Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 04:22 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yukon Walmart to ban overnight parking

https://www.yukon-news.com/business/...is-summer/amp/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #2

If the 'campers' are leaving a mess and/or causing parking issues then as usual it's the bad behavior of a few that will spoil it for everyone else.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
https://www.yukon-news.com/opinion/wyatts-world-99/amp/
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:34 AM   #4
IC2

There is a video on You Tube about the so-called campers there and at a lot in Alaska. These lots are virtually filled with squatters who claim they are simply 'camping' for a day or so. Except that day or so becomes the entire summer season. An those RVs - many would be better off in a salvage yard.

What has happened is that these, and I hate to say it, undesireable squatters make it tough to even shop at Walmart and have spoiled it for those that just want an overnight stay while enroute.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

Well it's too bad, I guess but I wish the 2 Wal-Marts in my county would do the same thing. The Wal-Mart that my wife and I shop at is 7 minutes from my house. It's right next to Hwy. 101 so I drive by it daily. Frankly I'm embarrassed with the amount of RV'S that use Wal-Mart as a campground. Some obviously are living in their RV'S while others are legit RV'ers but even the RV's that are legit travelers stay 2 or 3 nights, even though one exit north is very nice campground. Wal-Mart started opening up their parking lot's to people like us that are traveling down the HWY. and need a safe place to pull over and get a FEW hours sleep and then get back on the road. But now nobody thinks twice about staying at a wal-mart for day's on end. These are the people that are ruining it. Theirs a thread right now in the "Boondocking page, a person who admits to staying for days because their was no campground close to her event. Sorry but lot's of people are abusing Wal-Marts kindness. It's only a matter of time and they will all be banned.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #6

It would be nice if WalMart could somehow limit folks to a single night while in transit. I know that's not the business that WalMart is in but it would help limit some of the parking lot squatters. Like weredoingit indicates, some of these WM lots look like trash dumps and haunts for derelict RV's. Throw in the truckers dumping their urine in the lot and it just gets worse.

I also love it when folks justify their stay in a WM lot by saying they buy xx$ worth of stuff in the store. Like getting the stuff for xx$ is not enough to justify the expense so they are entitled to a free nights stay too.

Communities banning overnight parking is also a mixed bag for the community unless they can come up with an alternate way to accommodate those RV'ers. If they don't, then the RV'ers will be forced to move on down the road and take their dollars elsewhere. That could have a significant economic impact on some communities.

I suspect you will see a decrease in RV sales somewhere in the future due to the problems associated with finding an available space to park while travelling. Some folks will simple decide to stay home instead of dealing with the growing parking problem and increased costs of RV parks.

The increased number of RV's being sold and the limited parking for all those new RV's is creating a whole new set of problems for RV'ers and those who serve them. Additionally, the high number of first time RV'ers is changing the landscape a lot too. Things will eventually settle down. Every time I look at the RV sales sites I see a good many low mileage recent vintage RV's for sale. I see that as an indicator of folks buying RV's and then finding it's not exactly like the GoRving ads lead you to believe.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #7

Maybe Walmart should start a 10 year old rule?

[emoji3]
Old 07-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Maybe Walmart should start a 10 year old rule?

[emoji3]
Sounds to me like they're going to start an any year old rule.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

Walmart has done pretty good managing their business. But, I prefer the one that has the shade trees, grass and picnic tables.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #10

There is a small town nearby me that has full hookups for camping in an open field next to their poopy plant. Now if every town could accommodate us with the same respect that we have evidently earned.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
GBB

Our local Fred Meyers allows overnight campers, i dont know what the time limit is, but it gets abused. Ive seen the same ones for days on end. It gets so packed theres no parking for locals to shop. What gets me is you'll see half millon dollar motorhomes parked there. Someone drives 5000 miles to park in a parking lot? Now thats a real Alaskan experience.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #12

I am sorry to hear this because staying at the Whitehorse Walmart one night each way was part of the Alaska Highway “experience” for us last summer. It had nothing to do with “free.” We resupplied at the Walmart both directions, bought four new trailer tires at a local tire shop and also spent money in the nearby Canadian Tire store. All in all we probably dropped around $1,000 in Whitehorse that we might not have had we not been allowed (with store permission) to overnight there. I don’t like to unhook the trailer for one night stops, so if we had stayed in a regular campground I would probably not have unhooked the trailer to run in to shop.
But I can appreciate Walmart’s concern because we saw at least two seemingly derelict trailers sitting in their parking lot on our way north and they were still sitting there several weeks later. I understand the easiest thing for Walmart to do is to just ban all overnight rather than policing those multi-night/weeks squatters, but I do think doing so would have a negative financial impact. We have never and will never overnight more than one night at any Walmart and we always follow the golden rule of camping to leave a place better/cleaner than we found it even though we are parking, not camping at Walmart.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #13

Slow news day for the local paper.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and there was no trash and parking and behaviour was quite orderly.
The "culprits" are the local RV parks that have been lodging complaints - as set out on a notice board tied to a lamp post in the middle of the RV parking area.

The manager came around and those who had already spent a night were given their marching orders and anyone not in their RV at the time came back to a "go or get towed" notice taped to their RV door.

If there are people spending the entire summer there - and there were when we went through several years ago - then it is up to Walmart to do something about it.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #14

Heresy Post

Perhaps WM and others need to start charging a nominal daily fee. That would tend to discourage the abusers but would require a way to monitor those who paid and those who didn't.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote