Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield's Avatar

Young relief driver

We just got back from a 5,000 mile journey from California to Wisconsin and back.

A week before we started, I put my 18 year old behind the wheel and took him on a training run that included city driving, narrow two-lane country driving, and finally interstate highway driving.

I let him drive for a few hours each day of our trip. He did a great job, and my confidence in him grew by the minute.

On the trip home, I got very ill and could not drive. He drove back to Central California from Amarillo, Texas. He maneuvered beautifully through traffic, construction zones, unfavorable weather, and even a major two-vehicle accident that happened directly in his path. Drivers behind him complimented him on making it through the mess without a scratch.

My wife is a very competent person in almost anything she does. However, I can tell that she just isn't comfortable behind the wheel of the coach which is why I got my son behind the wheel. He seems to be a natural at it.

I just wanted to brag. It was a pretty good trip!

2016 Thor Tuscany 40GQ
Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations to your son. He did very well and is to be complimented.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Paul - Congrats to you and your wife too because a great son does not just 'happen'!

But you may have created a monster. Next, with all this confidence, he may want to do his own road trip in the MH with his buddies!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Brag away Dad That would be an accomplishment for any of us, much less an 18 year old driver! You have to be very proud that he obviously is so smart that he can pick up the brief training and drive better than some old hats!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good call. And it's a confidence builder for him.

My dad started me early too. Fire trucks and ambulances by age 19. Confident to drive anything now. Just wish the captain of the Ruby Princess, our next cruise, would let me at the throttles.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #6

Better get ready to hear, Dad, can I borrow the rv for the weekend? You know I'm a good driver you said so yourself.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #7

If we can make our children go to war at 18, we can at least have them drive an RV. Young people are capable of anything they need to do. Our future is in their hands. God Bless them all. Brag Away Dad.
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
I'm 21 now, I got my learners permit to drive at 14 and 9 months, learned to drive in a mini van and my grandpas truck. I pulled trailers with both, mainly the van. Before I could start driving, I'd go places on the lawn mower, and have a trailer behind me. When I turned 16 I took one of the mini vans we had, and took my uncles pop up camper and a friend and had my grandma check us into the campground, and we camped. I do lawn mowing, I pulled the mower with the van.
The summer I graduated high school, I got a job working for my neighbor in a warehouse, and learned to drive a fork lift, and a 26' box straight truck (freightliner) I have my Chauffers license, I can drive anything up to 26,000 lb. GVWR.
I was told, "you can't take the truck threw there, it won't fit" Boy did I prove them wrong.
I have never crashed.
I bought my TT last year. I can back thing up like it's nobodys business. My neighbors are jealous, 1 of the jealous ones is a semi truck driver.
I learned to drive boats in 6th grade. I have done all shapes and sizes.
So you can say, being 21 I am confident on driving anything I get behind the wheel of.
It's good to learn young to apply those skills as you move on in the rest of your life.
Take my brother, he's 19, he can hardly drive his own car let alone a car with a trailer, I've ridden with him pulling a trailer...it's SCARY!!

I've driven 900 miles non stop from 1pm-3pm, from Michigan down to almost florida, till I had to switch drivers because I was so tired.
But I love driving, I'll drive anything anywhere.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #9

He did very well. I would never allow my daughter to drive our RV as it takes much more concentration and attention than driving a car. She is 41 years old.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Women are usually not as good as drivers as men.....I better run I think. lol
Old 09-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #11

Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Paul - Congrats to you and your wife too because a great son does not just 'happen'!

But you may have created a monster. Next, with all this confidence, he may want to do his own road trip in the MH with his buddies!

I've thought of that. He's starting college next week and I can just hear the begging start for the big holidays like Easter break!

Probably not going to happen, but . . . .

2016 Thor Tuscany 40GQ
Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTblc View Post
Women are usually not as good as drivers as men.....I better run I think. lol
Our daughter (23) will get our Class C when we move out of it. She drove it a little this spring from TX to NM. Since the trip took a few days, I had her drive the first day only about 3 hours. She was surprised at how tired she got. The next two days she drove longer. The two of us took turns driving when the other got tired. Prior to this she had only driven her Jeep Grand Cherokee and had towed the food cart as well. Never had she driven something as large and heavy as the Class C... and we were towing my Jeep Grand Cherokee as well. I had her driving on the interstate (where she started on... light traffic and nice wide lanes to wander on if it occurred), then we left the interstate for primary & secondary roads (two lanes with semi-truck traffic and lots of small towns to pass thru). She did real well. We now know that she can drive the RV, get it stopped and maneuver thru a crowded parking lot.

I often post that the wives need to learn to drive the RV's, but if you are traveling with your children, it would be a good idea if they also knew how to drive as well. I know the trip back up from TX was alot easier on me because my daughter could share in the driving. She also enjoyed driving such a large vehicle once she got used to the size. After driving it, she understood what I meant by it was like dancing with an elephant... you have to make your stops/turns slowly and carefully. BTW, my daughter is 4ft 11 inches and weighs 95 lbs (she had to have a pillow stuck behind her back to prop her forward enough to hit the gas/brake pedals). If she can drive an RV, then anyone can. When the RV is her's, we will fix the seat to where it will adjust forward enough for her.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
My mom likes to drive my truck because it's bigger than she's used to, she can whip it around in a parking lot like nobody's business, I wouldn't let her drive my truck with my camper, my dad I would because he's a truck driver, but I don't let him drive my truck.
It's actually an advantage to grow up around people who gives you an opportunity to get to learn how to do different things, such as pull a trailer, drive a tractor, welding, changing a tire, using a snow blower. I had this opportunity, my brother and sister, they have no idea how to do anything. I was fortunate. I'm glad I was, I wish more people would have opportunities like I did
Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Good Times for you and your son... which he will always remember.
We have a "saying" in the South which very aptly expresses how your son was able to rise to the occasion... "The acorn does not fall far from the tree."
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote