Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #1

Zep Wet Look Finish

Today I took the step and applied Zep Wet Look Finish on my 1995 bounder motorhome and now it looks amazing. First, I used Dawn dish washing soap to clean the fiber glass completely. I removed any and all road dirt, other blemishes and anything that might be greasy. Then I washed it again to make sure there was no soap left behind and it was all clean. Secondly, I applied the Zep Wet Look Finish. I use a Swiffer dry pad and a spray bottle for a nice even coat. I sprayed on Zep Wet Coat onto the Swiffer pad and applied the Zep to the motorhome. I applied three coats and when I was done, the results were amazing. I waited an hour between coats. You can see your reflection in the finish. I thought that I would past this along to those are looking for the new look.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=870483339637940&set=ms.c.eJwtyskNwA AIA8GOIm6b~%3BhtLIHwsjbyEBB3smsmHa~%3Bdxh~%3Bw2q3I JaIy~%3BMNuaiuBZc932G40xVc5Euaamn2H7e55L1oEXTRsddg ~-~-.bps.a.618104044875872.1073741825.100000288457367& type=1&theater
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
Old 10-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I'm doing the same thing, but I am removing the worn and peeling graphic stickers, so I have to do a little wet sanding, then use bar keepers friend, dawn dish soap for the final wash, I'm just doing a section at a time, the prep work is 90% of this job and in my case labor intensive
Old 10-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #5

Go to your NAPA auto parts store, or Auto Zone and get the 3M eraser wheel for your power drill. You can get the job done in a short time without all the hard work. I used the wheel to remove the old bounder decals and replace them with new ones.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
Today I took the step and applied Zep Wet Look Finish on my 1995 bounder motorhome and now it looks amazing. First, I used Dawn dish washing soap to clean the fiber glass completely. I removed any and all road dirt, other blemishes and anything that might be greasy. Then I washed it again to make sure there was no soap left behind and it was all clean. Secondly, I applied the Zep Wet Look Finish. I use a Swiffer dry pad and a spray bottle for a nice even coat. I sprayed on Zep Wet Coat onto the Swiffer pad and applied the Zep to the motorhome. I applied three coats and when I was done, the results were amazing. I waited an hour between coats. You can see your reflection in the finish. I thought that I would past this along to those are looking for the new look.

Did you do this over the decal's also?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #7

How about a photo?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #8

Did the same to my 2003 Winnebago Adventurer this past summer. Used a micro fiber towel attached to a Swifter duster. Placed the Zep in a paint tray, dabbed excess liquid and then applied product. Used 4 coats and the shine is pretty spectacular. Went ahead and put the Zep on the graphics as well and they look better than they did before the Zep was applied. So far it's held up. My brother in law liked it so much I went over to his house and did the same to his RV. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413947294.069777.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	753.0 KB
ID:	77099
Old 10-22-2014, 03:05 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm afraid to do that to mine, I just have used wax for the last 4 years?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I'm afraid to do that to mine, I just have used wax for the last 4 years?
The key, me thinks, is the preparation. When I did mine, I did the Bar Keepers Friend and good wash treatment first. It held up for a year but then started peeling in a few spots. I'm about to do it again but have purchased some TCP. This time, I hope to nail the prep stage (as documented in other threads) and get better lasting results (like others have reported getting).
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #11

We did the Zep treatment to our 1994 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser; WOW, what a difference.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
The key, me thinks, is the preparation. When I did mine, I did the Bar Keepers Friend and good wash treatment first. It held up for a year but then started peeling in a few spots. I'm about to do it again but have purchased some TCP. This time, I hope to nail the prep stage (as documented in other threads) and get better lasting results (like others have reported getting).
I have seen what you were talking about.
You say it is coming off? Do you then need to lightly sand or use 00000 steal wool.
Gosh if it only lastes a year wouldn't you be better off just waxing her?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #13

Zep Wet Look Finish

An old trick here in Florida was to use a few coats of Penetrol on a faded fiberglass boat before placing it for sale. That trick would usually last a week or two.
The Zep or Red Max Pro floor finish should only be used on a finish that can't be restored to a realistic shine by normal waxing. After hours of rubbing compound and waxing producing inferior results I started to listen.
I did my old fifthwheel trailer and was satisfied with the results. Mine lasted almost 18 months before I reapplied it. If you let it go too long, you will have to strip it off to get the same results. The old trailer looked good the day I sold it after 4 years of shining floor polish.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #14

Yes I went over the decals when I did the zep. I have tried to upload pictures of the complete job, but the site won't let me. I could not find any direction in the help section. If someone could advise me as to how to upload the pictures I'd be more than happy to....