Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
You know I can hear every thing you say....

I am tempted to tell our neighbor.... "Do you know I can hear everything you say inside your RV".... And they are parked directly across the drive from us almost 20 yards away.

As I sit outside I thought perhaps they had windows open or something so decided to take a walk and see.

Nope... all the windows and roof vents appear to be closed. Granted there is a lot of glass in the rear living room area but his rig seems to have very little acoustic retardation from its construction materials.

None of my business but I sure would want to know if my rig was not more sound tight. Theirs is like a tent.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #2

Might be a hard of hearing issue. Until my wife got her hearing aids I'd often have to be louder than I normally am. We try to be noise conscious when we're watching a movie or something in the TT. I turn it down to "2" ("3" if the A/C is running) and even then DW sometimes thinks I have it too loud for the neighbors.

It's not just an RV thing either. We've noticed the same thing with some people when we've been anchored out on our sailboat. Closest boat is 100 feet away (or more) and you can practically take part in the conversation they're yakking so loud. The hip hop music blasting across the lake from the ski boats is even worse, though. Thankfully they mostly go ashore after the sun goes down.
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Chances are our walls in our rigs are pretty thin.....Never thought about it though.....We spend most of time outside so I guess everything we say is public.....although we don't yell.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you can easily hear what is said outside, odds are that those outside can hear you too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ok...what were they saying?
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
We have been out of our house for quite a while now and living in the 5th wheel. Camped at Base Fam Camp. Thus we get some neighbors for a day or two and some for a bit longer. I am finding things to do while enjoying retired life and sit outside a lot, observe rigs, people and so on. This particular rig I am talking about is a 50k unit and I would guess a 13 or 14 model. They were here for a week and and company from time to time and sat inside. Younger folks but it was as they were in a tent. Sitting out on my patio I could hear most conversations. I have to admit I was very surprised! I though surely they have windows open or vents and had to check it out. Everything appeared to be closed up. I decided to check out my unit a bit more and turned up sterio quite loud and did a walk around outside. Very quiet and pleased about that. I concluded that a certain new mid-range brand might be slacking on the construction materials. And a deeper appreciation for a quality built RV.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #7

We did the check too and ours is pretty quiet outside when we have the TV/stereo on. I think the sound just travels better outside, and on the MH's if you have windows/vent open it just travels. It's all that fresh air and lack of interference noise when you are outside of the City.

A few weeks ago a group of us were outside sitting and talking by the fire pit in an Oregon Campground. The youngest of us was 55 so we wern't a bunch of party people. Anyway the Ranger snuck up on us and told us we were too loud and people needed to "get up for work in the morning"...It was only 1030 pm, the sun had only been down about an hour and a half. I guess sound does travel better, we just laughed and all went to bed, it was past our bedtime anyway...haha
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote