Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

Your favorite RV washing implements

Did a search on washing RV's and see lots about soaps, waxes, and pressure washes, but not much about brushes or other devices for reaching all the areas you can't reach by hand.

Certainly lots of products out there and this newbie is interested in your experiences. Flow through brushes, flow through with soap dispensers, plain brushes, sponge types, etc. What works for you?

thanks
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #2

Extendable handle brushes are necessary to wash a tall vehicle. However, flow through brushes are designed specifically to have the water run down your arm when you reach up...I use one, but never connect the hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogsarg View Post
Did a search on washing RV's and see lots about soaps, waxes, and pressure washes, but not much about brushes or other devices for reaching all the areas you can't reach by hand.

Certainly lots of products out there and this newbie is interested in your experiences. Flow through brushes, flow through with soap dispensers, plain brushes, sponge types, etc. What works for you?

thanks
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #3

My favorite way to clean the MH is to get someone else to do it. However, my children are not real helpful in that regard.
Next best bet is the extended handle soft cloth and seperate squeege from Smart and Final. Extends my reach by 10ft when fully extended.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #4

I just use a ladder sponge, bucket of water only and elbow grease
dry by hand then use car wax by hand hard but looks great when
done and self satisfaction when all done.
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Elbow grease!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #6

Mine is watching the guys at the truck wash do it for me. The only thing that would be better is if I could have a cold beer in hand while they work hard to keep me happy.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
A fellow RV friend of mine has a thingy called a "California Mop". He demonstrated the thing on our coaches. The coaches had a coating (film?) of dirt on the outside. He took the California Mop and rubbed it over the dirt and the dirt came right off. The coach looked like it had just been washed. My friend bought his at a RV rally. I went to camping world and to a couple RV dealers and had no success in finding one. Untill......... I went to an auto parts store. I bought one and tried it on my Jeep with dirt and road salt on it. The thing worked but it took a bit of an effort. I think it was because the dirt and road salt was pretty heavy. It really did a great job on our coaches which did not have a real heavy concentration of dirt. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CCC0/62443.oap?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a extended pole with a brush on it. It's not a water feed-thru brush though. I use this on the entire coach. I have a wash mit that I use on the wheel covers and a scrub brush for the tires. Obviously a water hose for spray down and rinse. My choice of soap is Blue Coral Wash and Wax. I've always used NuFinish for Polish but have used Mothers Syn wax also and really like that product.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #9

My manufacturer recommends as follows:

1. Do not use a brush on any clear coat or full paint finish. Use a lambswool head on an extension pole. Brushes can scratch the clear coat.

2. Use baby shampoo. Yes, that is what Newmar specifically recommends. 1 oz per 5 gal. I use about 2 oz.

3. I bought a lambswool head and pole and water blade from Swobbit System. Google them. But, you can usually find their products at Camping World. I did not spend the money for a "complete system".

4. Do not use dishwashing detergent.

5. Send me a message and I will give you my address so you can try out your new washing tools on my MH.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
My manufacturer recommends as follows:

1. Do not use a brush on any clear coat or full paint finish. Use a lambswool head on an extension pole. Brushes can scratch the clear coat.

2. Use baby shampoo. Yes, that is what Newmar specifically recommends. 1 oz per 5 gal. I use about 2 oz.

3. I bought a lambswool head and pole and water blade from Swobbit System. Google them. But, you can usually find their products at Camping World. I did not spend the money for a "complete system".

4. Do not use dishwashing detergent.

5. Send me a message and I will give you my address so you can try out your new washing tools on my MH.

Don
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife does a great job. sets me up a chair, cold beer and she does a fine job.
Do you know why Brides White? Cause a good appliances come in WHITE!
By the way I'll get out of the hospital in a month.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #12

Beware of flow through extension poles with plastic parts, especially where the head threads on.
Push too hard and your new toy is now useless.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use Mequiar's Gold Class soap, lambs wool pad on an extension pole, rinse with CR SPOTLESS De-ionized Water Filtration System and let it air dry spot free.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
Mine is watching the guys at the truck wash do it for me. The only thing that would be better is if I could have a cold beer in hand while they work hard to keep me happy.
Blue Beacon Truck Wash for me then run down the interstate at 65 mph to dry it off. Unfortunately have to clean windows but, such is life.... I never drank a beer there, but don't think they would stop you!!

2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote