds. A few days out west were gusty 30+ mph days.

I had been cursing my original equipment shocks (Monroe) after reading threads here and blaming them, however now you have me thinking. Maybe these aren't good steer tires.
I have two year old Koni FSD's, so I'm pretty confident it's not the shocks. Apparently we're not the only owners with this issue. Here is another thread where an owner with a new set of Toyo's is experiencing the same issue.

I'm now thinking I should have just forked out the extra $1000 for a set of Michelin's...

Craig

Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
$461.00 each, mounted and high speed balanced from my local tire shop.
In Sept 2010 I paid just over $500 each for Michelin 275/70's. For only about $50 each I'll take the Michelins any day.
I've been RV'ing since 1957, mostly on Michelin tires and the only blowout I've ever had was a GoodYear on the Jeep.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Too much tire pressure in the front tires will cause the coach to wander also. I expierienced this situation when changing from XRV Michelins to XZE Michelins with a higher load rating a couple of years ago. Lowering the pressure to that recommended, according to weight on axle, by the manufacturer cured the problem. It is tempting to over inflate truck tires because they have such a large weight carrying capability, but if over inflated for the weight they are actually carrying, the sidewalls become too stiff, and cause drift or wandering, which requires constant streering input to correct. Anyway, just a suggestion if you haven't already tried it. Same holds true for rear axle too, run just enough air pressure to carry the maximum load you expect to carry.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Too much tire pressure in the front tires will cause the coach to wander also.......It is tempting to over inflate truck tires because they have such a large weight carrying capability.
I just rechecked my pressures against the Yokohama inflation chart. I indeed had them a little on the high side. I had the front axle at 100psi and the rear at 95. According to the chart, I can get away with 90psi at both axles, based on my scale weight. I will try the new prssures and see if they help.

Thanks.

Craig

Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Just to be clear here, my Yoko's preformed great on my recent 10k mile trip. My only real issue was high and gusty crosswinds. I have been running 105 psi in my fronts so maybe I will look at lowering my pressures also.
tbfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Another option other than Michelin, Goodyear & firestine is Continental HSL. I repalced Michelin XZA2 H-rated with the HSL H-rated for a little over $100 less per tire ...two in 07 and four in 09, and have been very pleased with the Continentals. I got them at Best One truck tire shops.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also am in SoCal and have had Yokahamas on for the last 12,000 miles and have not experienced any unusual handeling issues. I have been from California to Maine, down to Florida and back to Cailfornia. I have experienced all kinds and all speeds of wind and the handeling was no different than with the Michelins. I have the original shocks with 78,000 miles on them and no steering devices.
I will say that the roads in California are the worst in the nation.
I'm afraid that while Arnold was playing hide the banan (you get the idea) with the maid, the roads were deteriorating faster than his marriage.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #27

Exclamation New Tires

I am about to put LT215/85R-16/E1 YOK Geolandar HTS tires on my 1995 32 ft Ford F53 motorhome, does anyone know anything about Yokohama's in this size and is this a good choice for me.

ThorMirage
Thormirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #28

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Just to be clear here, my Yoko's preformed great on my recent 10k mile trip. My only real issue was high and gusty crosswinds. I have been running 105 psi in my fronts so maybe I will look at lowering my pressures also.
I have been running at 95 psi in the front and rear tires. I have noticed that most have been running with the air pressure higher in the front tires and after checking a tire chart for my tires it states 90 in the front and 80 in the rear.

Should I change my pressure to what the chart is stating or leave as is? I have not had any issues in their current state.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote