Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
SarahW
I agree!

However, although not acceptable, it is common practice.
There is nothing we can do about it, (except stop buying RVs)!
"Quality" and "RV" simply do not go hand in hand.
Unfortunately, many of us didn't learn that until we were "in way over our heads".

There are a few things I know for certain about RV ownership.
One is if you can't/don't fix defects yourself, you will spend a lot of time, OR a lot of $$, (and/or both), waiting to have, AND having, defects fixed!
That is true if you buy a new, (or a used), RV...AND no matter how much, (or how little), you initially paid.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
You are so right, Mel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Well, you and your bunk can keep on waiting; I'm done with this conversation. Good luck and I hope they get it fixed for you.
Yes, I figured as much. And thank you.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Well, you and your bunk can keep on waiting; I'm done with this conversation. Good luck and I hope they get it fixed for you.
YIPES This smacks of "we're losing the game and it's my ball and I'm going home!"
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #32

I hear ya! I think most people, including me at first, don't realized what they are getting into. We've been lucky enough to be able to fix everything on our own...well, for the exception of an inverter that was never installed. Forest River quickly sent us one though.

I have finally excepted that things in an RV will break more frequently than in any other vehicle or house and hope to be prepared for most issues. DW, on the other hand, cannot understand why something so expensive has so many issues. Whenever something has an issue, I don't say a thing and fix it myself.

The one thing I couldn't keep from her was/is the extra expense in handling upgrades. She does the books and will catch me red handed.

Come to think of it, why do a lot of these MHs have such poor handling right of the lot. You'd think that manufacturers would include a "handling package" such as a rear axle bar, better sway bars, and something like TruCenter or SteerSafe. This will avoid frustrated customers with white knuckle experiences trying to find what to do with their new expensive toy that can't be enjoyed. This, of course, would be for the gassers since they are the ones suffering from poor handling.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The biggest problem is, these things cost a small fortune. A starter is 75-100k new.
That is half the price of a new home. Its a lot of money, and people expect a lot. Not many understand the complexity of these things.
Even if you try and save money by buying one a few years old, you still have to spend a good chunk to get it, and another bunch to make it up to your standards.
Very few think about what they are getting themselves into.
If you want few problems, keep it simple, buy a TT or 5ver.
I bought the 11 year old RV. I'm prepared to spend what's necessary to keep it running, and my disappointment factor will be low.

I'm just like all of you though. If I bought a new class A and paid 100-500k, I'd be livid if I had to bring it in for multiple problems.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quality

I am not at all surprised by the complaints in this thread.

We spent a lot of money and in many cases got junk, I am sure the builders would like to see less complaints but let's face it our society is a use it and throw it away one.

And the poorly trained People (With exception) that do the work to build these units seldom even Know what quality workmanship is, as they install the low quality components they are given.

I have walked through $100,000 dollar plus units I wouldn't pay ten bucks for due to the low Quality components. all covered up with glit and glitter.

The RV Industry isn't the only one with this problem.

My unit has had more so called repairs that were well overpaid for by my warranty than I paid for the unit. And I now try to do as much as I can on my own. because the quality of much of the work accomplished by dealers and such caused as many problems as were supposed to be fixed.

As a RV owner we are getting the short slippery end of the stick, buyer beware for all the good it will do you!

Maybe, just Maybe, the M.H. MANUF. will see this thread and take heed just as the auto industry had to. To prevent another country from dominating the industry.

Have you ever thought how a American owned company will fail only to be replaced by a foreign company that does better??????

I like my unit, but I will do my own repairs and upgrades hoping to never have to rely on the RV industry again (GOOD LUCK)
donnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
I am not at all surprised by the complaints in this thread.
We spent a lot of money and in many cases got junk
And the poorly trained People that do the work to build these units seldom even Know what quality workmanship is,
low Quality components. all covered up with glit and glitter.
My unit has had more so called repairs that were well overpaid for by my warranty than I paid for the unit. And I now try to do as much as I can on my own. because the quality of much of the work accomplished by dealers and such caused as many problems as were supposed to be fixed.
As a RV owner we are getting the short slippery end of the stick
The reason RV manufactures charge high bucks for poor quality RVs, (aka: junk), is because they CAN.

IMO, the only thing that will stop the madness is if everyone refuses to be taken, (which, BTW, is what happened to the U.S. auto industry).

However, I don't think it will ever happen in the RV industry because, (as PT Barnum said): "The bigger the humbug, the better people will like it"....BTW, he may also have said: "There's a sucker born every minute".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #36

[QUOTE=al2ride;2067088
Come to think of it, why do a lot of these MHs have such poor handling right of the lot. You'd think that manufacturers would include a "handling package" such as a rear axle bar, better sway bars, and something like TruCenter or SteerSafe. This will avoid frustrated customers with white knuckle experiences trying to find what to do with their new expensive toy that can't be enjoyed. This, of course, would be for the gassers since they are the ones suffering from poor handling.[/QUOTE]

Quite simply because the vast majority of the Ford F-53 Gas coaches offered now do not need any of this 'stuff'. They just need the sway bars adjusted for the correct loading the coach builder has placed on the chassis and an alignment. Check out the CHF thread. Get the sway bars set correctly, an alignment and try driving. The 'as Ford built it' suspension works fine for the design loads and driving conditions. Its the coach builders that are not setting up the chassis correctly.

Our 2008 Damon on an F-53 chassis handles fine at 33k miles. Well it does since we did the adjustments that Damon did not back when we got it.. But did not need any track bars, steering stablizers or different sway bars like our previous P-30 chassis Bounder did. Even the Ford supplied Bilstein shocks are pretty darn good for OEM.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gary,

Well said. I hope the O.P.'s issues at least slow down over time so they can catch up on the fun they've been missing.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote