Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 06:46 AM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Speed in this context has multiple meansings
Driving the car I often go 70
Driving the motor home, with exceptions, I keep it to 55-60. the exception is down hill or a serious tail wind.. It will climb a bit.
I often get passed by folks who are in the devil's own hurry to get where they are going.. I'm in no hurry.. You see I know I'm going to my funeral and frankly I'm in NO HURRY.. They are going to their funeral. .I just hope if they arrive by car they arrive alone. for it not good when they take out another car in the process.

THe other Speed has to do with Itenary..

Like many I used to get 2 weeks every year and often tried to cram 3 weeks of "Stuff" into a 2 week slot.. Well finally I got enough senority I got 3 weeks, and found that if I try to cram a 2 week vacation into a 3 Week time slot.. WAY WAY WAY more relaxing. We had time to "Stop and smell the roses" at a few spots we had not planned on.

And the RV life is all about stopping to smell the roses.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh, now days I cram a 52 week vacation into a year long time slot... Not only did i Re-Tire my car. but I'm retired too.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #31

just wonderful reading how people roll thru their travels.

yes the 'speed' was mentioned for a joke as many would hit the post and think how fast is one driving

but it is all about how you speed thru life and what you cram into your days!

I really think my age has changed that a lot. Younger we would go 'FULL' speed , but now the old 'stop and smell the roses' is coming to have a real meaning the older we get
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:14 AM   #32

Well when we were younger with kids at home we had a truck camper. I also used the truck as my daily driver and always used it with a canopy on it. Every time we wanted to use the camper the canopy had to come off, remove all the equipment I used for work, load the camper in the back of the truck, tie it down and fill the water tank. And then once the trip was finished, undo every thing and put it back the way it was. Once we were at our vacation spot there were all these things that we must do and see. Then there was the drive to and from the vacation spot and the goal was to try to get there as quick as possible. When I returned home I truly needed a vacation.
We now have a class A and are about to sell the house and go full time. We spent 6 months down south a year ago and just loved the slow pace. Spend the day at the beach and just watch the waves, do some sightseeing, can’t beat the lifestyle. Sure beats working.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
We go to Florida for 10 weeks starting New Years day and have done that for the past 12 years. We stay at State Parks and move every 2 weeks and have done most of the tourist things. Camping in Florida is vey relaxing for us and now the big things are going to the library (always good used books at FL libraries) and a trip to Publix. The hardest thing about doing nothing is never knowing when you are done. We ride our bikes and walk the dog, read, nap talk to our neighbors or the hosts. If we have TV reception we watch PBS or some of the old, old shows -ie METV etc.
After our return we may go to Europe or South America or on a cruise and that is when we are up and at 'em and on the go. Much easier to be the tourist when all the meals are prepared/available and there are no chores outside of laundry.
We drive our camper at 60 and if we take a trip to visit relative we drive 65-70. Life is good
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #34

I'm tortoise slow these days. I spent most of my younger years going at a dead run all the time and I don't care to do that anymore.

I just got home a few hours ago from a 4 1/2 day local camping trip to Bidwell Point CG on lake Norfork. I'm extremely lucky that there are several very nice camp grounds within an hours drive of my front door.

I started each morning with coffee under the awning and meandered down to the lake with a fly rod a couple of times, Caught up on my reading and puttered around the camp site under the constant supervision of Big dog. Very quiet with maybe 8 or 10 other campers in the whole place.

In the evening there was always a ball game on the radio by fire light.

I enjoyed the trip immensely!