Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have chosen South Dakota as my state of residence. I full-time. I tried to get a SD license and showed up with my official birth certificate, but because it shows my maiden name, they required my 1974 marriage license -- official variety. I divorced that #%£€ in 1977, but kept his name so my daughter and I would have the same.

Seems like discrimination to me. They blamed it on 9/11. The bank in SD had to do a background check before they would open a savings account for me, citing the same excuse. Imagine having to prove who you are before they will take money? What's next?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #16

Here in CA I just renewed online. No changes just pay the fee and they mail you the new one.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by richvkansas View Post
Why doesn't your expired license "prove" who you are? It has a picture and all that stuff. Maybe you need to give them a bonus---like a copy of your birth certificate--that would make them feel warm all over.
I had my birth certificate, voter registration card, House tax bill, water bill and 3 vehicle registrations. That was not enough for them to know who I was. They said "we need a "current" picture ID to know you are who you are".... 2 days ago it was "current" but I guess rules are rules so I'm in a catch 22.... I may have to move to Texas to get a drivers license... What have we come to?
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't get it. TSA will accept an expired drivers license as long as it's not more than 1 year expired. I let mine expire stopped by the airport before the day of my flight and TSA siad yep up to one year expired.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:16 AM   #19

I went on line to replace a lost SS card. They wanted only $39.00 to send one to me.
kencon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Transfer from California to Montana last year, requirements for license were SS card, birth certificate, utility bill, surrender of old license, and fee for new one. Wife had to provide our marriage certificate because her maiden name was on her birth certificate. I think this is a one time process, unless you let the license expire.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #21

Since you cant prove who you are, tell them your name is Pedro Juan Gonzales Martinez and see if they don't jump through hoops to get you an ID.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
Mine expired. All I had to do was go to the DMV, complete an application to renew, present my expired liscense and get my picture taken again. I took my passport but didn't need it. Easy in Texas.
When did this occur?

Texas had an accidental computer purge sometime in the last 2 years and EVERYONE has to provide, anew, their two forms of government issued ID. My wife just went through this last Friday.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #23

Florida wanted all that stuff or go on line and the licence was in my mailbox five days later.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Florida wanted all that stuff or go on line and the licence was in my mailbox five days later.
Yes it is strange in person

birth certificate or passport name matching that on driver licsense or a paper trail show name changes
ss card
2 bills that show where I live ie. a power or water bills or tax bills

OR

go online and pay the fee and they mail iit to you
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #25

Cool

I agree. This has gotten to be in such a sorry state. Mostly because some of these government workers refuse to pull their head out of their rears and use the common sense that should be a law not a rarity! Geeze I hate dealing with the government. Working on one now, my fathers death certificate came out with the wrong ssn on it! I have his ssn card his birth certificate and his drivers license. I have to send in a request form to ss office (plus fee) for documents then send a correction request with these documents (plus fee) to get the government to correct their mistake!!!!!!!!!
SHEEEEESHHHH
I am almost ready to give up.....
RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
You can only go on line once in 6 years. I did for a change of address so I can't do it again.

Texas didn't lose information, our great leaders decided to make sure you are who you are and not the terrorist they think you are and passed the "Real identity act" which 39 states now use for everything from driver licenses, SS cards, opening a bank account or getting a loan. Can you say Communism?

First, you don't legally need a SS card. Second, it's illegal for anyone to use it as identification except the SS office but that doesn't stop the government from breaking their own laws.

My 84 year old mother had to go to the DMV 4 times and wound up crying because of this BS. My wife had to spend days in the courthouse finding divorce and marriage papers to "prove" how her name changed and now I'm in this catch 22.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richvkansas

Why doesn't your expired license "prove" who you are? It has a picture and all that stuff. Maybe you need to give them a bonus---like a copy of your birth certificate--that would make them feel warm all over.
With the new options now, if you opted NOT TO HAVE you ss number on drivers lisc, EVERY TIME you renew, you need your ss number. Additionally, now that you let you lisc expire, there are extra fees to renew.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just do like we do in the "land of Blago", slip the DMV guy a twenty and you're done!
(kidding, of course, but only a little)
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote