Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
You just never know...

We had just set up camp during our recent shakedown cruise, and I was standing along the road, trying to think of any chores I had overlooked.

A gentleman happened to walk by, and after brief "hellos" he slows down, and just says "nice rig". I thanked him, and we chatted for a couple minutes tops, and he was on his way.

Here I was less than a week owning our new to us MH, still giddy, but while we never had a moment of what I would call buyers remorse, you know how you still wonder if you made the best move, best deal etc that you possibly could have for you and your family...

It made an impression on me that a total stranger (well as close as you can ever come to a stranger in a campground) chose those two words at that particular time. I don't mind admitting that it did a lot for my frame of mind at the time. It kind of reinforced some of the "pros" on the pros and cons list. It made me feel pretty dog gone good.

I made up my mind then and there that I'm going to pass along a compliment whenever I see even the slightest justification for it, stranger or not. You just never know when you might just make someone's day with just the least little bit of effort.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Nice write-up.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #3

the next time ...

The next time you are in line at the supermarket and someone comes up behinds you with just a few items ... LET THEM GO AHEAD OF YOU ...

Your will be amazed at how much better you feel for doing something nice for somebody who did not expect it ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
The next time you are in line at the supermarket and someone comes up behinds you with just a few items ... LET THEM GO AHEAD OF YOU ...

Your will be amazed at how much better you feel for doing something nice for somebody who did not expect it ...
been there --------done that

two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for sharing, Dmiles
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I do that all the time and I appreciate it when people do the same thing for me.

I'm going to add another one; when someone holds the door open for you THANK THEM!! Don't just wiz on through like it's your god-given right or something. I just saw that, again, yesterday. It's one of my pet peeves.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
I made up my mind then and there that I'm going to pass along a compliment whenever I see even the slightest justification for it, stranger or not. You just never know when you might just make someone's day with just the least little bit of effort.
Thanks for your observations, I think it's something we all would like to be reminded to do.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Kashegurl Send a message via MSN to Kashegurl Send a message via Yahoo to Kashegurl Send a message via Skype™ to Kashegurl
I agree! If someone walks by me with hair or a shirt or whatever that I like, I tell them, and they almost always get this look like wow, that was made me feel good! I had a woman behind me in line at a grocery store, she had more than I did, but I was the one with the cart, and I offered to let her put her stuff in my cart because the lines were reeeeeally long. Later, as I finished paying and was getting ready to walk out of the store, she told me that it was the nicest thing she's had done for her in a long time. It felt really good to help her, although it did make me kind of sad that something that simple was so infrequent for her... Anyway, thanks for the reminder, if we all do this, over time everyone will be just a bit happier!
Kashegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Another gesture someone brought to my attention several years ago is to acknowledge people when they come into a room or pass you by. Every morning while walking the dog I give a wave to each passing car. You would be surprised the number of people who then smile and wave back.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A little sugar goes a lot farther than a lot of vinegar. Always try to speak to folks yu see out walking. Some of them look at me like I am crazy, but I have a nice life.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I wonder, sometimes, if the waiving is a "country" thing. You don't think twice about smiling & waiving to the locals (& they waive back) as you drive along a back country road but no one even bothers to look at you in your yard as they drive down your residential street (unless it's one of your neighbors &, even then, sometimes not).

The world would be a much more pleasant place if we all just passed along a smile every now & then.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There's something I've always done, but according to the servers, I'm in the minority. When I go to a restaurant and the server comes over and introduces themselves and says how are you, I always address them by name and say how are You? They are always pleasantly surprised that someone sees them as more than just a pair of hands.
tnsauerkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #13

What is the name of that song with the words "what the world needs is a front porch"? I remember sitting on the porch in the evening, and nearly everyone would say howdy and wave when they passed by. Friendlier, more laid-back times I guess.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Great post, Dmiles. Thanks for a very nice reminder of what a difference small efforts can make.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote