Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #29
Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We did the ZEP wet look to our 1997 mh 2 years ago and it still looks great. No peeling, no yellowing, just a great shine. And our rig is stored outside in the Texas sun. (We also apply a single coat of ZEP once a year, making sure to deep clean before application)

Preparation is key to preventing peeling or yellowing. There are a number of threads here on irv2 that address how to do this process and if you haven't already, you should read through them. The threads include all the products you'll need and how to use them. Keep in mind you need to substitute ZEP for the references to Red Max Pro.

It took us about 30 hours to properly clean, prepare and apply the ZEP wet look product to our 33 foot MH. Make sure to work in the shade so nothing dries from the sun!

I was not the original owner of our current rig so I had no control over proper exterior maintenance from the time it was new. However the ZEP process was far cheaper than the $12,000 to $15,000 that body shops wanted to make it shine again.

Cheers from Central Texas
SPICoaster - 2008 Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite 5th Wheel
SPICoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Flacamper View Post
I'm thinking of doing this to my 2012 APEX. Can you apply it over decals?
I applied it over mine and see no problems. As best as I can remember, people have reported using this for 4 years or more without problems or yellowing. I am a huge fan of this stuff because how it made my old MH look new and exterior maintanence is about zero.

However, your coach is new and doesn't really 'need' it. I would be a bit reluctant to advise you to put this on a new rig. I know you can take it off because I did it when I made a few mistakes. I can tell you it's much more time consuming getting it off than putting it on.

I think if it were me, I would say do the front end or a certain section and wait a year or so to evaluate it yourself, just to be on the safe side. If I had applied this 4 years ago, instead of 18 months, I may have advised differently. My old boss used to tell me, "Let your conscience be your guide"

John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #31
Do you use the powder or liquid Barkeepers friend?
2008 KSDP/2013 Flex
They're both paid for and they're ours!
rlott2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Do you use the powder or liquid Barkeepers friend?
I used the powder with a Scotchbrite pad and TSP dissolved in a bucket of water. Removed chalk, sap, wax all in one scrub. Rinse, rinse, rinse, then applied coats of Red Max #3. I read the thread on here about RM#3 then did lots of google research on the subject. I found many boaters using it on there fiberglass boats with many years of success. I read about doing little fiberglass trailers that brought back the shine over many seasons. Knowing how hard it is to apply and buff wax for only a few months of service made me try RM#3 first, knowing I could strip it and go the wax route if it failed. I did it 16 months ago and it still looks good. I did a coat in April that required less than a day to prep and coat the whole RV so it looks as good as it did after I finished last year.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #33
zep its not a bandaid

I bought a 1996 allegro about two years ago it was perfict inside but the exterior was faided due to the exterior apperiance I got a very good deal on the coach. All the maintenance was done and all the records in the coach were good. Had all the manuals etc. I read about Zep and I decided I would give a try. I was going to repaint and redecal the coach so I washed used bkf and applied the Zep best thing I have ever done saved a ton of money. It sit outside in the Texas sun and it still looks great. I used about 1/2 a gallon it put 5 coats on my coach that was two years ago. Zep is no bandiad, Ive owned 3 other MHs and if I would have knowed what I know now I would not have been waxing every 6 mos.

bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote