Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #1

You/we are on our own.

DW and I bought a brand new FW DP last summer, 2013. We have had issue after issue. Just about have everything sorted out. One more trip to fix the turn signal lever before it goes out of 1 year warranty.

If I didn't know better I would think that there is a conspiracy in the RV industry that no one really wants to take resonsibility for problems. Many of you know the drill. You checked everything out, took the test drive, noted a few problems and made a check list. The dealer works on and fixes these problems.

Then you take your new motor mansion home and go on a trip. You are so proud, and then, ..... and then there are niggling broken this's and out of date that's. The coach manufacturer can't fix the tire problem or the chassis manufacturer can't fix the generator problem, or the engine manufacturer doesn't know what fuel filter you should use because, well, that is the responsibility of chassis manufacturer.

And then, every problem takes two trips to fix. "Yep, the fuel pump on the generator is a dud and we'll have to order one." And on and on....

Fortunately I am pretty handy, maybe not handsome, but handy. And, I have this wonderful forum for reference and encouragement. I am truly thankful for that.

We are now organizing our bills that we had to pay for and the fuel we burned running back and forth. I think we will even attempt to collect wages that were lost in the waiting areas of the various shops we sat in. The total is significant.

Thanks for reading.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #2

Oh I hear you. Week before last we were at the dealer to get a laundry list of warranty items repaired. The dealer is 700 miles away so it was imperative that we did this all in one shot. Got all the items taken care of, start the two day drive home, and on day two a couple more things break.

Thankfully they are nothing major and at this point I think DH and I should just take care of them ourselves rather than waste the time and gas money to return to the dealer….but it is irksome none the less! We are in warranty until mid-August. We have two large trips planned before that. I hope anything else that decides to break or give up the ghost does so before the warranty period ends!

Old 05-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
DW and I bought a brand new FW DP last summer, 2013. We have had issue after issue. Just about have everything sorted out. One more trip to fix the turn signal lever before it goes out of 1 year warranty.

If I didn't know better I would think that there is a conspiracy in the RV industry that no one really wants to take resonsibility for problems. Many of you know the drill. You checked everything out, took the test drive, noted a few problems and made a check list. The dealer works on and fixes these problems.

Then you take your new motor mansion home and go on a trip. You are so proud, and then, ..... and then there are niggling broken this's and out of date that's. The coach manufacturer can't fix the tire problem or the chassis manufacturer can't fix the generator problem, or the engine manufacturer doesn't know what fuel filter you should use because, well, that is the responsibility of chassis manufacturer.

And then, every problem takes two, some times three, trips to fix. "Yep, the fuel pump on the generator is a dud and we'll have to order one." And on and on....

Fortunately I am pretty handy, maybe not handsome, but handy. And, I have this wonderful forum for reference and encouragement. I am truly thankful for that.

We are now organizing our bills that we had to pay and the fuel we burned running back and forth. I think we will even attempt to collect wages that were lost in the waiting areas of the various shops we sat in. The total is significant.

I feel that the recalls, updates, etc. should be sorted out before the rv is even turned over to the dealer.

Thanks for reading.
know your pain!! We are 120 mi from the closest dealer. I fixed most problems myself, even warranty stuff. It was a lot less than the fuel to get it to the dealer and back. We have been to the dealer twice in 8 years of ownership.

Wishing you many miles of care free traveling!!

H.B.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
DW and I bought a brand new FW DP last summer, 2013. We have had issue after issue.
dvmweb
If you think you have problems now, wait until your coach Is 18 years old, with 130+ miles, and the original manufacturer has been sold to 3 other companies over 12 of those years!
IMO your "fun" has just begun.
Mel
'96 Safari, (mine since '01)
Old 05-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think we are accustomed to thinking of our RVs like our cars - built as a homogenous product by a vertically integrated company. Maybe they contract with other companies to make parts for them, but every part is still their part, for their product. RVs, especially motorhomes, are more like a house brought together by a general contractor. The general contractor arranged to obtain the parts and got the subcontractors to install them, but takes no responsibility except for the task of getting it assembled and delivered. A vast difference in practice, and fraught with the opportunity for evasion and finger-pointing, with the buyer left seething with frustration.

Added to that, our RVs are hand crafted to an ever changing template. Seldom are any two identical, even if the same year/model and floor plan. The design is continually evolving and the production crew works on numerous models and layouts in the course of a day and completing only a few per day. Not at all cookie-cutter replication like a car factory producing another new car every minute.

And then there is the dealer network, which again in nothing like a car dealer net. The manufacturer has no financial lever to force the dealer to high standards of training or skill. Just the opposite - the dealer threatens to stop selling the RV manufacturers products if they get too uppity. Furthermore, RV repair is seasonal work, so the best employees either go into other lines of work that provide year around income, or migrate as the seasons change. And shops seldom have enough techs for seasonal peaks.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, we are "on our own," and unfortunately many first-time RVers don't understand the maintenance and upkeep required by modern RVs. A person must either have mechanical aptitude and a knowledge of RV systems plus the physical ability to take care of things, or a fat wallet to pay someone else to do it. Newbies should be thinking beyond "which brand is the best" and "gas or diesel", and put some thought into the reality of ownership...and whether they are mentally, physically, and financially able to handle it.

That said, we wouldn't trade it for anything.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We ordered our FW and had numerous problems from the start. We nicknamed our FW, "Haus," short for Horse, and nicknamed the dealership, "The Barn." Sure seemed like Haus liked the Barn as he spent a lot of the first year there.

Anyway, we felt the MH spent more time in or waiting to go in for repairs than should be considered normal. We contacted Fleet Wood and expressed our feelings.. They advised us to send them all of our maint. records as well as the time waiting for repairs. They reviewed it and extended our one year warranty an additional three months.

Actually, I can say Fleetwood products and production problems were minimal, as our major issues were with aftermarket items, A&E awnings, Atwood Jacks, Dometic stuff, WH chassis springs, Kingdome antenna, etc, etc.

It all worked out OK as now Haus likes the trails better than the Barn. We'll have to see after he gets a few more years on him. If he's thinking about that Green Pasture Retirement, he's got a big surprise coming.

We've considered buying another new unit but that first years maint issues have kinda soured us on that. Also with Work Horse gone, we will likely go DP's. I would definitely have no problem buying another FW.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your best bet when owning an Rv is to find a repair shop instead of a dealer. Their business depends on reputation most of the time. A good mobile tech is also a good idea. Remember, it's no if it will break, but when it will. They always do.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #9

I am so proud you guys work the bugs out of the new rigs and get them ready for us less fortunate guys to be able to afford them.....
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Five days of our recent 10 day trip involved getting/waiting for repairs/maintenance. It was unusual - a water leak in the refrigerator line, and the hot water heater decided not to work, thanks to Atwood's inclusion of a mixer valve at the tank, and Fleetwood placing the tank behind the washer/dryer, made it all very time consuming (read: expensive). That all done, however, we're looking forward to a bunch more trips this year....
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
dvmweb
If you think you have problems now, wait until your coach Is 18 years old, with 130+ miles, and the original manufacturer has been sold to 3 other companies over 12 of those years!
IMO your "fun" has just begun.
Mel
'96 Safari, (mine since '01)
Ditto! X 2!

Having said that, we walked into a brand new Fleetwood with the salesman. I'm not a small guy, and I leaned on the handrail a bit walking up the stairs. The handrail came off in my hand. I handed it to the salesman, who said that the manufacturer leaves many things for the new owners to find wrong so that the dealership will have some work to do.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Bring it back!

I know, it really gets to me when the service mgr. says "we have to order another part to be able to fix the problem." The part will take a week to get it here, so we make another appointment. The dealership acts as though we live next door to them, and not 240 miles round trip. Not a big deal?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I am so proud you guys work the bugs out of the new rigs and get them ready for us less fortunate guys to be able to afford them.....
X2
Old 05-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #14

I have come to the conclusion that, if you want to own an RV you either have to be incredibly wealthy or willing to repair the myriad of problems likely to occur by yourself. I considered buying a motorhome but came to the realization that, even though I am fairly competent at working on my diesel truck and the 5th wheel is sorta like a house as far as repairs and maintenance goes, a MH would require tools, skills and knowledge that's way beyond my expertise and physical abilities. Driving hundreds of miles and spending thousands of dollars on maintenance and repairs, even warranty covered work, is way out of my budget range. Maybe if I win the lottery.........

road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote