Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #15

I agree with Gary's line of thought, that many getting their feet wet think of RV's as commodities. To add to that line of thought, 99.999% of dealership sales people promote and encourage that kind of thinking. They're expected to tell people what they want to hear, right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we started looking I had 2 objectives in mind for the class A, no slides and old enough that it had no or minimal electronics on it. We found our 87 Southwind and I am happy to say that I can do most everything on it, chassis and coach. We did have a mechanic shop do the work on the chassis for brakes, fuel system, and overall inspection which went great. Our mistake was taking it to a dealership to have the coach checked out. It is there for the 3rd time right now. Wish I had known about the repair shop we were told about that does not sell RVs, just works on them, no having to compete with sales that take priority and someone who has to take pride in their work as bad reputation would kill their business. Once this place finishes taking care of what I paid for I will never go back to them again. PM me if you are in the St Louis area and need names of 2 great shops.

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
99.999% of dealership sales people promote and encourage that kind of thinking. They're expected to tell people what they want to hear, right?
ahicks

If they "told the the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth", very few RVs would be sold.
Mel
Old 05-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I am so proud you guys work the bugs out of the new rigs and get them ready for us less fortunate guys to be able to afford them.....
..... at a huge discount off new price as well.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were shopping for new last winter. Luckily we came to our senses and found a low mileage used rig that was under half the cost of what we were looking at new. Its better quality inside than anything new we looked at.

From reading the different forums I can't believe the reoccurring problems some are having with brand new rigs. If I spent that much and was not able to use it for months on end I'd be calling my lawyer and sending the lemon back. After seeing the low quality of new and the price they want you have to have money to throw away to even consider being a first owner now. Even then that does not seem to guarantee you will have a working rig.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If they "told the the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth", very few RVs would be sold.
Heck, few of the sales people even know the truth. Only a few own RVs or have even spent more than an afternoon in one (working at an RV show, typically). They hear things from customers and other sales people, who have all kinds of mistaken notions, and get tips from shop techs whose advice is as good as the skill and experience they demonstrate when fixing your RV.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The thing I resented most was going back two or three times to get one job done. I did not expect perfection, nor was I naïve about the complexity of the MH but once found I did want the problem fixed right most of the time. My "home" dealer just could not make it happen. However I will say they accommodated me with other dealerships and paid the cost when I was under warranty so eventually things were made right; and they went out of business.

If you find a reliable repair person stay with them and develop a relationship. If you find a reliable repair place that is reasonable on price offer to send their kids to college, buy them a home, fund their retirement. It will be cheaper.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The thing I see on this forum day after day, is how acceptable some people believe it is to DRIVE TO THE MANUFACTURER to get their RV repaired. "Just take it to Indiana (or wherever)!" they exclaim, like it is a walk in the park to drive thousands of miles, wasting money on fuel not to mention the time involved. When did THAT become a viable "solution", and why are so many willing to do it??

Forums such as this one are at long last providing RVers with a VOICE, and I hope the manufacturers are listening.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
The thing I see on this forum day after day, is how acceptable some people believe it is to DRIVE TO THE MANUFACTURER to get their RV repaired. "Just take it to Indiana (or wherever)!" they exclaim, like it is a walk in the park to drive thousands of miles, wasting money on fuel not to mention the time involved. When did THAT become a viable "solution", and why are so many willing to do it??.
Well some people may not be thousands of miles away from the manufacturer. Others may be going cross country anyway and decide to take the detour to the manufacturer. (I have seen this mentioned often).

A lot of people pay a six digit figure for a rig, if it has a serious issue they wanted it corrected. If their local dealer or repair shops are unable to make the fix then what do you suggest people do? To me it seems the only viable option left is to go directly to the manufacturer and seek correction.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #24

IMHO, people often make that "ultimate" pilgrimage to the manf. out of pure frustration, AND, most of the factory repair facilities have a pretty good reputation for getting repairs right the first time? There's a certain amount of logic behind taking it back to the people that built it as well.

If it were me, I'm not working out of my coach. I'm wandering, pretty much aimlessly, all over the country anyway. Wouldn't take too much of a problem to point me in the direction I need to go to get something major done? Kills 2 birds with one stone. Get's something done, and temporarily satisfies my wanderlust?
Old 05-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
Well some people may not be thousands of miles away from the manufacturer. Others may be going cross country anyway and decide to take the detour to the manufacturer. (I have seen this mentioned often).

A lot of people pay a six digit figure for a rig, if it has a serious issue they wanted it corrected. If their local dealer or repair shops are unable to make the fix then what do you suggest people do? To me it seems the only viable option left is to go directly to the manufacturer and seek correction.
My point is that some people believe this is an acceptable common practice. The more I spend, the greater my expectation of perfection. Personally, I don't want to interrupt my cross-country travels to "detour to the manufacturer", and I can't believe that others are happy to do so either. Many of us have time and/or money constraints and have to be at work to pay for the privilege of RVing.

I understand that when one is at the end of their rope with a situation, they will take whatever means necessary to get the job done. I just think RV manufacturers should have a higher priority interest in doing it right the first time.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #26

Quote:
My point is that some people believe this is an acceptable common practice. The more I spend, the greater my expectation of perfection. Personally, I don't want to interrupt my cross-country travels to "detour to the manufacturer", and I can't believe that others are happy to do so either. Many of us have time and/or money constraints and have to be at work to pay for the privilege of RVing.

I understand that when one is at the end of their rope with a situation, they will take whatever means necessary to get the job done. I just think RV manufacturers should have a higher priority interest in doing it right the first time.

I have an overhead bunk in my rig. The mechanism keeps slipping, we have had it looked at numerous times and so far no one has been able to properly correct it. I do not feel I am "striving for perfection" by seeking to get this fixed; I do not want to be driving down the road and have it fall on my head. I have already had one close call two weeks ago:

Am I "happy" to potentially have to go to Indiana to get this fixed if it starts slipping again - not particularly, but it is not the end of the world either. It is a safety issue that keeps reappearing. I have a job, kids in school and sometimes money constraints. I also have an RV in my driveway that has an issue that must be fixed. You find the time and you find the money in situations - it too is part of "paying for the privilege of RVing."

Yes, manufacturers should get it right the first time, but they don't and you have been around here long enough to know that. So tell me what should people do when they don't get it right? You say going back to to the manufacturer is not a "viable solution"…well give me one that is viable. Me and my bunk will be waiting.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #27

Quote:

SarahW
I agree!

However, although not acceptable, it is common practice.
There is nothing we can do about it, (except stop buying RVs)!
"Quality" and "RV" simply do not go hand in hand.
Unfortunately, many of us didn't learn that until we were "in way over our heads".

There are a few things I know for certain about RV ownership.
One is if you can't/don't fix defects yourself, you will spend a lot of time, OR a lot of $$, (and/or both), waiting to have, AND having, defects fixed!
That is true if you buy a new, (or a used), RV...AND no matter how much, (or how little), you initially paid.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Old 05-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
Me and my bunk will be waiting.
Well, you and your bunk can keep on waiting; I'm done with this conversation. Good luck and I hope they get it fixed for you.