Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #1

ZEP Wet Look

Put 6 coats on about 14 months ago and still looks great other than one 4'x4' area that has started to flake. Followed everyone advice for prep to the "T" so I'm not sure what happened to this area. Any rate will ammonia and water strip it off or do I need to go to H.D. and buy wax stripper?
Thanks!
Flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
A stripper would probably be the way to go as I doubt ammonia would do it. I had a gallon of acetone lying around when I did mine. It worked great the few times I messed up.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick View Post
Put 6 coats on about 14 months ago and still looks great other than one 4'x4' area that has started to flake. Followed everyone advice for prep to the "T" so I'm not sure what happened to this area. Any rate will ammonia and water strip it off or do I need to go to H.D. and buy wax stripper?
Thanks!
I would use the ZEP Stripper ... it's only about $10.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a small area flake also. Scrubbed with Bar Keeper's Friend which more or less feathered the original wax and then a couple of coats of liquid wax and you can't tell.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #5

Yep, that's what I finally tried. A little Bar Keepers then more wax. Looks perfect. Thanks!
Flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #6

Number of gal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick View Post
Thanks!

Can you tell me something with putting 6 coats on your RV, How much did you use?? I have a 40ft how many gal do I need? Thanks
ALFAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Alfaman....if you don't spill any on the ground...one gallon should give you 6-8 coats and still have some left over....when applying remember less is better and no runs whatsoever!!!!!
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #8

So just out of curiosity would someone explain to me the rational of using an indoor floor polish on a fiberglass exterior'd RV? Not slamming anyone at all, just don't get it. Having had boats for years I understand the importance of using a specialized UV stable product for gelcoat in the harsh outdoor environment and indoor floor polish made for the likes of linoleum isn't it. Especially when there are plenty of products made to do so. Again just asking.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #9

And please tell how much effort and elbow grease and time per coat is required.

I want to gauge my capability against the challenge.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
And please tell how much effort and elbow grease and time per coat is required.

I want to gauge my capability against the challenge.
Having put 4 coats on my 34 ft Adventurer, I can tell you much less effort than 1 coat of wax. Wash with Dawn and Barkeepers Friend, rinse thoroughly, wipe on Red Max or Zep. No rubbing, buffing, etc.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
So just out of curiosity would someone explain to me the rational of using an indoor floor polish on a fiberglass exterior'd RV? Not slamming anyone at all, just don't get it. Having had boats for years I understand the importance of using a specialized UV stable product for gelcoat in the harsh outdoor environment and indoor floor polish made for the likes of linoleum isn't it. Especially when there are plenty of products made to do so. Again just asking.
This stuff is acrylic and I liken it to clear coating. I faught the chaulking for several years before I gave up. I've had mine on for 18 months and I'm super happy. It doesn't yellow and keeps a like new shine. I used the Zep HTFF (High Traffic Floor Finish) which is used commerially in high traffic areas. Since no one is walking on my MH, I figure the 5 coats I put on will outlast me.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
Two rationals: Cost and effort. A gallon of Zep will coat an RV many, many times over. A gallon of Zep is well under $20. How much does "a specialized UV stable product for gelcoat" cost and how long before you have to apply again?
Once the surface is prepped with TSP and barkeeper's friend, the effort applying the finish is equivalent to wiping it down with a damp cloth. It takes more effort moving the ladder and repeatedly climbing and descending than applying the finish. For this effort, I get a finish that looks great and makes washing much easier for YEARS! Once a year I apply a new top coat and still on the original gallon.

I use the Zep High Traffic Floor Polish, I've been told it has more acrylic in it than the Wet Look.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Its used on FB that is beyond wax and chaulking up rapidly. Its cheap and easy to apply and brings back a shine to old FG. No real UV protection but when you get to this point the damage is done. However, I have used it in my end caps and the waxed over it. Looks great and im not waxing the end caps so often.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #14

Where are you people getting Zep and Red Max? I've seen it mentioned here before. We've been to Lowe's, Ace, Home Depot, WalMart, Camping World and K-Mart... no one carries these products.